Asking out a resident as a med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medInUSA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
never thought that I would be starting a thread like this, but I'm really curious so here it goes.

What are your views on asking out a resident when you are a 4th year med student??

I saw the most gorgeous resident today, not part of my team, and thought about asking her out.

I would never ever do this as a third year, because you never know how it will affect your grade etc. However as a fourth year I was really considering it. Good idea, terrible idea?
come on...really?
just make sure you aren't at risk somehow of being deemed unprofessional or something

to be safe, find someone else...

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps consider having a conversation with her before you ask her out. :D

never thought that I would be starting a thread like this, but I'm really curious so here it goes.

What are your views on asking out a resident when you are a 4th year med student??

I saw the most gorgeous resident today, not part of my team, and thought about asking her out.

I would never ever do this as a third year, because you never know how it will affect your grade etc. However as a fourth year I was really considering it. Good idea, terrible idea?

So you're just assuming she'd say yes? Just a tad cocky, aren't we?

dude go for it, if you've submitted ERAS and have your LORs nothing bad can possibly happen, right?

So you're just assuming she'd say yes? Just a tad cocky, aren't we?

It seems to me that you're assuming that OP is assuming. Nothing in his post suggests that she'll necessarily say yes.

I agree with this one. Feel her out first and see if she gives you those non-verbal cues when girls are interested. PM if you dont know what they are.

No need to risk something on nothing there....investigate first.

Then, ask if she can write you a prescription for "love"....:laugh:

The answer to your question depends upon whether or not she is married, unless you sense that she is a swinger.

Possibly a resident or attending where you'll be a resident next year? Dunno about any policies or any such thing -- though I suspect it happens all the time -- but I'd say tread lightly, friend. :thumbup:

Go for it :thumbup:

Some additional thoughts upon further reflection: Contrary to the popular myth, there actually are some attractive women in medicine. But, beginning with day one of med school, I have never seen a gorgeous girl who is unattached. Invariably, they are always attached. So if you make a pass at this woman, your chances are slim to none. She will either be married or in a serious relationship. That is the harsh reality, my friend. But you deserve respect for taking a shot and having some self confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)

Bad idea. "A bird does not s--t in its own nest". Leave this alone and pick up the undergrads that will think you are a superman.

Asking out a resident on your team is a hilariously bad idea. If you've submitted ERAS already and don't have any professional involvement then I don't think it's a big deal.

There is at least one person in my class who is married to an OB/GYN resident. A normal person shouldn't care that you're "only" a med student but the world is not full of 100% normal people so YMMV...

A guy in my class is engaged to a Radiology resident. He met her at a coffee shop while he was studying for the MCAT and she was studying for the boards. I think it's pretty funny how they met, but things seem to be working out pretty well for them so far.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see a problem as long as she's not in your field so to speak. Obviously you're a student, so I mean the field you intend on pursuing. For example, if you're going into medicine or surgery and she's a derm or peds resident, who cares? She'll never be in a direct position of power over you or have ANY say in your grade. Just make sure you do it discreetly. Oh and get to know her first and build rapport and attraction. Just straight up asking for her number or something similarly douchy is almost guaranteed failure.

I have a secret fantasy to date a powerful, older attending...

If you tell everyone is it considered a secret fantasy still?

I don't see why not. One of my classmates is dating an attending (in a completely unrelated field), and one of the interns I worked with last month started dating a resident when she was a student. He finished residency when she finished med school.

I agree with the previous posters who noted that all the good-looking residents that I can think of are already taken.

It happens. Chances are you won't be doing it in an empty OR or in the clean utilities room but it happens.

It happens. Chances are you won't be doing it in an empty OR or in the clean utilities room but it happens.
a nurse at the VA told me they do it in the dirty utilities room. less evidence.

Sounds like this resident probably doesn't even know you exist. I'm curious as to what your game plan here is. Are you just going to walk up to her cold and ask her out? An approach like that could easily backfire on you no matter what your status is.

a nurse at the VA told me they do it in the dirty utilities room. less evidence.

Was it the loud-mouth, raspy smoker voice, overweight nurse?

Just kidding...that describes literally hundreds of nurses at the VA.

i know residents who are astutely aware of a social hierarchy in medicine, and as such, would be embarrassed to admit to dating a medical student.
Well, my partner has a flourishing medical career, while I'm only a med student and she was already practicing when I was still finishing my pre-reqs. There were probably some words against, as I hate most of her dirtbag friends because they're superficial ***** that think they're hotter **** than they are, but still single at the same time, and perhaps from her family, who is a medical family as well, but once in the position, it worked out fantastic for all of us. It's a great support system to have, along with information base, and they also understand what life is like for me as well.

i know residents who are astutely aware of a social hierarchy in medicine, and as such, would be embarrassed to admit to dating a medical student.

They couldn't possibly let the world know that they have anything in common with a medical student! :laugh:

Interesting responses.

Yes when I would ask, I always assume she will say yes. This goes for asking out any girl. If you assume she will say no, then this will come through in your body language, your tonality etc, and the girl will sense this assumption, she will subconciously deduce that you have low self confidence, and then will definitely say no. So if I ask, it is always with the assumption that the answer will be in the affirmative.

I decided to NOT ask her out, since looking at the big picture, women currently would be an unnecessary distraction from what's really important. I am applying in derm and have an away next month, so instead of dating I should be reading in my free time.

what a depressing end to what could have an interesting story. FAIL.

:laugh: Yep. Always a good idea to have at least a few conversations before popping the question....lol Otherwise you'll give the poor girl the willies, for sure.

This was actually the same scenario for how my girlfriend's sister found her husband.

He was actually her resident while she was a med student. She went for it and I mean they are both happily married now...well as happy as married gets I suppose lol

Go for it!!! You never know she may be the "one"!

^ "well as happy as married gets I suppose"

LOL