ASTRO 2020 hopes and dreams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted605854

Folks, I shan't be attending this virtual meeting. But I am human. And humans have hopes and dreams

My hopes include seeing abstracts showing increasing utilization of RT. Perhaps even more SBRT (go Canada! you can do this).

I dream of the leadership voicing out the threats this field faces.

What say you, good people of this forum? Care to share anything ?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Well our excellent colleague @Palex80 in Europe tends to follow these things closely. Hopefully he and others can provide updates over the course of next week. I'm certain there are some diamonds in the rough to be found.
I have not purchased access this year. It's quite unfortunate, but we have been busy as hell and this week is mainly COVID-focused, with the virus making a spectacular comeback, unfortunately.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps some PGY-5 who is forced to sign up to 'network' and 'virtual interview' as part of ASTRO can provide the knowledge for us. I imagine a fair number of us are not paying ASTRO's crazy registration fee for a virtual meeting.

Perhaps some PGY-5 who is forced to sign up to 'network' and 'virtual interview' as part of ASTRO can provide the knowledge for us. I imagine a fair number of us are not paying ASTRO's crazy registration fee for a virtual meeting.

200.gif

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
None of our PGY5s are networking at ASTRO. Has seemed unnecessary so far with more efficiently scheduled zoom meetings outside of ASTRO time. Harder than traditional year but things still moving forward.

pretty sure most of the important ASTRO stuff will be on Twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
None of our PGY5s are networking at ASTRO. Has seemed unnecessary so far with more efficiently scheduled zoom meetings outside of ASTRO time. Harder than traditional year but things still moving forward.

pretty sure most of the important ASTRO stuff will be on Twitter.

Yeah all jokes aside exactly one of our job-seeking trainees has exactly one job "networking/interview" thing set up "during ASTRO". I only registered because I heard rumors back in the summer of ASTRO arranging something like a "career fair" or whatnot.

And what did ASTRO do? Include a little box graphic on their jobs board indicating employers would Zoom with you sometime during October 24th-28th.

Thanks ASTRO!

1603331249092.png
<----------

• Haha
Yeah all jokes aside exactly one of our job-seeking trainees has exactly one job "networking/interview" thing set up "during ASTRO". I only registered because I heard rumors back in the summer of ASTRO arranging something like a "career fair" or whatnot.

And what did ASTRO do? Include a little box graphic on their jobs board indicating employers would Zoom with you sometime during October 24th-28th.

Thanks ASTRO!

View attachment 321102 <----------
Totally worth the registration fee

Thanks ASTRO!

View attachment 321102 <----------

1603379896605.png

At least your department is paying for it!(Hopefully?)

• Haha
At least your department is paying for it!(Hopefully?)

Oh yeah definitely. I figured I won't use my conference funds for anything else this year either so... :shrug:

I'm not a big conference person anyway, at least not live conferences - I love the "digital recap" thing ASTRO and other groups do, I want to learn on my own time, not when Big Brother tells me to.

Someone should post a link for the Medical student recruitment session, maybe give us some highlights if we can't tune in....

I'll try to do that, is there going to be a chat function during these sessions? I'm sure that will be FIRE, people lamenting the SDN Misanthropes

Attachments

• 20201023_205351.jpg
    20201023_205351.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Haha
Some real quality ones in there towards the end from WWC
Such trash/embarrassment. Again, if you really care about women’s issues, tell them to stay out of radonc. (They are often not as geographically mobile as men, given they are less likely to have a stay at home spouse)

Last edited:
"Family Planning, Fertility, and Career Decisions in Female Radiation Oncologists"

Now this is the type of high brow late breaking abstract I expect from ASTRO

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users