Asking Medical School when I will interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I have still not received an invitation to interview and I am thinking about emailing the school to ask if and when I will interview. Do you think I should do this or just keep waiting? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would leave it alone for fear of annoying the school. Moreover, the school might not even be in a position to tell you yet (e.g. they may be waiting to hear from accepted students to see if further interviews are necessary and if so, how many; others extend their interviews well into the Spring and may still be processing applications, etc.).

Hello I have still not received an invitation to interview and I am thinking about emailing the school to ask if and when I will interview. Do you think I should do this or just keep waiting? Thanks

Nope. No point in doing it. We all have to cater to their timeline. Only contact them if you have updates (and only to some schools) or if there was some sort of mistake on your transcript that you'd like corrected. Some schools wait all the way into March or later just to send you a rejection letter, while other schools also extend interviews right around that time (when there is more movement out of their accepted pool).

Members don't see this ad :)

"School" singular?

Applying to only one school risks sending the message that you're over-confident, and that you'd like to go to medical school if it's convenient, so not exactly burning desire. Hopefully just a typo?

Asking "When I will interview" is very different from asking to be extended an interview.

First one makes you sound arrogent and is a big NO NO
The second one is part of Letter of Interest. It may be ok to draft one and send it if but dont expect it to work.

The general answer would be no.

Besides that, we don't know when you applied. For example some people applied all the back in June, if you were of those people and didn't get any invite then your panic may be justified. On the other hand, if you're a late applicant who just applied in the last month or two I wouldn't worry about it because most of the interview spots were booked by early applicants anyways.

If you're in the first boat then try sending a letter of intent, or a letter to update them on the progress you've made. If you're in the second position, and barely just applied hold off on the neurotic letters.

And like the other users, I really hope you meant schools and not 'school'.

I can think of no faster way to get yourself rejected for being so presumptuous and clueless.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing this would do is to show them that you are at best impatient and at worst entitled. No bueno.

Reactions: 1 user