Astronomy Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highlander11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do astronomy classes look? I am thinking about taking one or two to 1) boost my sGPA and 2) to remain full-time and for interest. Would it look even worse to have an astronomy teacher be a science LOR? The following course descriptions are for the possible astronomy courses:

1. Study of Earth's nearest astronomical neighbors, including the sun, planets, asteroids, and comets. Seasons, solar and lunar eclipses, motion of the planets in the night sky, recent planetary space probe discoveries, development of our modern understanding of the origin and evolution of our solar system and its place in the universe, discovery of extrasolar planets in distant solar systems. A minimum of mathematical analysis.

2. Life and death of stars, exotic objects including white dwarfs, supernovae, neutron stars, pulsars, and black holes. Structure of galaxies, formation of large-scale structure in the universe, and cosmological issues such as the big bang, dark matter, dark energy, and the past, present, and projected future behavior of the universe in light of modern astrophysics and particle physics. Conditions for the existence of life in the universe and the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence. A minimum of mathematical analysis.

Members don't see this ad.

How do astronomy classes look? I am thinking about taking one or two to 1) boost my sGPA
word of advice...don't do this. I know people who took astronomy "for an easy A, cuz it's stars and stuff". They struggled and regretted the mistake.
astronomy classes have a lot of calculations. I'm not sure what minimum of math analysis means

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of astronomy classes involve orbital mechanics (which is really cool math btw). I know some people that took Astronomy. . . And got their butt handed to them.

If you wanted to learn this stuff, watch some YouTube videos by people (scott Manley) and play Kerbal Space Program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoyed my Astronomy classes FWIW. They’re generally not “easy As” IMO, but that also depends on the professors.

How do astronomy classes look? I am thinking about taking one or two to 1) boost my sGPA and 2) to remain full-time and for interest. Would it look even worse to have an astronomy teacher be a science LOR? The following course descriptions are for the possible astronomy courses:

1. Study of Earth's nearest astronomical neighbors, including the sun, planets, asteroids, and comets. Seasons, solar and lunar eclipses, motion of the planets in the night sky, recent planetary space probe discoveries, development of our modern understanding of the origin and evolution of our solar system and its place in the universe, discovery of extrasolar planets in distant solar systems. A minimum of mathematical analysis.

2. Life and death of stars, exotic objects including white dwarfs, supernovae, neutron stars, pulsars, and black holes. Structure of galaxies, formation of large-scale structure in the universe, and cosmological issues such as the big bang, dark matter, dark energy, and the past, present, and projected future behavior of the universe in light of modern astrophysics and particle physics. Conditions for the existence of life in the universe and the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence. A minimum of mathematical analysis.
I took two astronomy courses and enjoyed them a lot. The math I felt was pretty doable and I suck at math. I also studied with physics and/or astronomy majors since they had more base knowledge about this stuff. i would totally do it!!!

Are these those "physics for poets" type courses with minimal math so as to attract humanities majors who need to fulfill of science requirement? If you get A's in such courses, the adcom will see right through the ruse. If you don't, they'll wonder why you took these courses when you clearly had enough science courses to fulfill the gen ed requirements of your school.

Reactions: 3 users