Asking LOR writer to put in a word?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhmocksuhsillen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if this would be appropriate...

Still waiting on an interview from my sub-i. Really love this program and had a great experience there. Honored, great eval, hit it off with the residents, and even worked with the PD who praised me to the residents. Last thing he said was they would have me back on campus for an interview as a formality.

Since then complete silence. I sent an email last week just mentioning how much I still love this program and got nothing. Would it be too much to ask my lor writer at this program to put in a word for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so it would be too much; I would see this as evidence of your interest.

I don't think so it would be too much; I would see this as evidence of your interest.

Thanks. Mainly didn't want to come across as too pushy, etc.

But I'm leaning towards it. Really not sure what else to do to possibly generate an ii from this program I would absolutely love to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how much mileage there is in that. You already rotated there and got an LoR from this person. Since you met the PD already and worked with the PD, in this instance, I would call the PC and PD and explain you rotated there, were told you would be invited back for an interview and are trying to finalize your interview schedule and hadn't heard back yet.

If you had a good relationship with the attending who wrote the letter you could let them know you hadn't heard back about an interview yet and were wondering what was happening. but that person has already written you a letter and probably spoken to the PD about you so not sure it would make much difference. also its possible that the PD might hate that attending, or they may not have any influence on on who gets interviewed etc

In terms of being pushy, as long as you don't come across as entitled, and make sure you are respectful, I think it is okay to politely inquire about what's happening since you were hoping to have gotten an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure how much mileage there is in that. You already rotated there and got an LoR from this person. Since you met the PD already and worked with the PD, in this instance, I would call the PC and PD and explain you rotated there, were told you would be invited back for an interview and are trying to finalize your interview schedule and hadn't heard back yet.

If you had a good relationship with the attending who wrote the letter you could let them know you hadn't heard back about an interview yet and were wondering what was happening. but that person has already written you a letter and probably spoken to the PD about you so not sure it would make much difference. also its possible that the PD might hate that attending, or they may not have any influence on on who gets interviewed etc

In terms of being pushy, as long as you don't come across as entitled, and make sure you are respectful, I think it is okay to politely inquire about what's happening since you were hoping to have gotten an interview.

Thanks so much. So just to be clear (since I wasn't specifically clear in my op), I already emailed the PD a week and a half ago and basically just reiterated how much I love their program; i.e. remind them about me in case they forgot.

Since I didn't hear anything, you don't think it'd be pushy to reach back our to PC and PD via call or email?

Last edited:
Thanks so much. So just to be clear (since I wasn't specifically clear in my op), I already emailed the PD a week and a half ago and basically just reiterated how much I love their program; i.e. remind them about me in case they forgot.

Since I didn't hear anything, you don't think it'd be pushy to reach back our to PC and PD via call or email?
It is pushy. Btw you already rotated there so it is not going to make any difference you professing your love for the program. But you are more likely to get a response by calling and it’s okay as long as you aren’t entitled or demanding. Just politely requesting to know so you can finalize your interview schedule is okay

Reactions: 1 users