Asking for a letter of recommendation 1 year in advance of applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyork-3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I plan to apply to Clinical Psych PhD and PsyD programs next year (Fall 2019) and hopefully attend starting in 2020. I just graduated with a BA in Psychology in May.

My question: does it make sense for me to ask a potential recommender from college if he would be willing to write a letter on my behalf this early in the game? I still have a little over a year until I actually apply, which I know is a very long time. However, I'm afraid that he might write a much stronger letter now than he would a year from now. Because I just graduated, we worked together very recently. It would likely be a lot easier for him to remember specific details about me, our work together, etc., at this point rather than in a year's time. He works with a lot of students, and I'm a bit nervous about being forgotten.

Is it even possible for a recommender to write a letter so early? Any way I could access the recommendation forms for the next application cycle?

Let me know. Maybe I'm just overthinking.

Members don't see this ad.

If possible, I'd keep working with that person in some capacity, even if remotely, over the upcoming year. It will be more meaningful to have a letter-writer say "I have known person X for 3 years and s/he has shown dedication to research even when we were not together, working on a project with me remotely."

I am not sure if that is a possibility or what your relationship is with them, but I would advise continuing to nurture the relationship and ask next summer/early fall instead of now. People may find it weird if one of your letter writers has a gap in the time of recommendation.

I would never write a letter in advance for someone. Just too much that can happen, and my letter is a reflection of my reputation. If it's inaccurate, that's on me. Lot of things can happen in a year. You can definitely talk to the potential letter writer and discuss your plans and ask if they may be willing to possibly serve as one of your letter writers. That way they can handle it in any way that they see fit. As jdawg said, if it's possible to still work with them in some capacity, even diminished, that could be helpful too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above. I wouldn't do it now either.

You may wish to talk with them about your timeline and ask if they'll be willing, as WisNeuro said. When it comes time to get the letter, always present info on things you've done and what not (CV, bullet pointed interests and reminders of tasks you worked on them with). If they forgot you completely in under a year, that says something as well.

If I were you I'd talk directly with the potential recommender about this and communicate your intentions to apply in another year. While not unusual for students to wait a year after graduation, as others have said, completely losing touch with this person will likely weaken the letter. I've had students continue to work with me during a gap year, even if it was in a reduced capacity compared to when they were a student, and it made letter writing much easier (and made for a stronger letter).