Asking to work more in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packattack54

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's possible to ask for more hours/work do gain more clinical experience/boost case numbers. If so, how would a person go about this? Moonlighting is not available at my program

Okay, you might ask "why would you ever do that?!" but hear me out on this... I know I'm soon to be a fresh new PGY-1 but the program I'm going to sort of has a reputation for being more book smart and less clinically skilled. Also, my program is pretty relaxed in terms of hours so there is definitely room to work more.

What are your thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps consider revisiting this idea after you've worked a single day.

Reactions: 12 users
Many of us have felt as you do early on. But the truth is you will be working far harder than anything you have experienced in medical school. And each hour much more stressful. Until the blood is on your hands, it's hard to understand. That's why ppl saying wait and see.

I had a residency classmate who refused breaks, lunches, and end of day relief. Nice guy, just very tightly wound. Also, the only guy from my program in a number of years to fail oral boards. Make of that what you will. If you just refuse to go home, they'll probably let you keep working (within duty hour limits, of course).

but the program I'm going to sort of has a reputation for being more book smart and less clinically skilled. Also, my program is pretty relaxed in terms of hours so there is definitely room to work more.

Some days I wish my program had this problem... but I agree with OP, it has to be a balance though. :shrug:

Unfortunately in our program billing overrules all, so even if residents want to do extra cases instead of just the first round case won't happen because of wanting to maximize supervising ratio and not lose billing time if a crna relieves after residents have been in the case for a good portion of the time. This leads to either residents getting out earlier or staying very late.

I am just like OP, I like being in the room. I don't really need breaks unless bathroom for 5 minutes, but as you progress along you realize it doesn't matter anymore and not worth slaving away. I do turn down breaks when people come at awkward times like induction (seriously?, Pick a better time) or on emergence (yeah let me hand off this rollercoaster case at the end and hope you remember some of what I said and be able to give report), or if im in the middle doing 10 things at once, or if it's a CRNA I don't trust. Keep in mind it's usually CRNAs who do this **** since no accountability or duty to the patient.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you framed your question wrong. It sounds like you are concerned about being under skilled not underworked. Honing your skills is what the ca2 and especially ca3 year is about. It's important to evaluate where you're at the end of the ca1 and 2 years and be agreesive about addressing your weaknesses. Most of your attending will be willing to work with you on that. If you leave residency not being good at a certain case or procedure it's probably your own fault.

Instead of asking for more cases, use your down time to help a buddy induce in a good learning case. The perspective gained and friendship built is worth more than you hammering away at another ortho case.

Reactions: 3 users