Asking medical school deans for advice - for another med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDtobe31311

Class of 2014!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one more interview left for this season - and it's my top choice school. Unfortunately I have no acceptances at the moment, just waitlists. I thought both of my interviews went really well, so now I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make my last one amazing.

I know people contact the deans of admissions at schools they didn't get into/ waitlisted at to ask what was wrong with their application. I definitely plan on doing that, but I wonder if it would/ would not be a good idea to ask "I would like to know because I have interview at school X coming up and this could really help me"

My pre med advisor said I definitely should, because it means I'm not wasting their time. But I'm worried that I'll look like I'm not as into their school if I do that - and maybe not get off of their waitlist (their numbers fit me better than the school I'm going to interview at). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what knowledge you could gain from this that you could fix before the next interview.

If they say your gpa is low, you gain nothing.
If they say your mcat is low, you gain nothing.
If they say your letters are bad, you gain nothing.
etc. etc.

If you actually get bad news from them that you can't fix, it may just get you down before the next interview.

I would wait until you are 100% sure you aren't getting into medical school before I go down this road. Just my opinion though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what knowledge you could gain from this that you could fix before the next interview.

etc. etc.

If you actually get bad news from them that you can't fix, it may just get you down before the next interview.

I would wait until you are 100% sure you aren't getting into medical school before I go down this road. Just my opinion though.

You're probably right. I suppose at this point they wouldn't be able to remember/ give me detailed feedback on my interview anyway.

Does anyone else have any other opinions or stories of similar instances?

If your interview sucked, you gain something!

First of all, they wouldn't tell you that. Secondly, interviews in my opinion are subjective. One guy could have a horrible interview at one school and great at another. One or two meh interviews does not necessarily equate to a problem with the OP.

I have one more interview left for this season - and it's my top choice school. Unfortunately I have no acceptances at the moment, just waitlists. I thought both of my interviews went really well, so now I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make my last one amazing.

I know people contact the deans of admissions at schools they didn't get into/ waitlisted at to ask what was wrong with their application. I definitely plan on doing that, but I wonder if it would/ would not be a good idea to ask "I would like to know because I have interview at school X coming up and this could really help me"

My pre med advisor said I definitely should, because it means I'm not wasting their time. But I'm worried that I'll look like I'm not as into their school if I do that - and maybe not get off of their waitlist (their numbers fit me better than the school I'm going to interview at). Thoughts?

It sounds awkward to do that. Don't mention another school. Just go get some advice but ONLY if it's not going to hinder your mindset before the other interview.

What if they tell you that you need to fix something that isn't part of your soft skills (interview, essay writing, etc) ... what if GPA/MCAT is a huge issue. Nothing you can do. If I were you, I wouldn't attend this "help" session.

etc. etc.

If you had bad hard stats would you even be getting the interview to start with?

Ask him why my acceptance letter was sent to the wrong address? Also, ask him why it takes a medical school about a year to write a one page rejection letter.