Asking for a letter of recommendation from the same professor twice? Will it be a lot of work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a professor submit a letter of recommendation for me. However, I want to apply for another internship that explores a topic that I legit wrote a 10 page paper on for her class. If I asked her for another LoR, do you think it would be easy for her to just tweak the previous one? I don't want to be annoying and make her write another whole letter. I'm curious if anyone else has been in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it will be very easy for her to tweak. Though, when you say "internship," do you mean a predoctoral internship or an externship/research assistantship? I assume you mean the latter. It won't be hard for her nonetheless. And she may, in fact, ask you to make the edits yourself.

I agree with the previous poster. Also I suggest writing her a thank you card afterwards- a little gesture like that goes a long way for many folks.

Only tangentially related, but... The more letters I write for people over the years the more irritated I get at the extreme rarity of any follow up from them (undergrads mostly). I specifically ask them to let me know if they do, in fact, land the position they are hoping for, because I do actually care to know. And yet I hardly ever hear from them again - unless they later need another letter for something. So don’t be that person :) although maybe most people don’t get as annoyed by that as I do.

But yeah should be very easy for them to tweak the letter