Asking interviewers questions not about the school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

effectedtag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
One of my interviewers is a physician. Can I ask more personal questions such as insights about his professional career? I.e using my own volunteer experiences and asking how he handles situation that I have noticed from said experience.

Or should all questions be directed about the school?

Members don't see this ad.

If the question implies that you have "googled" them, it can come off a bit stalkerish.
They gave out the interviewers over a month in advance. A simple search of the interviewer revealed his specialty etc. Is that not off limits?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't recommend it.
I appreciate your advice. I just find it hard to believe I cannot ask a question about an interviewers specialty. It's not like I went on his personal Facebook page and am asking questions about his family.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate your advice. I just find it hard to believe I cannot ask a question about an interviewers specialty. It's not like I went on his personal Facebook page and am asking questions about his family.
If they reveal their specialty during the interview, it is a question that evolves from your conversation. If they don't. it's a bit creepy.

If they reveal their specialty during the interview, it is a question that evolves from your conversation. If they don't. it's a bit creepy.
Fair enough. It seems this person is not even faculty at said school, so it seemed pointless to ask school related questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I googled my interviewer and disclosed that in my interview. We laughed about modern times and the accessibility of information and acknowledged they expected candidates to Google. I asked if they were open to some questions about their career path as it had some similarities to my career goals. They were open to it and we had a great conversation. I was accepted to that school.

Not to say this is a recommendation to do it, but just an anecdote.

Reactions: 4 users
Why would you ask questions about me? You are there for me to understand what you are about. If the interview ends early, which might indicate a positive or negative outcome. At that time, I would not think it a problem, but still a little odd.

Why would you ask questions about me? You are there for me to understand what you are about. If the interview ends early, which might indicate a positive or negative outcome. At that time, I would not think it a problem, but still a little odd.
Because there is a 10-15 minute period dedicated to asking questions to the interviewers.

Reactions: 3 users
I would generally say feel the room. Some people love talking about their experience and research and wisdom and if you frame it right it might open them up to sharing more about themselves in a way that is natural. And when I did it, I would usually frame it as "I was interested in what type of research you did" and try and relate it to something I had either done or hoped to do in the future.

However, if the vibe doesn't seem friendly for that I would agree with above and just avoid.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I would generally say feel the room. Some people love talking about their experience and research and wisdom and if you frame it right it might open them up to sharing more about themselves in a way that is natural. And when I did it, I would usually frame it as "I was interested in what type of research you did" and try and relate it to something I had either done or hoped to do in the future.

However, if the vibe doesn't seem friendly for that I would agree with above and just avoid.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Awesome! That is more what I was referring to. Using my own experiences and relating them to their speciality and how they deal with things I have encountered.

Because you're an interesting person, Angus!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
In a interview, I mentioned that the school had given out the interviewers’ names and titles before the interview day, and I asked a question about a school-specific experience I had seen on the interviewer’s faculty page. Was this a mistake? I didn’t think it would be an issue considering the information was from their professional faculty page, but I can see how this could be received negatively.
This is what gyngyn was mentioning earlier. Even if you are aware that certain information about you is out there an easily accessible to the public with your full consent, it can still be a little weird when someone who you haven't personally talked to about it brings it up. I think it's uncharitable of the interviewer to hold it against you, but that doesn't mean they don't feel a little stalked when you mention something specific.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my interviewers is a physician. Can I ask more personal questions such as insights about his professional career? I.e using my own volunteer experiences and asking how he handles situation that I have noticed from said experience. Or should all questions be directed about the school?
Since time is often limited, I would recommend focusing your questions on things that will matter to you when deciding between schools (assuming you are among those with ≥1 acceptance). The interview goes both ways and is an opportunity for you to assess whether we are a mutual fit. Generally, such questions are school-specific, whether they be related to the school/hospital system itself, the city it's in, or other opportunities in that geographic region.
- What drew you to DOGE College of Medicine?
- How has your career been helped/influenced by DOGE-COM?
- What is something an outsider wouldn't know about DOGE-COM? (alternatively: ask this about the city!)
- What's one thing you wish you could change about the school?
- What is it like to live in Doge city? What is your favorite part?
- Is there something you wish you had known prior to moving here?
Personally, when applicants ask me questions unrelated to the school/area, I do feel that they are wasting a valuable opportunity to gain school-specific information and to display curiosity/interest. This is particularly true if an applicant's questions are mostly nonspecific. General questions about medicine or a particular specialty ("why did you go into psychiatry?") are best left for shadowing, online forums/AMA's, or after a mentor-mentee relationship has been established. The same applies to solicitations for advice. Just my thoughts.

Since time is often limited, I would recommend focusing your questions on things that will matter to you when deciding between schools (assuming you are among those with ≥1 acceptance). The interview goes both ways and is an opportunity for you to assess whether we are a mutual fit. Generally, such questions are school-specific, whether they be related to the school/hospital system itself, the city it's in, or other opportunities in that geographic region.
- What drew you to DOGE College of Medicine?
- How has your career been helped/influenced by DOGE-COM?
- What is something an outsider wouldn't know about DOGE-COM? (alternatively: ask this about the city!)
- What's one thing you wish you could change about the school?
- What is it like to live in Doge city? What is your favorite part?
- Is there something you wish you had known prior to moving here?
Personally, when applicants ask me questions unrelated to the school/area, I do feel that they are wasting a valuable opportunity to gain school-specific information and to display curiosity/interest. This is particularly true if an applicant's questions are mostly nonspecific. General questions about medicine or a particular specialty ("why did you go into psychiatry?") are best left for shadowing, online forums/AMA's, or after a mentor-mentee relationship has been established. The same applies to solicitations for advice. Just my thoughts.
Thank you for the advice. It seems like the consensus is questions are better off being related at least somewhat to the school. I guess I just did not want to ask questions that I figured the interviewers received frequently and show a bit more novelty.

Reactions: 1 user
If the question implies that you have "googled" them, it can come off a bit stalkerish.
Yeah op usually what they do will come up in the interview naturally. Just wait until the right time

Because there is a 10-15 minute period dedicated to asking questions to the interviewers.
Yes, technically correct. Just because you can do something doesn't always mean it's the best idea to actually do it. See @Moko 's response further down the thread. He explains this very well. Good luck and best wishes!