Asking for opinion from experienced doctors regarding the type of visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Levine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an FMG from Indonesia. I am planning to join this year's application cycle for internal medicine residency. My goal is to become a general cardiologist in the future. And I would also like to practice cardiology in the US. During my research about residency, I come across two different opinions regarding visa. The first opinion is that if you want a cardiology fellowship, then J1 visa is much better because PDs will not look at applicants with H1B visa. The second opinion is that it is better to take H1B visa (if you are offered), so that after residency you can work and become a green card holder faster, which greatly enhance your chance of getting a fellowship.

Therefore, my questions are:

1. Can anybody (esp. FMGs) share their experience / view from selecting visa in residency until becoming a full - time attending ?

2. In your personal opinion, is it better / more feasible to have a J1 visa, do a cardiology fellowship, and then do a J1 Waiver OR have an H1B visa, work as a hospitalist 2 years, and then apply for cardiology fellowship ?

Thank you for your attention. I would really appreciate any feedback or information.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am an FMG from Indonesia. I am planning to join this year's application cycle for internal medicine residency. My goal is to become a general cardiologist in the future. And I would also like to practice cardiology in the US. During my research about residency, I come across two different opinions regarding visa. The first opinion is that if you want a cardiology fellowship, then J1 visa is much better because PDs will not look at applicants with H1B visa. The second opinion is that it is better to take H1B visa (if you are offered), so that after residency you can work and become a green card holder faster, which greatly enhance your chance of getting a fellowship.

Therefore, my questions are:

1. Can anybody (esp. FMGs) share their experience / view from selecting visa in residency until becoming a full - time attending ?

2. In your personal opinion, is it better / more feasible to have a J1 visa, do a cardiology fellowship, and then do a J1 Waiver OR have an H1B visa, work as a hospitalist 2 years, and then apply for cardiology fellowship ?

Thank you for your attention. I would really appreciate any feedback or information.

First and foremost you should concentrate on getting into the best residency possible ( in house cardiology fellowship, opportunities to do research, robust clinical training). Those are your key to a cardiology fellowship. Whether J1 or H1B, eventually both end up getting the green card though the J1 track is a bit more painful. My point is that if Cornell will give you J1 go for that instead of H1B in some small community program. You need to decide what is more important for you...fellowship or quicker green card.

Best chance of cardiology fellowship as an IMG is fresh out of residency. SO option one is the easiest. However that does not mean that you can't work as a hospitalist and end up back in cardiology.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your insight ROBINHO :)