Asking for advice: should I take Biochemistry II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jliu2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for advice about whether I should take Biochemistry II. I received a C+ in Biochemistry I in the spring semester of my sophomore year because I got distracted by internship hunting and did not put enough time into it. I actually don't dislike biochemistry at all, so I want to take Biochemistry II in the spring semester of my junior year (in my school, biochemistry I and II are offered only in spring semester). However, I am not sure whether I should take it. On one hand, I want to work hard for it this time to prove to myself that I can understand biochemistry. On the other hand, I don't really have confidence that I could succeed in this class. I am not concerned about forgetting materials in biochemistry I because the cell biology class I am taking this semester covers a lot of materials in biochemistry I. I got B+ in ochem I but A in ochem II, so I feel like I could learn something I was not comfortable with in the first place if I don't give up. Yet I would like to hear how you think. Thanks for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for advice about whether I should take Biochemistry II. I received a C+ in Biochemistry I in the spring semester of my sophomore year because I got distracted by internship hunting and did not put enough time into it. I actually don't dislike biochemistry at all, so I want to take Biochemistry II in the spring semester of my junior year (in my school, biochemistry I and II are offered only in spring semester). However, I am not sure whether I should take it. On one hand, I want to work hard for it this time to prove to myself that I can understand biochemistry. On the other hand, I don't really have confidence that I could succeed in this class. I am not concerned about forgetting materials in biochemistry I because the cell biology class I am taking this semester covers a lot of materials in biochemistry I. I got B+ in ochem I but A in ochem II, so I feel like I could learn something I was not comfortable with in the first place if I don't give up. Yet I would like to hear how you think. Thanks for your help in advance!

Go for it man. If it is anything like my school, advanced biochem is literally the same as biochem I, except it stresses catalytic mechanisms instead of pathways. Either way, it will be good to prove to yourself and adcoms that you can master the material. Good luck.

Hi everyone,

Do you live in Texas?

Hi Flyers,

Yes, I attend Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas. I am an international student from Shanghai.