At a crossroads, what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thispakistagirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying to college next school and I'm torn between which college I should go to.

College A:
PRO
-I know I can get in. 15th best public uni in the country (VTech).
-Good Biology program.
-I'm certain I can maintain at least a 3.8-3.9 at this university.
-I will be able to graduate in 2-2.5 years, which is a major goal of mine.
-The Campus is nice (very beautiful) and it has the best food in the nation.
CON
- Not my dream school
- Not as prestigious as B
- Doesn't have the specific major that I'm exactly "crazy about
- Doesn't have the student activities that I want to take part in

College B
PRO
- It is my dream school
- Easy transportation to Northern VA
- Most friends are going there (or aspire to)
- UVA, one of the best universities in the nation
- Has Neuroscience major which I'm extremely attracted to
- Has immense amount of professor-student research options
- Has a dedicated student body
- Offers a challenging environment that will better prepare me for MCATS
- Will look better on a Med school application
CON
- It'll be harder for me to get in (I don't want to jinx it)
- It's extremely challenging and I don't know if I can even attain a 3.8
- The neuroscience major is really competitive (application process)
- I will have to go through 3 years of college

Help me out?

I don't want to miserable academics-wise in college.

Any advice is greatly appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

how about posting this in hSDN when you actually get accepted to both schools?

Go wherever you will be most comfortable. It is there that you will do your best.

On the other hand, i dont know if a specific school will better prepare you for the MCATs. And I dont think it will matter if you go to UVA or VT in terms of Med School apps. The higher your GPA the better, but if you will be happier at UVA because it is your Dream School, then go there assuming you get in. IMO if you are looking to go to med school outside of that region, nobody will know the difference between UVA and VT. keep that in mind. Unless its an Ivy league, I dont think you will see anybody pick favorites over what UG school you went to.

Best of Luck in the future, and with your looming decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
lolwut.jpg

Why don't you get accepted to the schools before you make this decision?

It's all good and all... except you haven't been accepted yet. One step at a time.

I mean I wouldn't have posted this if I'd thought I didn't have a chance of getting in to both, which I think is highly unprobably given my stats.

On another subject, I thought that med school admissions would definitely know the difference between UVA and tech.

On another subject, I thought that med school admissions would definitely know the difference between UVA and tech.

They will. People debate how much it matters, but UVA is a state school with a strong reputation, just like Michigan, UCLA, UCB, and a few others.

So I'm applying to college next school and I'm torn between which college I should go to.

College A:
PRO
-Good Biology program.
CON
- Not my dream school

College B
PRO
- It is my dream school
CON

Help me out?

UVA: APR 1 - Admission decisions mailed and available online. (http://www.virginia.edu/undergradadmission/admission.html) Means that you would know by now. If you want people to help you, you should not lie to them.

VTech: Decision on April 1 ( http://www.admiss.vt.edu/apply/freshman/dates_deadlines.php )

Means that you would know by now from both colleges. If you want people to help you, you should not lie to them.

^Uhh my intentions were not to lie, as I am applying to college NEXT year, not this year.

lol....

Look Thispak: I hate to spoil this for you, but you have NO idea how well you're going to do in college before you get there. Everyday there are 6 threads on SDN about someone who is bombing freshman year because they didn't think it would require so much effort. That combined with the social aspects and the fact that mommy and daddy aren't there to hold your hand anymore result in a major wakeup call for some. Thus, you shouldn't be trying to predict the future of your grades.

School selection really comes down to 3 things: happiness, money, and prestige. And, unfortunately, it's usually a game of pick two. In regards to the prestige of UVA vs. VT: UVA isn't going to bump you into some stratosphere of admissions committee awe over VT. Do well at either and the same options are going to be open to you.

Members don't see this ad :)

College A:
PRO
-Good Biology program.
CON
- Not my dream school

College B
PRO
- It is my dream school
CON

Help me out?

Thats pretty neat how you are already certain of the gpa you're going to get without even taking the courses yet

College A:
PRO
-Good Biology program.

CON
- Not my dream school

College B
PRO
- It is my dream school
CON

Help me out?

Jesus Christ Pre-Pre-med Gunner

First you sound like a complete prick. Really you can keep a 3.8-3.9? Next you can graduate in 2-2.5 years? How much college credit do you already have (See Math Below)!

Lets say you need 120 Hours to graduate (Normal I think)

20 Hours a semester (2.5 years at 5 semesters 120 hours)- You will be burned out around semester 2.

But if your up for a lot of school, no partying at all, and a complete lack of friends then go for it.

Slow down grasshopper, seriously, hit the brakes.
Unless your in on some kind of secret that nobody else is, you have no way of predicting what GPA you will get in college or how fast you will finish it because you have not taken college credits yet, or atleast you haven't mentioned taking college credits.
You do realize it takes 2 years for people to get an associates?? which is equivalent to half a bachelors.
You will be miserable if you cram college into 2 years...
Apply to both schools, try out an overnight visit, and ultimately pick the school you will feel most comfortably at, if finances is not an issue.
And again... i repeat...slow down.
Good luck :thumbup:

Ok well yes I'm thinking of the GPA I want in college, as everyone should be. I'm paying FOR college obviously to get a good GPA. And no I'm not a prick, I just want to be a really good doctor, if that defines being a prick, I guess I am.

And I plan to finish in 2-2.5 years because I already have 36 credits towards UVa and VTech through AP Classes, I just didn't throw out a random number.

I plan on taking some summer classes, I mean I've really thought this out.

And my mommy and daddy will always be there to hold my hand:)

Well, thanks for the advice...I guess? But I'll rely on my counselor.

Oh! And I've been on an overnight visit, both are equally awesome. Some have certain flaws but they both sort of equal out.

Everybody pays to go to college and strives to get a good GPA, all you can do is work hard and hope for the best. Sometimes there will be bumps along the way so things won't work out as precisely as planned.
Are the AP credits approved and accepted by the school?, hypothetically, of course.

Ok well yes I'm thinking of the GPA I want in college, as everyone should be. I'm paying FOR college obviously to get a good GPA. And no I'm not a prick, I just want to be a really good doctor, if that defines being a prick, I guess I am.

And I plan to finish in 2-2.5 years because I already have 36 credits towards UVa and VTech through AP Classes, I just didn't throw out a random number.

I plan on taking some summer classes, I mean I've really thought this out.

And my mommy and daddy will always be there to hold my hand:)

This is the worst idea ever. College is not just about finishing as fast as possible, its for you to grow intellectually, socially, spiritually etc. People who rush through college miss out on this. Granted, I know people who graduated in 3 years for financial reasons (this is entirely different). But, this is not what you are talking about; you are just trying to prove you can get to the finish line first. By the way, the finish line to what? Medical school isn't going anywhere.

If that doesn't convince you, I will put it in terms you can better understanding you will be LESS attractive to medical school admissions graduating in 2.5 years. WHY? Well I am glad you asked:

a) You will not have had the time to take a diverse range of coursework (cause you need to pack in your major and premed courses) as other students. This shows lack of breadth to your undergraduate education.

b) This also makes you seem less appealing as a candidate cause you had no desire to learn more in depth (just finish and get out). It is unlikely, you will get a chance to sample a large range of upper level sciences in 2.5 years even with AP credits.

c) You won't have time to get in all those extracurriculars your "competition has" cause you will be cramming in courses...plus, less years to physically fit things in.

d) Leaves very little time for volunteering, research or other things that will make you an attractive medical school applicant.

So, let's break it down:

Candidate A: 3.8 GPA, Top 25 school, graduates in 4 years, numerous awards, minored in Linguistics/Neuroscience major, volunteer EMT, Tutor, Research--poster presentation, and honors thesis, was involved in non-divisional (aka for fun) water polo team

Candidate B: 3.8 GPA, Top 25 school, graduates in 2.5 years, Neuroscience major, tutor for orgo

Which one of these people sound more interesting? Which one would you rather have a conversation and work with?

I am sorry to have to put this even in terms of medical school admission but otherwise, I feel as though the OP would ignore these claims (of YOU NEED TO DEVELOP AS A PERSON)

P.S. Where I went to college (I won't say which school, but its in that League that everyone is always trying to get into--see if you picked that up), they don't let people graduate early (even with AP credits). A bachelors degree takes a minimum of 4 years. Period. You could have 1000 credits. I think this one of the best things they do for students. There are plenty of people smart enough to graduate college early. The bottom line is... it's often a bad idea.

You did ask for advice, right? But hey yall, you do realize you are picking on a ~17 year old girl???

I think it's great for you to have these goals. Finishing in 2.5 years? Go for it. Socially, I found you get the most out of college the first 2 yrs anyway. And it's not like you stop developing as a person once you hit med school, you just might be a little less "developed" than your classmates. And if you don't get into med school after 2.5 years, you can always spend a year in Americorps or something like that and try again. Just make sure to do more than tutor Ochem, I would guess you will because you seem fairly sharp, although a little cocky for a high school junior honestly.

As for college, I would apply to both, as well as check out some others. There is more to the world than VA, that's for sure. Just keep your options open and enjoy the 2.5 years of college, wherever you choose, as much as you can. Good luck!

You did ask for advice, right? But hey yall, you do realize you are picking on a ~17 year old girl???
I think it's great for you to have these goals. Finishing in 2.5 years? Go for it. Socially, I found you get the most out of college the first 2 yrs anyway. And it's not like you stop developing as a person once you hit med school, you just might be a little less "developed" than your classmates. And if you don't get into med school after 2.5 years, you can always spend a year in Americorps or something like that and try again. Just make sure to do more than tutor Ochem, I would guess you will because you seem fairly sharp, although a little cocky for a high school junior honestly.

As for college, I would apply to both, as well as check out some others. There is more to the world than VA, that's for sure. Just keep your options open and enjoy the 2.5 years of college, wherever you choose, as much as you can. Good luck!

I agree that no one here should be picking on someone for asking for advice. However, this is the forum to get HONEST feedback (not someone who is going to just BS you--which is what we get from so many other people when we really try to get the "inside scoup" on things.

Hopefully, the OP maybe can reflect on her original gameplan and adapt it and/or spread her interests to make herself more well-rounded.

DrSmooth I would respectfully disagree I had the most fun and learned the most about myself (both socially and career-wise--wrote my honors thesis) during my senior year (wouldn't trade it for anything).

Dude (girl), chill,
seriously, no one knows anything about college when they're in high school.
no matter how many summer programs you've done and people you've spoken to,
you could never imagine what college is like.
hell, maybe you'll want to do something completely different when you get to university. so, i think what everyone is trying to say is you can not really decide based on things like graduation time and GPA coz you know nothing about that as yet, but you can decide based on how much you like the school, if you can afford it, and maybe even if its a good name to have. i think that's more important than any theoretical prediction of GPA. you just don't have the kind of data/experience to make such a prediction.

High school juniors should be nowhere near the pre-allo forum. They should be studying for the SAT or AP exams or just enjoying their adolescence.

OP, both are quality schools. You're thinking way too much about what you're going to accomplish there and how fast you're going to do it even before you have applied anywhere. Slow down and come back once you've been accepted to both.

If you cannot maintain a 3.8 at UVa you are definitely note getting into medical school. I would focus on culinary school.

Don't worry about prestige. Several of my friends and myself have been accepted to med school from a TIER FOUR college (USnews) that you have never heard of. Yes it happens every year and no it's not even uncommon.

Go somewhere you think you'll be happy. Go somewhere you can afford.

As others are saying, it is way premature to say what kind of GPA you are going to obtain anywhere. I know you're smart, I get it. But smart people fail out of college too. Smart people don't know what to do with themselves once they are out of mom and dads house. Smart people have problems with professors. Smart people run into health problems. Way too many variables besides intelligence go into a GPA.

As far as your 2 year plan, slow it down. Seriously. I would urge you to reconsider just taking the AP credits. You are going to be throwing yourself right into junior level classes. You may think you can handle it, but so did more than a few of my classmates that have since fallen by the wayside. Start slow. Take the freshman classes. If you are successful as you would hope (and I do too, I really do) at worst they are easy A's.

Your AP credits don't count towards your GPA. You are really at a disadvantage here. Your classmates will have 2 years of easy A's under their belts. You won't. One B to them won't mean anything, but it will really affect your very young GPA.

Hey kiddo, I doubt this is what you wanna hear right now, but just my (entirely good natured) two cents:

Relax. The entire world opens up for you in college. There is so much more to being a better doctor and just an all around well-balanced human being than racing through college as fast as you can with as high a GPA as you can manage. Whatever school you go to, get involved, have fun, make friends, take random classes you don't need but just sound fascinating, volunteer (at something you like, not just what you think will look best on your application), go to parties, play intramural sports, take the walk of shame, maybe study abroad, find out exactly how much alcohol you can handle...just live.

I promise you that being in such a hurry won't always sound so appealing. College is over before you know it even when it takes four years, and suddenly adulthood, which you've been waiting for for so long, seems somehow less appealing than it used to. I promise you, you can still be a fantastic doctor (and probably even a better one, since you'll be able to actually relate to your patients as people and not just as puzzles to solve) if you slow down a little. You can afford to have some fun! :)

Sorry guys, I just don't see the problem with this kid finishing college early. She already *has* the credits. Is there really that much she will get out of an extra 1.5 years of partying, volunteering and elective classes? Who says college should last 4 yrs? That is just an arbitrary number that American higher education picked up along the way. I think med school is big enough for a few Doogie Howsers, and if this girl ends up being one of them then why not? There is plenty of stuff she could do in 2.5 years, and she has the rest of med school, residency, and life to keep on blossoming. She still won't be a practiceing physician until shes almost 30. I mean, what's the alternative? She retakes every pre-req so she has extra time to join a sorority or play more beer pong? I just don't see it.

Is there really that much she will get out of an extra 1.5 years of partying, volunteering and elective classes?
To be a premed and graduate in 2.5 years, you pretty much have to know you're going to be a pre-med coming in and start doing the pre-med thing right away. Maybe you're special and you've had exposure to medicine before and just know that it's the field for you, but if you come in as a 17 year old gunning for medical school from the first day, you don't really give yourself a chance to expose yourself to other fields or other things that you could potentially like because you're probably going to be too busy trying to check things off that pre-med requirement list that everyone seems to think exists.

Who says college should last 4 yrs? That is just an arbitrary number that American higher education picked up along the way. I think med school is big enough for a few Doogie Howsers, and if this girl ends up being one of them then why not?
Fair enough, I'll agree that 4 years is an arbitrary number.

However, for a lot of people, college is one of the best times of their lives. To trade in what is probably going to be an awesome time so that you can ... what? Start working sooner? You've got plenty of years of work ahead of you, I don't see what the rush is.

If you asked a 65 year old who's been practicing for 30 years if he'd trade in a year of his medical practice to go back to college, I'm guessing he/she would take it. You don't want to live life with regrets.

There is plenty of stuff she could do in 2.5 years, and she has the rest of med school, residency, and life to keep on blossoming.
I don't think anyone's recommending that she stops growing. It's just that there are a lot of unique opportunities to pursue things in college that you can't really pursue once you're in med school, residency and life. If you've wanted to join an a cappella group or join a dance team or try out a new sport, it's a lot easier to do it in college than when you're grown up and have a family or a full-time job.

She still won't be a practiceing physician until shes almost 30. I mean, what's the alternative? She retakes every pre-req so she has extra time to join a sorority or play more beer pong? I just don't see it.
What can you do with free time in college? Seriously?

You can take classes that are out of your comfort zone rather than just your general requirements and premed classes. You can challenge yourself. You can learn to think critically. You could learn a new language. You could study abroad! Multiple times! You could make some damn mistakes. You could join a dance team. You could take an acting class. You could get some sleep. You could stay up all night talking to people. I can't believe this is even a question!

Why are you intent on graduating in 2-3 years? Why are posting anything before getting accepted anywhere? WHY didn't you apply to BS/MD programs if you're so confident and in such a rush? And why are you posting in a forum intended for people getting ready to apply to med school?

A couple things:

Being younger when you apply to med school makes it significantly harder to get in. You need to be a lot stronger candidate if you're 18-19 when you apply than if you were going to be 22, mostly bc of perceived maturity and life experiences.

I know a number of people who applied to med school at that age and almost all of them did worse in their cycle than they expected. Some of them are on here and maybe will reply to this thread.

Also, being a lot younger than your classmates makes things challenging socially to a certain degree in my experience.

As a Hokie, I can tell you we have much better football, better tailgating, better looking women, and better bars. :cool:

As a Hokie, I can tell you we have much better football, better tailgating, better looking women, and better bars. :cool:

Really? Take a trip to an SEC school to see real football, tailgating, great looking women and men for the OP, and awesome bars..

Seriously, as a Pakistani myself, why do you all want to graduate college in 2 years? You guys give the rest of us bad reputations as super-gunners and it really pisses me off

I completely agree that graduating early is likely not going to make you more attractive to most medical schools. Being non-traditional, I may be biased, but admissions committees seem to eat that "finding yourself" nonsense up. At least that's what our post-bac advisor liked to tell us =P

To say something about UVa vs. Tech: I would guess that if UVa is really your dream school, you might not be as happy at Tech. Yes they're both big state schools, but the cultures are very very different (as you must know). In my experience, outside of Virginia UVa is more well-known than Tech (for academics, at least...), which seems to be something you're concerned out. And if you're pretty sure you can get into UVa (though if you're coming from a Fairfax County school with anything less than a 4.0 and good test scores, I would not make this assumption), why worry about it too much. If you like both, obviously apply to both; and if you get into UVa, go. If you got into your "dream school," why would you go somewhere else?
Also: Any college is challenging. It is by no means impossible to get a 3.8/3.9 at UVa, provided you actually enjoy your classes. And you don't have to spend every waking hour studying (though I can't say that's true if you're bent on graduating in fewer than three years... but I suspect that you may change your mind about graduating early once you get into college, anyway, if you actually enjoy it). A friend of mine just transferred from Tech to W&M, and she still has a 3.9 (or whatever) GPA, despite W&M being the "harder" school.

Final remarks: Don't know about Tech, but UVa pre-med is a beast (not my direct experience). I know people who decided to say eff it and do post-bac instead of going through pre-med at UVa, despite knowing they wanted to do medical school. Also, Charlottesville >>> Blacksburg/Roanoke =P

Oh yeah, and if you graduate in 2.5 years from UVa you probably can't do a Distinguished Majors Project, which I would highly recommend.

Last edited: