Assessing Chances of Admission at Competitive Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anestheticman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to decide amongst those choices where I would best be spending my time because I have heard that UCSF and Stanford have very "numbers driven programs" whereas Mt. Sinai and Cornell for example although pretty prestigious programs are more open to the non-traditional applicant and that if you do an externship at either, your chances of getting interviews go up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a huge fan of too many externships. It ruins your fourth year. You will definitely match somewhere based on your step 1 score.

I wouldn't bother doing an away at UCSF. They have a strict USMLE cutoff for interviewing and they won't give you an interview even if rotated there. Not sure what the cutoff is but I have friends who rotated there (both with Step 1s in 220ish I think) and neither got interviews even though at least one got a letter of rec from faculty there. Maybe not fair but that's how it is and its a shame to do that month of hard work without even an interview to show for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thanks I have heard the same thing about UCSF from 2 other students. Does anyone know if Stanford is the same story? I know their board score averages are probably equal but I'm not sure if they have a "cutoff."

I would judiciously choose your externships based on how sure you think you would want to go there and the likelihood of matching. I would only do a few and use them to shine.

I apologize for being overly blunt but despite what some people say on this website, competitive programs are ALL extremely numbers driven now.

Were you the one who asked about aways at VM, UW and OHSU?

If so, I would recommmend UW as the most likely place to match only based on the sheer number of their slots.

You will match into anesthesia but it may be a stretch at some of the more competitive locations on your list.

all the best, dre'

I am a resident at UCSF and wanted to clear up the confusion regarding our application process. We DO NOT have a strict USMLE cut-off. Once again, we DO NOT have a strict USMLE cut-off. Yes, our residents tend to have high USMLE scores, but believe me when I say we look at a lot more than board scores. It is true that we do not automatically interview every student who rotates here. This would be impossible since a lot of students do away electives here. But, do not settle yourself short by not rotating here because of rumors you have heard on this chat board. Come see us for yourself and learn about our program. If you are a star, you can bet that you will be interviewed despite your lowish USMLE. You're hearing it from the source, not a rumor. Good luck and feel free to send me any questions you may have.

I sent you a note about some of my experiences last year in your private messages.

Do you guys think that 3 four week externships is overkill? I have the 12 weeks open but I'm not sure my head is in the right place right now as I'm thinking more about where I want to do them and how to apply than I am about my patients I need to see in the morning.

Thanks!

I personally think 3 rotations is a lot. But, they can offer a good chance to really get to know a program. Personally, I would spend some of that time doing fun or other educational electives which you will never have the chance to do again. You will do more than enough anesthesia in residency!

3 externships isn't too many, but anything more than that is rough. It is your 4th year. You need to spend some time relaxing.

An externship is good for a program that you may be borderline on getting an interview with, as hopefully you shine and they recognize your name and give you a shot. I wouldn't waste it on programs that are super competitive (solely a numbers game these days). Best of luck