Associates Degree in Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circumspect

6th Oyster
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a student at a CC and I'm planning to eventually transfer to a 4-year university, but in the meantime one of my options is to obtain an AA. I would be one class away from qualifying for an AA degree in psychology after meeting my transfer requirements, but it would be one class on top of my already heavy load and another strain on my precious GPA.

My reason for considering this is I wonder if it might help me out one free summer in my attempt to find pertinent field/clinical experience. Doing a little bit of research, the prospects for an AA in psychology seem pretty slim but maybe there's something I'm missing?

What I hope to find is some opportunity that would stand out above the rest on a medical school application that I wouldn't otherwise get if I hadn't gotten the degree. If I would be better off looking elsewhere for that kind of thing, I don't really need an AA.

Out of curiosity, though, what good could it do? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't really know, never looked into it myself. My guess is that its unlikely you'll find anything.

I think a relatively small percentage of people with the BA are able to find psych-relevant jobs, I imagine its even harder with an AA. We have a bit of an oversupply of psychology undergrads these days, since its one of the most popular majors.

Best of luck!

If med. school is in the picture for you, then an AA isn't really something anyone is going to look at; the most important aspect will be you BS/BA, as well as your gpa when it comes to entrance with any grad school.

However, if you plan on jumping into work fulltime after undergrad, some kind of certification may be helpful, depending on what you want to do. But I wouldn't worry about an AA.