Assistant Director of Pharmacy who’s not a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoKoTe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is in a hospital. Curious if it’s legal (I’m assuming it is, but surprised nonetheless). The hospital recently promoted an individual to Assistant Director of Pharmacy. This individual is a register technician but works in administrative and business matters. I was surprised a non-pharmacist could become an assistant director. My guess is they wanted/needed to promote this person and didn’t know what position to. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on state law I'm sure, but there's likely more flexibility with an assistant director (or assistant to the director) positions.

Reactions: 1 user
Totally legal. The Director of Pharmacy does not need to be a pharmacist, only the PIC does. However, for both JC, CMS, and most states, there must be an accountability chain to a pharmacist. Physicians have been Pharmacy Directors before, though now they appoint someone to be the face while they run the business.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did not know that. Thank you both.

(or assistant to the director) positions.

This is literally what I thought of first. Lol

I think it might be a good thing. Gives the techs something to work towards. I can see the potential conflict if the personality type is wrong though, especially if they try to micromanage the pharmacists.

This is literally what I thought of first. Lol

I think it might be a good thing. Gives the techs something to work towards. I can see the potential conflict if the personality type is wrong though, especially if they try to micromanage the pharmacists.

Which is what some of the staff pharmacists were concerned about. Interestingly enough, there are other assistant directors who are pharmacists and BBPs certified, so I’m personally curious how they see that.

Big cost savings!

Which is what some of the staff pharmacists were concerned about. Interestingly enough, there are other assistant directors who are pharmacists and BBPs certified, so I’m personally curious how they see that.

There is more than one assistant director? That makes it seem like even less of a big deal to me. One assistant can focus on the RPh issues and the tech can focus on other stuff.