General Admissions & OTCAS Associates degree or Masters degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LailaTaylor25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have an interesting story to tell and hope that some of you might be able to help me...

Currently, I'm in a Master of Social Work program. Now why would someone like me be asking about an Associates or Masters degree in Occupational Therapy? Well... Just two weeks into my first year of Social Work, I was involved in a serious car accident and went on medical leave. That was a year ago, and I still have not returned. When I was in rehab, I had a team of amazing PTs and OTs working with me. One of the OT assistants was my age, and she was just about to graduate with her Masters degree in OT when I left rehab. Needless to say, I was inspired by her and the work of other OTs. This is what I want to do.

Now, this is no easy decision, leaving Social Work. Fortunately, I haven't gotten that far into my program, so this is the best time for me to change.

Now the question is, Associates degree or Masters degree first? The reason I am considering an Associates degree first is because of several reasons. Preparing for graduate school is the long road and not guaranteed. Sure, I've done it before, but... I'd have to take science prerequisites and a few others like art, psychology, and medical terminology, re-take the GRE, get new letters of rec, volunteer and shadow OTs, apply, and wait... Maybe I get into something local, maybe I don't... In fact, there's only one OT school nearby. It could take me up to 2 years to apply. So for now, why not get into an associates degree program very easily? I think I'd even be better off as an OTA than a Social Worker with a Masters degree and enjoy that more. When I finally apply for a Masters program in OT, I will have all this clinical/internship experience and strong letters of rec from OTs as an OTA. If anything, I think that an associates degree would help prepare me and get my foot in the door.

So...in a sense, I'd still be working towards the Master's degree since the Associates degree covers some of the same prerequisites and will give me the experience and professional contacts needed to apply. If all else fails, then at least I could be working in the OT field as an assistant for a while. If I just apply to a Masters program first, and it doesn't work out, then I don't exactly have anything to fall back on.

Considering that money is not an issue, and I'm 25 years old, does this sound like a reasonable idea? What do you guys think? Thanks so much for listening...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have a bachelors degree? You need a bachelors to apply to a masters program, unless you apply to a bachelors/masters combined program. They have OTA to OT programs, but from what I've heard if your ultimate goal is to be an OT your time/energy/money is better spent going the OT direct route, as many OTA programs are just as competitive/as much work. There are MOT programs that are part time/hybrid, so you could work as an OT aide while in school and earn some more money that way. I don't think OT programs would care if you have an extra associates on top of a bachelors, as long as you have the prereqs complete.

Yes, I have a bachelors degree in Psychology. As you say, the most logical next step would be to get my masters degree in OT. I know, it's a big deal to leave my current graduate program and start over with an associates degree. My parents will be scratching their heads, no doubt.

However... Considering that it would take me 2 years to prepare for graduate school in OT anyway (taking science prerequisites, re-taking old prerequisites that have expired, and re-taking GRE), then I might as well have an associates degree in OT by then. The degree would give me experience in the field and contacts that I can ask for letters of rec. It would also give me a back-up career as an OTA if getting a masters degree does not work out right away. Besides, I think I'd rather be an OT assistant than a Social Worker with a masters degree. I'd be doing something I like and earning more money as well.

If all my prerequisites were already taken, then I'd naturally jump into the masters program. But considering how much I need to prepare for this, an associates degree doesn't seem all that bad. If anything, it'll help me to meet the requirements for the masters program and more.

Does this sound reasonable at all, or am I just crazy? Has anyone else done this before? Time isn't a huge factor because it's about 2 years either way I choose. Money isn't a huge factor because I have the means to get both degrees. Energy...well, that is important for sure. I hope I have what it takes.

I didn't realize that OTA programs are just as competitive, though. My nearest OTA program said that it accepts students on a first come, first served basis. No letters of rec required; just basic computer/math placement tests and high school/college transcripts. I figured that if I just apply early enough, then I will probably get in...

Thanks so much for your response.