Assessment outside Neuro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ygritte

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there SDN, There have been many posts recommending that psychologists emphasize the areas in our field that do not overlap with other fields, such as assessment. I am doing a neuro prac this year, and while I've found it to be a great learning experience, I cannot imagine testing everyday for the rest of my working life. However, I would like to capitalize on this skill in the future, if possible. I was wondering what other opportunities there are for doing assessment, outside of clinical neuropsych. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there SDN, There have been many posts recommending that psychologists emphasize the areas in our field that do not overlap with other fields, such as assessment. I am doing a neuro prac this year, and while I've found it to be a great learning experience, I cannot imagine testing everyday for the rest of my working life. However, I would like to capitalize on this skill in the future, if possible. I was wondering what other opportunities there are for doing assessment, outside of clinical neuropsych. Thanks!

I know there's a good deal of assessment that goes on in academic medicine and "primary care psychology" settings (differential diagnosis, transplant and hepatitis C treatment evaluations, etc.), as well as in the forensic (competence and insanity) arena. Disability evaluations also involve significant assessment work (e.g., mental state evals), although finding a way to earn a living doing them can be difficult.

Also, it's obviously quite possible and appropriate to work assessment into your everyday practice, even if that practice focuses predominantly on psychotherapy.

There are alot of opportunities for assessment in the forensic arena and AFAIK the pay is pretty good for them. However, I think it takes a while to build a reputation as someone who is competent at those types of assessments and testifying, so it's not something that I think is generally a side job type of thing, more something that you specialize in.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the most common areas for a good therapy/assessment mix is with working with children. Kids are often referred for LD, ADHD, Autisim, etc. evals. First you test, then you treat. If you enjoy working with children, it's a good mix, IMO.

Both of my previous research jobs included assessment. A study I worked on at my undergrad institution required us to administer neuropsych tests, the results which were used for the studies my prof was doing. So if you collaborate with someone researching neuro or cognitive, you could do something there.

I also worked in a medical/psych clinic as well. Children were assessed to determine effects of neonatal drug and alcohol exposure. We worked on both treatment and research there.

I'd definitely say you won't be limited! :thumbup:

Personality assessment: Millon, MMPI, TAT, Rorschach, NEO-PI-R, etc.

Good for use in career settings, college counseling, etc.

Good option= pre-employment and fitness for duty evaluations

New Option= Pre-reality show evaluations...we just started these.

Awesome! Do you get to tell them that their singing sucks and that they should def NOT be ANYONES idol...:laugh:

Seriously, though, how does that work? Reality show producers sems to favor candidates that can bring some kind of drama, hostility, or vulberability to the table. These are things that from a psych perspective, might not be good for the person, but make for good ratings. What criteria do you use? What questions, beyond "could this person go postal on the cast and crew" do you ask yourself during these evals?

Last edited:
Awesome! Do you get to tell them that their singing sucks and that they should def NOT be ANYONES idol...:laugh:

Seriously, though, how does that work? Reality show producers sems to favor candidates that can bring some kind of drama, hostility, or vulberability to the table. These are things that from a psych perspective, might not be good for the person, but make for good ratings. What criteria do you use? What questions, beyond "could this person go postal on the cast and crew" do you ask yourself during these evals?

I'd guess they want to minimize any chances of suicidal/homicidal ideation, minimize any chances of any serious psychotic disorder, but encourage the heck out of Axis II's (all of them, but especially cluster B). Oh reality TV. :laugh:

It is quite involved and differs depending on the type of show and possible liabilities. Trade secret...

ive been wanting to do these since season 3 of Big Brother! lol

i work in addictions and we have plenty of opportunity for assessment - both cognitive (including neuro, not just intelligence) and personality.

you can go the route of doing private assessments for children. often, parents with the means prefer to have someone else test their children for gifted/LD status. it brings in a good deal of money and your whole practice need not be devoted to that.

lots of opportunity for assessment in prisons. also, custody evals.

you want someone that is crazy enough to bring the drama, but not crazy enough to kill someone in their sleep. its truly a delicate balance! lol

this has been going on for a while; I had a friend who tested candidates for the original "Real World" back in the day.

I would like to know if projective assessment is recommended for neuropsychology students and whether it would affect my chances of landing an internship if I decide not to take it. Thanks in advance!

I would like to know if projective assessment is recommended for neuropsychology students and whether it would affect my chances of landing an internship if I decide not to take it. Thanks in advance!

It's not recommended (or unrecommended); it'll largely depend on the theoretical orientation of your training program. I can say that of all the internship sites I applied to, none required or asked about it.

Ill bite my tongue on the rorschach, but given that the use of it is so random and hit and miss between sites..I wouldnt worry about it.