Aspiring Med Student: Formal PostBacc to Informal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freudian Study

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not entirely sure if this particular board would cater to my issue but I am a "nontraditional student" in every sense of the word. If you can relate and/or offer insight, you are more than welcome (and encouraged) to:

Hello All,

I'm currently enrolled in a formal postbaccalaureate premedical program but due to unforeseen events (financially motivated) can no longer continue with the curriculum.

Since this fact has become painfully clear, I have considered transferring to a public institution (of my home state) to complete the prerequisites outlined by most medical schools. It just so happens that a full-course load at one of these public colleges (4 classes; 3 credits per) is the rough equivalent of one class I pay for at my current institution. I was hoping that someone could provide information about the wisdom/viability of this option. I aspire to attend medical school (any reasonable medical school, really) and would like to get an idea of the success rate for students in/of a similar circumstance. I would appreciate and welcome any advice on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

You do what you have to do. Obviously money is an issue so don't do the formal post bacc. Get the most bang for your buck. Not everyone has money and you takee that path that is available to you. No one is going to fault you for creating your own post bacc program. That's exactly what I had to do.

Taking classes at a 4 year school instead of a formal post bacc isn't going to hurt you if you can still do well in them. It may be more difficult to get advising and also to get a spot in the classes you need. I am doing an informal post bacc at a big university and I have a really difficult time getting into the classes (mostly labs) that I need.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an informal postbacc. Summer genchem at community college, the three others the following year at the affiliated 4 year state school. Total outlay $4K.

There was a formal postbacc at another state school a hundred miles away, but their class size was 300 vs my 30, and I figured I could get better LORs by keeping it small. Whatever I lost in genuine premed advising at the formal postbacc progam I more than made up for with SDN.

Do well and no one will care where you took the classes. You may be missing out on a committee letter but that doesn't really matter since the committee letter is more of a fomality, anyone who gets good grades and completes the requirements will get one. Just make sure you have good recommendations from professors and a physician if possible.

Good luck!

I also did informal work... for GPA repair, not for prereqs though... either way, it won't matter to the schools!

I did an informal postbacc. Summer genchem at community college, the three others the following year at the affiliated 4 year state school. Total outlay $4K.

There was a formal postbacc at another state school a hundred miles away, but their class size was 300 vs my 30, and I figured I could get better LORs by keeping it small. Whatever I lost in genuine premed advising at the formal postbacc progam I more than made up for with SDN.
This is so wonderful to hear!! I am about to finish undergrad at WashU and still need to take full years of Orgo and bio before applying in 2012. While my G.P.A. is not so hot (3.3), science G.P.A. even lower, I feel that because I only need two more classes it seems financially unreasonable to apply to formal post-baccs, which would probably take up more time that I could use getting clinical experience and making some seriously needed dough.

Thanks for the input!