Asking for LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deb123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to ask for LORs so that the pre-med committee can write a LOR for me. I've chosen professors from whom I want LORs, but I haven't asked them yet and I don't take their classes anymore. What's a good way to ask via email if I could drop by their office and see if they are willing to write me a strong LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

I need to ask for LORs so that the pre-med committee can write a LOR for me. I've chosen professors from whom I want LORs, but I haven't asked them yet and I don't take their classes anymore. What's a good way to ask via email if I could drop by their office and see if they are willing to write me a strong LOR?

Stop by their office during office hours. Explain that you're applying for med school and that you need a LOR and if they would be willing to write you one. Prepare to have a CV to hand to them. Follow up with them after ward to make sure they get it done in time

I don't take their classes anymore, so I don't know when their office hours are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't take their classes anymore, so I don't know when their office hours are.

Registrar should know.
If not, it should be posted on their door. Stop by if you're still on campus. It is best to ask in person, especially if it's been a while since you've talked to them. But if you're not at the school anymore, send them an e-mail. Give them your contact number and ask them to call if they want to talk further etc etc.