aspiring pa has low undergrad gpa- any advice please?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambiguous718

Movin' on Up~!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, this is my first post

GPA: 2.42
attempted: 225
earned: 190.5
quality pts: 484.3

what do you guys think? im pretty much done with college this june (6th year) and i have aspirations on being a physician assistant. will taking classes even make a dent on this really low yet heavy gpa?

or should i just be a high school science teacher?.......:(

Members don't see this ad.

what do you guys think? im pretty much done with college this june (6th year) and i have aspirations on being a physician assistant. will taking classes even make a dent on this really low yet heavy gpa?

Only become a science teacher if that is what you want to do. If you want to work with patients in a clinic/hospital setting, then go that route.

Just looking at your GPA, it is too low for just about any graduate program (and I mean anything). Most graduate programs require a cGPA of at least a 3.0. So you need to work on your GPA. Take two years of courses as a post-bachelor and get the best GPA you can. You can also retake classes you did bad in.

What you will need to focus on is your last 60 credits.

Retake any prerequisite classes you didn't get an A in and get an A in them. Retake any classes you failed or got a D in and get an A in them. Consider completing a masters degree or second bachelors degree and getting a 3.5+ GPA. You will also need to have a solid explanation for the low GPA. Make yourself stand out in other ways on your app too... have solid letters of recommendation, excellent patient care experience, high GRE score, etc.

Hmmmm...This is a hard pill to take for graduate school. What can I say? Maybe you need to revisit your goals and ask yourself what you really want to be when you grow up. That GPA is not for people who are going places. You need to do something drastic about your grades. I did not study much for one of my degrees and I got a 3.5 GPA just for sitting there and listening to the instructor and play around with the books that were very boring for a short time. Anyway, I wish you all the best. You can do it my dear. There is nothing that God cannot make possible.