Assistance after a rejection....anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolferman

Member?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I got my rejection letter from University of Utah it was signed by the Associate Dean. The letter contained the usual spiel about how my rejection wasn't a judgment as to my ability to become a physician....blah, blah, blah. But at the end of the letter it says that the dean would be "willing to provide advice to facilitate future applications, if you have not been accepted elsewhere."

Are other schools doing this, and if so, has anyone taken advantage of this? I'm thinking it would be a great way to find out exactly what the school is looking for in an applicant while simultaneously networking with a very influential person.

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by wolferman:
•When I got my rejection letter from University of Utah it was signed by the Associate Dean. The letter contained the usual spiel about how my rejection wasn't a judgment as to my ability to become a physician....blah, blah, blah. But at the end of the letter it says that the dean would be "willing to provide advice to facilitate future applications, if you have not been accepted elsewhere."

Are other schools doing this, and if so, has anyone taken advantage of this? I'm thinking it would be a great way to find out exactly what the school is looking for in an applicant while simultaneously networking with a very influential person.•••••Many schools do this, but not all advertise it. It's called a counseling interview. It is indeed a great opportunity to find out how to improve your application! In fact, at my state school, the fact that you requested and attended a counseling interview post-rejection is added to your file; and goes a long way in gaining acceptance the following cycle (as long as you follow their advice). So if you don't get in this year, definately contact the schools your interested in and ask about the possibility of setting up a counseling interview! GOOD LUCK!

Did you get rejected post interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
YES! Do this! Last year, only one of the schools I applied to offered this service in their rejection letter (FSU). I called a bunch of schools, though. Almost all were willing to assist me. I even had a sit-down with the head of admissions at UF...not that that is doing any good. :( I wish they would call.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jiffy boy:
•Did you get rejected post interview?•••••No, it was pre-interview. Post AMCAS though. :wink:

university of washington (seattle) does the same. my friend talked to the dean and he gave him some good advice.

Some schools specifically state on the rejection letter that they will not offer this service. I recall that Tufts said that last year.