Asking for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingeagle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Fellow SDNers,

I won't be applying this upcoming cycle, but most likely the following one (I'm a sophomore now). But I wanted to get clear on LOR now rather than later.

I've realized that often it takes letter writers longer than applicants anticipate, often past June when people want to submit their app. So, would asking the fall before applying be too early? I figure this would give them plenty of time and would be early enough that they could focus more on that letter rather than later when more people ask.

Also, is it okay to ask for the recommendation immediately after your major interactions with them (say, after taking a class with them) even if you aren't applying for another year or two? Could it be stored somehow? I know there might be a website that does something like this but I'm not sure how it works. I just feel like it might be weird saying "I'm not applying to medical school for a year but will can you write me a recommendation now?"

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Fellow SDNers,

I won't be applying this upcoming cycle, but most likely the following one (I'm a sophomore now). But I wanted to get clear on LOR now rather than later.

I've realized that often it takes letter writers longer than applicants anticipate, often past June when people want to submit their app. So, would asking the fall before applying be too early? I figure this would give them plenty of time and would be early enough that they could focus more on that letter rather than later when more people ask.

Also, is it okay to ask for the recommendation immediately after your major interactions with them (say, after taking a class with them) even if you aren't applying for another year or two? Could it be stored somehow? I know there might be a website that does something like this but I'm not sure how it works. I just feel like it might be weird saying "I'm not applying to medical school for a year but will can you write me a recommendation now?"

Thanks!
It is better to ask for a letter soon after your interaction is finished when faculty recall of you is the strongest. It doesn't matter if the date is a year (or even two) old. Many colleges have a (free or low cost) letter storage service and if not, you could ask what the premed advisor recommends or what outside service is most commonly used by the faculty of your major department.