Asking letter of rec from 4 year advisor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepingPillow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is asking your 4 year advisor for a letter of rec a common practice? I dont see many/any people saying they got a letter from their advisor so I was wondering. My advisor is about the only person that knows about my struggles freshman year and has seen how I progressed throughout college (met with her once or twice every semester, more so in the beginning), so I thought maybe she would be a good person to write a letter for me. Would this letter be useful or would it not because I didnt take a class with her?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming "4 year advisor" means an academic advisor who is not also your pre-health advisor.

Are you submitting individual letters or planning to be reviewed by a pre-health committee when you apply to schools? I only ask because I don't believe it could hurt for you to get the letter from your 4 year advisor if it gave your pre-health director a unique and important perspective of you while they wrote the committee letter. I imagine it would be nice to add that depth/humanity on top of the typical academic/EC spiel of a committee letter.

I'm assuming "4 year advisor" means an academic advisor who is not also your pre-health advisor.

Are you submitting individual letters or planning to be reviewed by a pre-health committee when you apply to schools? I only ask because I don't believe it could hurt for you to get the letter from your 4 year advisor if it gave your pre-health director a unique and important perspective of you while they wrote the committee letter. I imagine it would be nice to add that depth/humanity on top of the typical academic/EC spiel of a committee letter.

Yeah not my pre-health advisor! And yes, my school does a committee letter after reviewing all my letters. That's a good point, I'll think about it!