asthma and military medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodstuff33

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for Army*HPSP and have passed my physical and received a waiver for my asthma.**I was wondering if there are any other military docs out there who do have asthma*and can comment on how*their asthma was when on deployments.**After careful research and personal reflection, this is something I want to do.* I*did a hospital tour at BAMC and for me helping out the soldiers is something I*feel compelled and want to do.*I have to admit it was a very humbling experience.*I understand soldier first and doctor second.*I also*understand and expect military medicine to have its problems.**The money has absolutely no bearing on my situation. However, my only reservation*is how it is for asthmatics when deployed.* My asthma is mild and nothing severe, but I have no idea what it would be like out in the sandbox if deployed.* ***

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying for Army*HPSP and have passed my physical and received a waiver for my asthma.**I was wondering if there are any other military docs out there who do have asthma*and can comment on how*their asthma was when on deployments.**After careful research and personal reflection, this is something I want to do.* I*did a hospital tour at BAMC and for me helping out the soldiers is something I*feel compelled and want to do.*I have to admit it was a very humbling experience.*I understand soldier first and doctor second.*I also*understand and expect military medicine to have its problems.**The money has absolutely no bearing on my situation. However, my only reservation*is how it is for asthmatics when deployed.* My asthma is mild and nothing severe, but I have no idea what it would be like out in the sandbox if deployed.* ***

I'm sure others will chime in with more up to date info. In the AF, if you have asthma you are NON DEPLOYABLE because of a potential attack while wearing a chem mask. I am not sure if the army is different.

Not to detract on your desire to serve, but are you aware that if you go to med school, choose a residency of your choice, you can then join the military as a physician, and be able to serve the soldiers. By joining now, you only run the risk, (as small as it may be in the army) to be a GMO, and possibly not train in what you want.

Either way, best of luck

My understanding was that if it's mild and controlled, then you are deployable.

With the current OPtempo, I have a hard time believing that the Army would waiver something if it made you non-deployable from the get-go. Especially as a Doc.

My .02.

A doc with a pulse can get a waiver for just about anything. We have plenty of non-deployable docs in the AF. They are the permanent garrison clinic monkeys while the rest of us go have fun on deployments.