"Asking for a friend"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Really?

• yes

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • no

Votes: 40 85.1%

• Total voters

yoyoyoyoyolee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are people here really asking for a friend?

Members don't see this ad.

Are people here really asking for a friend?

4d6.jpg

donald-j-trump-1-hr-is-there-a-book-you-11706178.png

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares? I will never understand why people spend their precious time trying to out posters who claim they're posting for a friend. Maybe they actually are posting for a friend. And even if they aren't, why does it matter?

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on how crazy the question is. I've seen med students asking premed questions for a friend/relative, and I think those are legit.

We may wonder why "the friend" just doesn't post themselves, but there are many people who just won't make an acct.

I've asked "for a friend" when I've been asked a Q that totally stumps me.

Reactions: 1 user
No one I know with medical school aspirations is on SDN, nor are they informed well on the application process. I haven't had to ask for a friend so far, but I've had to use the search function for them. They just aren't internet people generally. It's basically anonymous anyway, so why would someone lie and say they are asking for a friend?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No one I know with medical school aspirations is on SDN, nor are they informed well on the application process. I haven't had to ask for a friend so far, but I've had to use the search function for them. They just aren't internet people generally. It's basically anonymous anyway, so why would someone lie and say they are asking for a friend?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Agree. Since it's anonymous anyways, the only benefit is if it's true. Sometimes when discussing a poster's options, we'll look at their previous posts to determine more information (A girl with a great MCAT, we looked and realized she also had a very poor first MCAT that she didn't tell us about). If a post isn't about that and isn't labeled that way, we might give improper advice. This is the only reason I can think of that it would matter.

I think my favorite asking for a friend was "so me and my friend are med students at different schools, they drug tested us on our way in, I've never smoked, but he wants to know if he can toke up now? Asking for a friend!!!"

Reactions: 1 user
I once actually posted for a friend. He wanted me to do so.

I've posted once or maybe twice for a friend. Both times I hadn't been asked the question directly, but I was curious to hear sdn's thoughts on "my friend's" situation. For example, (iirc) my friend told me he would postpone his mcat by a few months if he scored a 515 on the aamc practice exams bcuz he was aiming higher and so I wanted to see what others felt about this.