Asking PI for Rec Letter for Summer Research Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binderpaper

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working in a research lab on campus for a little under a year (8 hrs a week). I plan on continuing to work there for 2 more years until I graduate, and I try to show the grad student/PI that I am appreciative of the opportunity. There is another summer research program I have been eyeing since I was in high school, as the topic of research is very near and dear to me. I need 2 rec letters for it. Should i ask my PI for one, as he would best be able to describe my work in a lab setting? I would only be doing this program for the summer and then committing fully to the on campus lab during the following school year. Is it weird to ask or no?? I don't want him to think I'm uncommitted or will do anything to add things to my resume.

Members don't see this ad.

You're working in his lab, not marrying him.

Ask for the letter and if he asks explain to him what you said to us. Totally reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been working in a research lab on campus for a little under a year (8 hrs a week). I plan on continuing to work there for 2 more years until I graduate, and I try to show the grad student/PI that I am appreciative of the opportunity. There is another summer research program I have been eyeing since I was in high school, as the topic of research is very near and dear to me. I need 2 rec letters for it. Should i ask my PI for one, as he would best be able to describe my work in a lab setting? I would only be doing this program for the summer and then committing fully to the on campus lab during the following school year. Is it weird to ask or no?? I don't want him to think I'm uncommitted or will do anything to add things to my resume.

Yes, ask him! I also worked in the same lab all through undergrad but also applied for outside opportunities. I was a bit worried that my PI would want me to stay on campus for my summer, but he was super supportive by writing me a letter and said getting experience elsewhere would be valuable. I bet yours will be equally as supportive!

Reactions: 1 user