Associates Degree in Mental Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Candylicious

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My community college offers a two year associates degree in Mental Health. After completing the two year program I would then attend a University to get a Bachelor's Degree. But I know most people obtain a Master's Degree. But would I actually be able to find a job with a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology?

Members don't see this ad.

"A job"? Yes
"A good paying job?" Probably not
"A good paying job consistent with what I learned in my major?" no

In short, psych is an interesting and important field but what you learn as an undergrad isn't what graduate degrees largely train in and so it leaves you unprepared to engage in the job market for that set of skills. It's why masters and doctorates are the terminal degrees in psych/mental health. That doesn't mean it doesn't provide utility, its just a bad stopping point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
"A job"? Yes
"A good paying job?" Probably not
"A good paying job consistent with what I learned in my major?" no

In short, psych is an interesting and important field but what you learn as an undergrad isn't what graduate degrees largely train in and so it leaves you unprepared to engage in the job market for that set of skills. It's why masters and doctorates are the terminal degrees in psych/mental health. That doesn't mean it doesn't provide utility, its just a bad stopping point.

I understand I just feel like I maybe too old. I would be 33 years old when I start. And it takes at least six years to get a Master's Degree. I would be working part time I still live at home so It would make it easier. But I really enjoy learning about Psychology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand I just feel like I maybe too old. I would be 33 years old when I start. And it takes at least six years to get a Master's Degree. I would be working part time I still live at home so It would make it easier. But I really enjoy learning about Psychology.

This may be tangential but, working in the VA system, I'm highly suspicious of any program or degree in 'Mental Health.' It's too broad. There are distinctive disciplines, for example, of psychiatry (a specialty of medicine) and clinical psychology (an advanced degree that, at least ideally, should represent expertise in application of clinical science to addressing mental illness via non-pharmacological interventions). The only people I've met who have positions that are 'mental health' positions (e.g., the 'Chief of Staff for Mental Health' or 'Associate Chief of Staff for Mental Health' or 'Sub-Champion Icon and Admiral of Positive Psychology, Wellness, Whole HealthCare, Suicide and Suffering Elimination Champion First Class' (obviously, a made up title but likely coming soon to a healthcare system near you) are total hacks who don't have an understanding of or appreciation for actual clinical practice (for example, as a practicing psychiatrist or clinical psychologist) or the scientific underpinnings of good clinical practice. They're typically political appointees who claim to be 'champions' of patient care while simultaneously shoving ill-devised mandates down the clinician's throats to implement on their patients (despite the average patient's objecting to them)--all in the (claimed) service of improving 'quality of services.'

And, just to cut to the quick of the original question, if you stop your education with a Bachelor's in Psychology, you're far better off (in terms of career prospects) pursuing a career outside of psychology (e.g., law or medicine). That being said, I feel like the whole mental healthcare field is in flux right now so who knows what the future will bring.

Reactions: 1 user
This may be tangential but, working in the VA system, I'm highly suspicious of any program or degree in 'Mental Health.' It's too broad. There are distinctive disciplines, for example, of psychiatry (a specialty of medicine) and clinical psychology (an advanced degree that, at least ideally, should represent expertise in application of clinical science to addressing mental illness via non-pharmacological interventions). The only people I've met who have positions that are 'mental health' positions (e.g., the 'Chief of Staff for Mental Health' or 'Associate Chief of Staff for Mental Health' or 'Sub-Champion Icon and Admiral of Positive Psychology, Wellness, Whole HealthCare, Suicide and Suffering Elimination Champion First Class' (obviously, a made up title but likely coming soon to a healthcare system near you) are total hacks who don't have an understanding of or appreciation for actual clinical practice (for example, as a practicing psychiatrist or clinical psychologist) or the scientific underpinnings of good clinical practice. They're typically political appointees who claim to be 'champions' of patient care while simultaneously shoving ill-devised mandates down the clinician's throats to implement on their patients (despite the average patient's objecting to them)--all in the (claimed) service of improving 'quality of services.'

And, just to cut to the quick of the original question, if you stop your education with a Bachelor's in Psychology, you're far better off (in terms of career prospects) pursuing a career outside of psychology (e.g., law or medicine). That being said, I feel like the whole mental healthcare field is in flux right now so who knows what the future will bring.
This is the link to the program
Mental Health AAS/CERT

The program is legit and students who complete the two year Mental Health Degree. Enroll at a University for the Bachelors or Master's degree. I would post the link but I need more points in order to share links.

It's called Mental Health Associates Of Science. After completing that two year program I would be able to work as a Mental Health Tech or Psychiatric Aide. That's just on the basic community college level. I would then transfer to a University for a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Psychology.

What is it that you want to ultimately do? If you want to do therapy, there are some BSW/MSW joint programs out there. You don't need to start with an Associates honestly, unless you just have a poor GPA from awhile back or something. Sometimes you are not eligible for the dual degree programs when coming in with an Associates.

What is it that you want to ultimately do? If you want to do therapy, there are some BSW/MSW joint programs out there. You don't need to start with an Associates honestly, unless you just have a poor GPA from awhile back or something. Sometimes you are not eligible for the dual degree programs when coming in with an Associates.
Counseling helping people who suffer from mental disorders and substance abuse. Helping women and young teen girls. I would also like to help women find resources in regards to pregnancies. I think that would be more like Human Resources though.

There is zero advantage for an associated degree in psych / mental health. Take what I said about what a BA means for careers and knowledge and divide that further for a lesser degree.

Higher times ranks a bachelors majorig in psychology at the 250 when ranking the highest paid majors. For a bachelors degree. George Washing University published data which puts median annual earnings for a bachelors in psychology at around $32k. That’s around $16/hr.

There are no licensed professions for an undergraduate with a psychology major. That means no one can bill for your services.

what I have seen for people with an AA who want to work in clinical stuff: they’re psych techs at psych hospitals making like $10/hr.

This is the link to the program
Mental Health AAS/CERT

The program is legit and students who complete the two year Mental Health Degree. Enroll at a University for the Bachelors or Master's degree. I would post the link but I need more points in order to share links.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to follow a link but I did Google what you posted: 'Mental Health AAS/CERT' and looked at the first result that came up (appended to the end of this post). Seriously, I think you'd be light years better off going the established social work degree route (BSW/LCSW) if you want to have a career helping people in the mental health field. I'm not sure you would even need a degree/major in Psychology to pursue the social worker route. To be sure, psychology is a fascinating and rewarding field of study but it is very difficult to monetize it unless you at least pursue it through to the master's- and, preferably, the doctoral-degree level. Even then, it's not lucrative at all in comparison to other career choices if money is your thing.

Popular Career Choices
With an Associate of Science in Mental Health, students have the training for jobs as mental health or nursing home assistants, family services caseworkers or human services assistants. In addition, graduates with an associate's can go on to earn baccalaureate degrees that will guide them toward specific vocations, such as mental health technology or mental health nursing. Some associate's degree recipients can go directly into positions such as these:

• Shelter manager or director
  • Family support services caseworker
  • Mental health rehabilitation assistant
  • Nursing home administration assistant
  • Group facilitator
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that employment for social and human service assistants was projected to increase 11% from 2014 to 2024, which is faster than the national average for all other occupations. As of 2015, social and human service assistants made a median annual wage of $30,830, as noted by the BLS.

Counseling helping people who suffer from mental disorders and substance abuse. Helping women and young teen girls. I would also like to help women find resources in regards to pregnancies. I think that would be more like Human Resources though.

I would need to start off at a community college. I don't think there is really a difference after getting an associates degree. I would then transfer to a University and then in two more years I would have a bachelors degree. And if I decide to continue to get a Master's Degree that would be two more years.

If your career goal is to work as a licensed mental health practitioner (such as a counselor or social worker), it is not necessary to get an associate's degree in anything. If you want to get work experience while completing your degree, plenty of places will hire you as a psych tech with a little college coursework under your belt, no special degree necessary.

So, get a 4-year bachelor's degree, whether you start at uni or CC, and go on from there. Given your interests, I think social work could be a great fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would need to start off at a community college. I don't think there is really a difference after getting an associates degree. I would then transfer to a University and then in two more years I would have a bachelors degree. And if I decide to continue to get a Master's Degree that would be two more years.
You can transfer directly to a university without earning an associate's degree. As long as you have all of the prerequisite courses for transfer, you won't need the degree.

But it would be ok if I did obtain an associates degree in Mental Health?

What is the difference of having a Bachelors degree in Social Work and a Bachelors degree in Psychology? I would like to help people who have mental issues in regards to coping. Maybe an abuse, rape or rehabilitation counselor. Someone who helps women who have suffered from some kind of crisis. I've noticed that a lot of the people that I am involved with (friends,associates,boyfriends etc) do have some kind of mental illness or portrays the traits of someone who could suffer from mental illness are eccentric or are odd in some way. When I say help people who have mental issues in regards to coping. I mean being there for them when they need someone to talk to. Not so much as being the person who prescribes them medications.

What is the difference of having a Bachelors degree in Social Work and a Bachelors degree in Psychology? I would like to help people who have mental issues in regards to coping. Maybe an abuse, rape or rehabilitation counselor. Someone who helps women who have suffered from some kind of crisis. I've noticed that a lot of the people that I am involved with (friends,associates,boyfriends etc) do have some kind of mental illness or portrays the traits of someone who could suffer from mental illness are eccentric or are odd in some way. When I say help people who have mental issues in regards to coping. I mean being there for them when they need someone to talk to. Not so much as being the person who prescribes them medications.

Doing what you describe here will most likely require a minimum of a masters degree. This would typically be a masters in social work or a masters in mental health counseling. My practical experience with practicing clinicians is that there isn't much difference between the two in terms of clinical practice or reimbursement. There may be training differences, and social workers may have more flexibility/variability in work settings and responsibilities, but- as relates to doing direct therapy- they have always seemed to me to be interchangeable degrees/credentials. A bachelors in social work may be more appealing to social work masters programs, but I'm not really sure on that. I taught in a Masters in Mental Health Counseling program, and currently teach in a Masters in ABA program, and there was/is a pretty good mix between people with bachelors in psychology and social work (with a smattering of other social science majors thrown in there). These masters programs typically require the student to pay tuition, with limited opportunities for funding while in school. Students in masters program may be able to have outside jobs. You may be able to complete this training in the area you currently live in.

To take it further, many people who do what you describe above have a doctoral degree (either a Ph.D., or a Psy.D) in clinical or counseling psychology (look to other threads for differences between degrees/program types- for purposes of the current discussion, they will all allow you to do what you describe above). Doctoral degrees may offer you greater flexibility with what you, with higher salaries. They will also take a lot more time (2-4 more years of school; additional supervised pre-degree and post-degree clinical work). Doctoral training can be fully-funded (e.g., you pay no tuition) and come with a stipend (you get paid to be a teaching or research assistant), but these funded program are highly competitive and typically require stellar undergrad academic achievement, combined with demonstrated experience with clinical research. Most of these funded programs are associated with traditional universities or colleges, with professors involved in research and clinical work. Outside of funded positions, doctoral training in psychology can be VERY expensive, with total tuition costs of 100-200K plus! Funded such an education with student loans can result in monthly student loan payments that are way too high for what you will ultimately earn with a degree from such programs. Most students who go into doctoral training programs in clinical or counseling psychology have bachelors in psychology, though there are some exceptions (I actually have BS in Sociology). Good doctoral training is comprehensive and time consuming, and it is very unusual for students to be able to hold down outside employment to defray costs. You will most likely have to move to another area of the country during you doctoral training.

In summary, the quickest and cheapest rout to do what you want to do is to pursue a masters degree that would lead to credentialling as a social worker or mental health counselor. Funded doctoral programs can be cheaper monetarily, but with much higher time commitments and opportunity costs. The trade-off is potentially higher salaries and more job flexibility, variability. If you aren't sure which route you want to take, the safest bet would be to major in psychology as an undergrad. In either case, starting off at a community college and doing really well can save you 10s of thousands of dollars and often leads to automatic acceptance into bachelor's programs (e.g., at state colleges or universities). If you then go on to nail it academically during the two last years of your bachelor's education, the associate's degree is not likely to hurt you that much. One caveat is that you will be late to the game in developing relationships with professors and getting research experience that may be helpful should you choose to go the funded Ph.D./Psy.D route.

Incidentally, I work with toddlers and actually do juggle during most of my assessment sessions. It is a great way to get their attention, as well as to distract them. I suggest that, somewhere along your path, you learn to juggle!

Reactions: 1 users

A few questions:

What is your current educational level?
How many years of school do you see yourself completing?
What are your financial needs/ issues? Do you have support through school or hoping to work your way through?

Clinical ABA covered most of what one might say regarding masters and doctoral level stuff. In addition, if you aren't going to pursue graduate work look into:

Case management work

Addictions counseling - some states allow you to work with this with certificate training and supervised hours- pay is not that great

Mental health or addictions nursing - Not exactly full time counseling work, but there are opportunities to work in the area and counsel people with much less school (associates or bachelors degree and a certification). Also, the salary is better than the other options and there are more opportunities to work your way up, IMO.

A few questions:

What is your current educational level?
How many years of school do you see yourself completing?
What are your financial needs/ issues? Do you have support through school or hoping to work your way through?

Clinical ABA covered most of what one might say regarding masters and doctoral level stuff. In addition, if you aren't going to pursue graduate work look into:

Case management work

Addictions counseling - some states allow you to work with this with certificate training and supervised hours- pay is not that great

Mental health or addictions nursing - Not exactly full time counseling work, but there are opportunities to work in the area and counsel people with much less school (associates or bachelors degree and a certification). Also, the salary is better than the other options and there are more opportunities to work your way up, IMO.
This would be my first time attending a Community College/University for a program. As I have attended trade schools in the past. Which is why I would definitely need to start a community college. Where I live the community college does offer an addictions certificate. I thought about Social Work but looking at the problem there is all types of math involved and I am not really good when it comes to math. With an Associates Degree Mental Health I could work as a Social Service or Human Resources assistant, Mental Health Tech or Psyh aid. But the pay isn't that great. I thought with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology I would be able to find a better job. But I don't think that's the case I think some people with a Bachelors work as a Behavorial Specialists. I really just want to attend a four year program. As it could actually take me longer than four years to complete the program. Working through school would be fine.

If the math in a Social Work bachelor's degree program gave you pause, undergraduate Psychology will be similar or more extensive. At the very least, you'll need to complete a course in introductory statistics and a research lab/design class (which sometimes involves analyses).

Unfortunately, a bachelor's degree in Psychology isn't going to open very many career doors above and beyond those opened by any bachelor's degree. You mentioned a few positions (e.g., mental health tech). As others have said, for your listed career interests, a master's degree (e.g., in Social Work) is your best bet. Or something like a peer support person, addictions counselor, etc., which as was said above, typically pay less. There's also the potential for ABA training, which pays well, particularly given the training requirements. I'm trying to think up other career paths, but haven't had luck so far; I'll keep at it.

Alternatively, there's nursing. As far as bachelor's degrees go, it's tough to beat in terms of the combination of earning potential and job security.

This would be my first time attending a Community College/University for a program. As I have attended trade schools in the past. Which is why I would definitely need to start a community college. Where I live the community college does offer an addictions certificate. I thought about Social Work but looking at the problem there is all types of math involved and I am not really good when it comes to math. With an Associates Degree Mental Health I could work as a Social Service or Human Resources assistant, Mental Health Tech or Psyh aid. But the pay isn't that great. I thought with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology I would be able to find a better job. But I don't think that's the case I think some people with a Bachelors work as a Behavorial Specialists. I really just want to attend a four year program. As it could actually take me longer than four years to complete the program. Working through school would be fine.
Agreed with Acronym.

If math is a concern in SW, you should be doubly thoughtful about if psychology is the correct field for you. Stats and research is a major component to training in psychology, substantially more so than in social work.This is true in UG as well as grad school. My tests even outside of stats sometimes involve the application of statistics to answer theoretical questions about the content area. You would not be gaining anything particularly new through a psychology major that would make you competitive on the job market.

So I wonder why Mental Health Associate degrees even exist? I guess it's for people who would rather work as an assistant. I was told by an advisor that a lot of people start there and then transfer to a University. I know someone who completed a certificate program for Addictions and he now works as a Recovery Coach and is now in the Associates Degree program for Mental Health.

At the BS level in Social Work or Psychology, one can work as a suicide and crisis outreach worker. They do not work on the phones at all. They do a lot of counseling in the field, and many have not gone on to graduate school.

You actually do not need an associates degree to work in a psychiatric hospital as a mental health technician. There are many certified nursing assistants that do this type of work. This position entails quite a bit of nurses aid duties in addition to talking to patients and keeping them safe.