asylee/refugee applying to medical school at disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Broccoli, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Many medical schools say they only accept applications from US citizens or permanent residents. What about asylees/refugees? We are allowed to stay indefinitely in the US, and we are eligible for federal aid. Are we at a disadvantage? If so, what is the reasoning behind it?

Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. galaxie

galaxie "visualize success"

Post Doc
    Aren't you considered a permanent resident? If not, I'm pretty sure you can file for residency. How long have you been in the US?

4. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    If you have indefinite residence and can file for federal aid, you are probably considered a permanent resident. Do you have a 'permanent resident card'? Having that care, will be sufficient proof for the purposes of medical school admissions.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    I have been in the US for ten years. I will finally file for permanent residency this year.

I am not technically a "permanent resident" because I do not have a permanent resident visa. However, as an asylee, I am an immigrant who is allowed to stay in the US permanently. I just don't have a green card.

On the AMCAS application, one of the choices is "Asylee/Refugee" which is what I picked.

I just got a little worried when I noticed that medical schools (except U Pitt, which says applicants must be either US citizens, permanent residents, or asylee/refugee) don't say anything about asylees/refugees. Most medical schools just say you must be either a US citizen or permanent resident.

Think I'll be fine? I really hope so, I'd be bummed out if not!

6. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Well, its a specific enough situation where you should definitely call every single one of the schools that you are interested in, and ask! :)

Oh and by the way, file for PR status as pronto as you can!! It takes a LONG time.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun. I will be contacting them soon. Thanks for your response.

I did a search on SDN about this and I'm surprised that no one has dealt with this before! You'd think there's quite a few asylees/refugees applying to medical school.

8. gl0baltrader

Medical Student
    I am in the same situations as you. applying to med school as a refugee / asylum status but the difference is i have my permanent resident.

Many schools require permanent residence statue i.e. your green card to be given a secondary or have your applications reviewed. So your best bet is to apply to school that takes in international students such as Stanford and Columbia.

Good luck in your application process and I hope that you have a high MCAT and GPA.