Assignments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edmadison

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating residents: Post you assignment love here:

Me: Flight Surgeon, 12th Combat Aviation Brigade, Illesheim, Germany -- Yeah

Ed

Members don't see this ad.

starting from graduation from med school, what process did you go through to become a flight surgeon? Do you need to do a residency? Can you go straight into training for FS if you haven't done a residency and have just done the PGY-1?

Members don't see this ad :)
starting from graduation from med school, what process did you go through to become a flight surgeon? Do you need to do a residency? Can you go straight into training for FS if you haven't done a residency and have just done the PGY-1?

I told the peds consultant that I wanted a FS billet in Europe where I might be able to see peds patients in the clinic. I assume I'll leave residency in June to go to Ft. Rucker in July.

I thought you were a pediatrics resident???

I am! This is the Army's big secret. They've "done away" with GMOs by putting residency trained physicians in operational billets. Our consultant told us he had 14 operation billets to fill out of approximately 22 residents graduating. Since every graduating resident is going to get deployed whether in a peds slot or an operation slot, I decided to find a desireable opeation job where I could (hopefully) see some kids.

Ed

Just curious Ed, did the consultant offer you any other FS billets in Germany? Just wondering what else is out there. Your billet is pretty much the one I want when I graduate next year and I plan on asking for it when my PL3 year starts in 5 months. I would walk upstairs and ask the consultant himself but I feel out of place in his Executive Suite and he can't help me for next year anyway.

I told the peds consultant that I wanted a FS billet in Europe where I might be able to see peds patients in the clinic. I assume I'll leave residency in June to go to Ft. Rucker in July.

I am! This is the Army's big secret. They've "done away" with GMOs by putting residency trained physicians in operational billets. Our consultant told us he had 14 operation billets to fill out of approximately 22 residents graduating. Since every graduating resident is going to get deployed whether in a peds slot or an operation slot, I decided to find a desireable opeation job where I could (hopefully) see some kids.

Ed
Congrats on getting an assignment you're hyped about.

Wondering if you could flesh out how the assignment process works. It seems to be a black box to me, and I'd like to see how that plays into our options.

If you could shed some light on how this process works, start to finish, and hopefully clear up some of the jargon, it would really help.

Just curious Ed, did the consultant offer you any other FS billets in Germany? Just wondering what else is out there. Your billet is pretty much the one I want when I graduate next year and I plan on asking for it when my PL3 year starts in 5 months. I would walk upstairs and ask the consultant himself but I feel out of place in his Executive Suite and he can't help me for next year anyway.

I really do know -- this was the billet the consultant found for me. I'll be their for a minimum of two years so next year work for you for that specific billet. If you want to volunteer for operational and show that interest early, your consultant should be able to get you a good slot.

Congrats on getting an assignment you're hyped about.

Wondering if you could flesh out how the assignment process works. It seems to be a black box to me, and I'd like to see how that plays into our options.

If you could shed some light on how this process works, start to finish, and hopefully clear up some of the jargon, it would really help.

It just kind of happened. We had an ongoing E-mail conversation and I told him what I was interested in. He worked hard to get people what they want because its better to get people to volunteer than to force people into billets they don't want.

I think the process is largely dependent on the consultant. Ours is very open and receptive to communication.

Thanks for your support,

Ed
"Wings of Victory"

I think the process is largely dependent on the consultant. Ours is very open and receptive to communication.
I agree. I hope the next consultant is just as open.

I already have my wings so I hope to grab one of better FS billets early on. We'll see I guess.

Thanks Ed, have fun the next 5 months.

I ranked Germany first too. Was offered Mississippi. Good luck.

Wow, that sucks.

Behind door one a nice, slightly used Mercedes Benz a home with a view of the mountains...

Behind door two a rusted out Ford with a shack located in the humid south....

Hope your Mississippi spot is better than I imagine.

Wow, that sucks.

Behind door one a nice, slightly used Mercedes Benz a home with a view of the mountains...

Behind door two a rusted out Ford with a shack located in the humid south....

Hope your Mississippi spot is better than I imagine.

Ocean Springs was pretty nice, back when there was an Ocean Springs.