cee

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
455
4
Status
Post Doc
i've done numerous searches on this one, but i cant seem to find any threads, so here's my problem: i'm currently taking the 2nd series of chemistry with a professor that i really enjoy and who really knows me. i'm very confident that i'll get a good recommendation from her. problem is, i wont be applying to schools for another year or so (this class ends in may 05, and i wont be applying to when aacomas opens up in '06). should i ask for the recommendation now, and keep the copies to be sent out come 2006? or do i let her know what i'm doing and tell her i'll check back with her in a year? i really dont know what to do in this situation
 

JohnDO

MS III
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
655
0
Visit site
Status
Go for it. Sign up for interfolio.com and send them there. They'll store them for you and send them to schools for you when you're ready (with a fee). This guarantees schools that you haven't seen your letter (if you signed the waiver, etc.)
 

U4iA

εὐφορία
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
382
0
19
a state of well-being
Status
some schools will take a letter early.. they will just start your pre-med file earlier than the average student.. talk to your pre-med advisor..
 
OP
C

cee

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
455
4
Status
Post Doc
JohnDO said:
Go for it. Sign up for interfolio.com and send them there. They'll store them for you and send them to schools for you when you're ready (with a fee). This guarantees schools that you haven't seen your letter (if you signed the waiver, etc.)
interesting. i visted this website, how exactly does this system work? do i just send all recommendations to this center via mail and they keep it on file? and if i'm applying to multiple schools, do they just run off copies and send them out to the addresses you apply? it says that you have to "upload" your documents, so does that mean i gotta break my letter open and scan them into computer documents, to be uploaded to this institution's website? that would completey defeat the purpose of these LORs not being seen by the applicant. i hope i'd be able to have my professors send them directly to interfolio.com via mail, and have this company be like "aacomas for LORs" in terms of sending out copies to my respective med schools. lastly, is this place approved by any/all schools (i.e.- MD and DO schools)?

i'm a non-degree seeking postbacc student, so i dont have a pre-med advising committee and am basically gathering up things by myself, so i gotta figure out how this whole thing works
 

Peace&Health

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2004
198
1
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
chuckcamp said:
interesting.

i'm a non-degree seeking postbacc student, so i dont have a pre-med advising committee and am basically gathering up things by myself, so i gotta figure out how this whole thing works
I don't know where you are from, but I know there are some letter services that allow you to pay and use their service, even if you're not a student there. BTW, even if you are a student there, you still have to pay, just a slightly more reduced fee. For example, I did some post-bac work at San Francisco state, and they allowed non-SFSU students utilize the service.

The other alternative, is to ask your letter writers for many copies of the letters. But I would say getting a letter service may be a better bet because you don't have to keep on asking your letter writer in case you need more.
 

Peace&Health

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2004
198
1
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
chuckcamp said:
i've done numerous searches on this one, but i cant seem to find any threads, so here's my problem: i'm currently taking the 2nd series of chemistry with a professor that i really enjoy and who really knows me. i'm very confident that i'll get a good recommendation from her. problem is, i wont be applying to schools for another year or so (this class ends in may 05, and i wont be applying to when aacomas opens up in '06). should i ask for the recommendation now, and keep the copies to be sent out come 2006? or do i let her know what i'm doing and tell her i'll check back with her in a year? i really dont know what to do in this situation
This is the time to ask, when they still remember you. 6 months before you apply (say Jan.), ask your letter writers if they would be willing to update your letter for you (since its best if not more than 2 years old), and tell them what you've been up to since they last wrote you the letter. This way, they can write you a genuine letter, even if they may not remember who you are. I did this. I had my letter service mail the letter back to my letter writer and they were able to easily revise it.