Asking for a letter of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GypsyHummus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am currently a sophomore right now and wanted to get a letter of rec from a DO. My uncle is a practicing MD and he gave me contact information of a family practice DO in my local area. However, that is all he game me, just a name.

The lady seems to have a lot of connections and very "in sync" with The osteopathic community as far as association activity, so I think that a letter of rec from her would look very nice. Considering my dream school requires a DO letter, (LECOM B lol) I need to start now.

The problem is, I have never met this doctor before. How do I get involved and how do I start to build a relationship with the doctor? Do I just call her office asking for shadowing opportunities? Is there a way to develope the relationship further past shadowing? Like working as a scribe or something?

In the end I want a very strong letter of rec. how should I go about even starting to get my foot in the door?

Members don't see this ad.

You get your foot in the door, by walking through it. (Wow, I should copyright that.)
But seriously, I would go visit the doctor in person and tell her that your M.D. friend recommended her. That'll probably land you the shadowing spot right there. Then, proceed to develop a professional relationship.

Hello everyone!

I am currently a sophomore right now and wanted to get a letter of rec from a DO. My uncle is a practicing MD and he gave me contact information of a family practice DO in my local area. However, that is all he game me, just a name.

The lady seems to have a lot of connections and very "in sync" with The osteopathic community as far as association activity, so I think that a letter of rec from her would look very nice. Considering my dream school requires a DO letter, (LECOM B lol) I need to start now.

The problem is, I have never met this doctor before. How do I get involved and how do I start to build a relationship with the doctor? Do I just call her office asking for shadowing opportunities? Is there a way to develope the relationship further past shadowing? Like working as a scribe or something?

In the end I want a very strong letter of rec. how should I go about even starting to get my foot in the door?

The problem most premeds have in the initial stages of this process is asking what they should do and how they should do it, rather than just doing it! Not trying to target you... I had this problem too.

The best thing to do is just call! Say your "blah blah" and you're a premed at ______ University, interested in osteopathic medicine, and would love to have an opportunity to shadow that doctor. Then you guys can work out a schedule. Once you're volunteering... you'll automatically build a relationship with the physician. Just show interest in what he/she's doing, ask questions (but not in a nagging way... you don't want to interrupt their practice), and be courteous and genuine.

But ya, first step is to just call! Try not to make it complicated! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem most premeds have in the initial stages of this process is asking what they should do and how they should do it, rather than just doing it! Not trying to target you... I had this problem too.

The best thing to do is just call! Say your "blah blah" and you're a premed at ______ University, interested in osteopathic medicine, and would love to have an opportunity to shadow that doctor. Then you guys can work out a schedule. Once you're volunteering... you'll automatically build a relationship with the physician. Just show interest in what he/she's doing, ask questions (but not in a nagging way... you don't want to interrupt their practice), and be courteous and genuine.

But ya, first step is to just call! Try not to make it complicated! :)

What would I do, just shadow? You mentioned volunteering, do they have volunteers at the doctors office or would I have to go through the hospital the doctor is associated with?

I meant shadowing... not volunteering. Sorry.

Call the physician's office directly and talk to him/her... or if he has a secretary, ask to leave a message with your contact info on it so the physician can get back to you.

Just be up front and tell her that you would like to shadow and possibly ask her to write you a letter of recommendation if the experience is a positive one.

Physicians too had to do this one day and they're certainly accustomed to doing this for other pre-meds. It's not something you should be nervous about at all.