• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

anestheticman

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
I'm not sure how to decide amongst those choices where I would best be spending my time because I have heard that UCSF and Stanford have very "numbers driven programs" whereas Mt. Sinai and Cornell for example although pretty prestigious programs are more open to the non-traditional applicant and that if you do an externship at either, your chances of getting interviews go up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

TaiShan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am not a huge fan of too many externships. It ruins your fourth year. You will definitely match somewhere based on your step 1 score.

gogiants

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2002
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
I wouldn't bother doing an away at UCSF. They have a strict USMLE cutoff for interviewing and they won't give you an interview even if rotated there. Not sure what the cutoff is but I have friends who rotated there (both with Step 1s in 220ish I think) and neither got interviews even though at least one got a letter of rec from faculty there. Maybe not fair but that's how it is and its a shame to do that month of hard work without even an interview to show for it.

About the Ads

anestheticman

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
Great, thanks I have heard the same thing about UCSF from 2 other students. Does anyone know if Stanford is the same story? I know their board score averages are probably equal but I'm not sure if they have a "cutoff."

DrDre'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2003
South Central
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would judiciously choose your externships based on how sure you think you would want to go there and the likelihood of matching. I would only do a few and use them to shine.

I apologize for being overly blunt but despite what some people say on this website, competitive programs are ALL extremely numbers driven now.

Were you the one who asked about aways at VM, UW and OHSU?

If so, I would recommmend UW as the most likely place to match only based on the sheer number of their slots.

You will match into anesthesia but it may be a stretch at some of the more competitive locations on your list.

all the best, dre'

ILuvToPassGas

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am a resident at UCSF and wanted to clear up the confusion regarding our application process. We DO NOT have a strict USMLE cut-off. Once again, we DO NOT have a strict USMLE cut-off. Yes, our residents tend to have high USMLE scores, but believe me when I say we look at a lot more than board scores. It is true that we do not automatically interview every student who rotates here. This would be impossible since a lot of students do away electives here. But, do not settle yourself short by not rotating here because of rumors you have heard on this chat board. Come see us for yourself and learn about our program. If you are a star, you can bet that you will be interviewed despite your lowish USMLE. You're hearing it from the source, not a rumor. Good luck and feel free to send me any questions you may have.

jennyboo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I sent you a note about some of my experiences last year in your private messages.

anestheticman

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
Do you guys think that 3 four week externships is overkill? I have the 12 weeks open but I'm not sure my head is in the right place right now as I'm thinking more about where I want to do them and how to apply than I am about my patients I need to see in the morning.

Thanks!

ILuvToPassGas

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I personally think 3 rotations is a lot. But, they can offer a good chance to really get to know a program. Personally, I would spend some of that time doing fun or other educational electives which you will never have the chance to do again. You will do more than enough anesthesia in residency!

GasMan72

Bruins BBall
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
Westwood, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
3 externships isn't too many, but anything more than that is rough. It is your 4th year. You need to spend some time relaxing.

An externship is good for a program that you may be borderline on getting an interview with, as hopefully you shine and they recognize your name and give you a shot. I wouldn't waste it on programs that are super competitive (solely a numbers game these days). Best of luck

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.