Asking for LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfectionist08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When asking for letters of recommendation, should you first bring up the subject in person or via email? See, the professors I want to ask are not always in their office during office hours because they're incredibly busy. Should I email them saying something like, "I would like to meet with you to discuss the graduate application process and possibly writing a letter of recommendation."? Or should I pray that they will be available and ask them in person?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good question. Best would be in person, but it may not always be possible. I had that very situation with a faculty member. I finally ended up emailing them asking when, other than office hours, they might have a free moment to speak with me. The prof emailed back that I should call her on her cellphone. Although I was reluctant to bother her at home in the evening, I swallowed hard and made the call. She was very nice about it, and I was glad I did it.

Bottom line: I think it depends on the individual circumstances. Just don't let your reluctance keep you from pursuing them for the rec. Remember, most important is to leave them enough time to write the letter without feeling rushed.

Good luck.:)

I emailed all of mine asking if I could set up an appointment with them to discuss my grad school applications, then asked them in person.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, guys. I'll email one of the professors I know I won't be able to catch in person.

I emailed all of mine asking if I could set up an appointment with them to discuss my grad school applications, then asked them in person.

I did the same as cara. I think asking in person can only help their positive impression of you. I did ask one professor via email but he works in a very very big research lab and asks students to write him through email, so he made it known that this was his wish.

I emailed both the professors and then later had phone contact with one of them. I also emailed them my essay so that they would have the opportunity to become more familiar with my reasons for wanting to be in the program, my interests, etc. My professors collaborated with me, via email (and phone) in regards to some general things I would like mentioned in the essay.

As far as my clinical letter, that was discussed in person because the individual was my current clinical supervisor at the time.