Asking for Rec Letter: Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fyp7797

Reaction score
Currently in the process of beginning to ask professors and PIs for rec letters. Graduated in May, so meeting in person with professors to ask for letter is not an option. Any tips on crafting an email asking for rec letter that is personalized but does not sound too much like I'm sucking up to them ("I learned a lot in your class, etc.")? Any other phrases that recommenders appreciate in a rec letter request? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

"Dear Prof. X,
Do you still remember me well enough to write me a good LOR for my app to medical school"
Do you attach a current CV with the email or remind them which class (and when) you took with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently in the process of beginning to ask professors and PIs for rec letters. Graduated in May, so meeting in person with professors to ask for letter is not an option. Any tips on crafting an email asking for rec letter that is personalized but does not sound too much like I'm sucking up to them ("I learned a lot in your class, etc.")? Any other phrases that recommenders appreciate in a rec letter request? thanks!
I am about to ask my professors too (currently a senior, applying next cycle) after this busy part of the school year. I would send them a nice greeting, remind them which class you took with them and which year, briefly update them on what you've been up to after graduation, and ask if they "still remember me well enough to write me a good LOR for my app to medical school" (in @Goro 's words) but of course phrased more politely. If they say yes I'll send them what they request (cv, personal statement, etc)