Technology ASUS Eee pcs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I'm looking to get something that I can just run linux (probably gonna be ubuntu) on for some research I'm doing with a prof. I happened upon these little asus computers and I can get em for pretty dang cheap on ebay. Heres a question for you tech savvy peeps: can I hook it up to an external hard drive since they come with like 2-4 gb of hard drive to begin with?? I've yet to invest a lot of time into figuring things out with them so I just want something cheap for now....but 2-4 gb of hard drive wont last for long.

Members don't see this ad.

I use an eepc 1000H. I hook up my ext. HD to it whenever I use it. The only thing that you should see if you like is the screen and keyboard.:)

Yep, you can do that. Although unless you want to walk around with your external hd all the time, I'd recommend PuppyLinux instead of Ubuntu.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, you can do that. Although unless you want to walk around with your external hd all the time, I'd recommend PuppyLinux instead of Ubuntu.

teach me your ways, oh linux god

no really, I want know everything

PuppyLinux is one of the lightest distros Linux offers. Ubuntu is excellent (what I'm running right now, actually), but I don't know if it would run up to speed on 2-4GB. Looking online, I can't find which distro of Linux is pre-installed on the Asus EEE PC's, but I've heard it's pretty common for it to be PuppyLinux. I could be wrong, of course, as there are over a hundred distros. You can read about them all on this really cool site.

There really isn't any other knowledge I can impart to you, other than the fact that Linux is going to rock your world. You'll use Windows and be banging your head against the wall out of sheer frustration within minutes. [/blurb]

I tried one, I was unimpressed. I hated the keyboard (large hands) and the screen was about 2 inches too small to be terribly useful. It seemed to me like a poor compromise between a PDA and a real laptop.

Yeah, my uncle frequently complains about laptop keyboards being too small in general (he's got a 14"), but I've never had a problem. But then again, I've got the world's smallest hands, so I guess that really isn't fair. The idea of the EEE PC series (and all the other mini-computers out there) is to be like overlarge PDA's. They're not meant to be full laptops. A lot of people use them for business, and as the OP might, for research.

*shrug* I couldn't do one of these either. It's just too small--my 13" is perfect, thanks.

I am on an EEE pc right now and love it

doesn't the eee have an SD slot? Why not just add a cheap SD card to it? Unless you need massive amounts of hd space that is. An 8gb card should be like 20 bucks.

doesn't the eee have an SD slot? Why not just add a cheap SD card to it? Unless you need massive amounts of hd space that is. An 8gb card should be like 20 bucks.

Right, you can have a second HD by adding a nice large SDHC card. Look on NewEgg.com and you'll see some incredible deals.

The Eee 900 has a 20GB SSD storage space and it sells for about $350 or less nowadays. The 10 inch version on the other hand comes with 80GB hard drive.

It defeats the purpose of having an ultra portable pc if you gonna buy an external hard drive.

Right, you can have a second HD by adding a nice large SDHC card.

yep mine has a 16gig SDHC to bring total storage to 28gig.

so far i've got
windows + obligatory antivirus/antispy blah- ugh i SO wish it had OSX
firefox
star office - comes with eee, works fine for light use
iTunes + a couple of days worth of music
a couple of movies for watching on a plane or whatever
every ebook / medical resource I can get my hands on
all of my lecture notes
foxit pdf viewer

and 12 gig left over