Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

at a lost for what to do on my year off

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ramzax, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ramzax

10+ Year Member

Hi,

My parents are only letting me take a year off from medical school. Unfortunately, most commitments such as Peacecorps, Healthcorps, and Teach for America are two year requirements. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. mmmfood

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    your parents? taking time off, and the length of time off, should be your decision!

to answer your question though. i'm taking a year off right now. i work full time in a research lab. i think it has been a worthwhile experience for me.

3. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I don't see a problem. Take two years off if you want. What your parents think at this point in your life should be nearly irrelevant.

4. chessodoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you already accepted? If so, my advice is do something that you will never have the chance to do until you are 50 (and by then you probably wouldn't want to). Don't waste the youth!

5. Nevadanteater

Nevadanteater biochemical engine
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    You could (ahem) get a real job and not be reliant on the folks... But being supported by them is a pretty sweet deal, take it and run with it.

Anyways, healthcorps is usually a one year commitment, my term of service was actually 11 months. I totally recommend it.

6. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy

Attending Physician
    If I were to take a year off I would make teh money.

If my parents were to try and set the time in which I could make said money I would tell them to go **** themselves.

7. brucecanbeatyou

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe if none of the above stuff works out, you could ask your parents for a puppy! If you're really good, they just might let you have one!

8. w8ting2exhale

w8ting2exhale what a journey...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just get a job and make some money. medical assistant, research, etc..

9. MILK07

MILK07 Silence, I kill you!!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Or if you already have money, then travel as much as you possibly can. You really won't get the chance for quite a few years.

Go on a medical mission trip, do some research for fun... the possibilities are endless. (Especially if you don't need to make money to pay rent like me!)

Have fun before you start school!

10. ramzax

10+ Year Member

fortunately, my parents have been really financially supportive of me throughotu undergrad and will probably do so for medical school. i'm in good relations with them, so i have no reason to really provoke any unnecessary teen angst. in any event, Nevadanteater, you said you only worked for 11 months? were you a coordinator? they just got back to me telling me that it was unfortunately a 2 year commitment. i might get a research job. how did you guys procure those positions? connections during undergrad? thanks so much for the number of replies. you guys are great.

- tony

11. alibai3ah

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you are interested in peacecorp or teach for america type of work, you could always do americorp. You wouldn't be leaving america, but you will get to do work similar to peacecorp whether its teaching, volunteering, healthcare, etc. They have alot of options, and if you do americorp VISTA, I think you get a grant for a study you can conduct or maybe towards some other interest of yours. The downside I have heard is that it doesn't pay "the best", but if you get a research assistant job, you will most likely be making 18 dollars an hour at best....(atleast in Cali)

12. Retsage

2+ Year Member

It's only teen angst when you are still a teenager. You are an adult, them telling you what to do with your life is rather ridiculous.

13. Nevadanteater

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Are you talking about Healthcorps through Americorps/NACHC (http://www.nachc.org/community-healthcorps.cfm)? This is the organization I worked with (specifically with SFCCC http://www.sfccc.org)

I've never heard of a 2 year healthcorps position.

I was placed at a medical clinic for homeless people. It was amazing. I do not recommend doing Healthcorps (or any Americorps position) unless you believe in whatever it is that you're doing. There is a very wide variety of opportunities within healthcorps (Women's Health, Homeless Care, Health Education, Public Health, Underserved Health...) and within Americorps (Education, Community Empowerment, Environment...) and I couldn't imagine spending my year doing something I didn't really feel 100% about.

I got the position by applying. No connections. Just wrote a couple of essays and turned in my CV. I didn't really have much experience in the healthcare arena, but I showed my interest and explained why I wanted to work with the populations I was (am) interested in.

14. chessknt87

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    No, compromising free med school tuition/living costs that he wants to take advantage of because some internet stranger said he should is ridiculous.

15. whoisthedrizzle

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP: drink heavily and work the easiest job you can find. It's worked out very well for me so far.

16. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness

Attending Physician
    I used these guys to kill 5 months: www.ecela.com

There are similar programs for a lot of languages. See the world and pick up a few of the most medically relevant.

There are also cheaper/paying options, but if you need to earn money then why would you need to listen to your parents? It seems like it should be one or the other.

17. bjb305

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    since your parents are letting you take the year off sounds like they are willing to finance it as well... go to vegas and bet huge

18. Retsage

2+ Year Member

Then that's a choice he should be making. Less of a "my parents told me I can't" and more of a "I've considered my options and think it's in my best interests to take a year off."

19. ramzax

10+ Year Member

Sorry Retsage, I'm don't want to provoke an online debate, but I'm not sure what line of logic you're following. I think I've made it clear from my second post that I've felt in no way oppressed. I'm also not sure what you meant by "Then that's a choice he should be making." Clearly, I've made the choice to not compromise the opportunity given by my parents. Otherwise I could just as well forsake their money, but that'd be rather dumb of me in my opinion. I guess I could be chasing this abstract notion of freedom, but that may be overly dramatic considering I've been free to do generally whatever I wanted with a few exceptions, namely the one I brought up on this thread.

Nevadanteater, I was talking about http://www.healthcorps.net/. I went to your first site, but it seems as though the first link is broken (http://www.nachc.org/community-healthcorps.cfm)?). I couldn't find an application on that site either. Did you apply through the Americorps website?

Thanks

20. 4goneconclusion

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    +1.

21. FIREitUP

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was looking at the healthcorps website and at the bottom of the "coordinators" page, it says a two year commitment is required (i'm in the same boat as you). The link you mentioned doesn't work because there is a bracket and question mark attached to the link at the end. The correct link is: http://www.nachc.org/community-healthcorps.cfm

Edit: You have to copy and paste the link for it to load.

22. SmarmyIguana

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ... become certfied in yoga and massage! You'll be all zen and slender from the yoga, and anyone who knows how to give a good back rub is instantly popular, especially in med school, I would imagine.

Well, that's what I'd do, anyway. :)

23. skrilladoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i would go to alaska and work on a fishing/crabbing boat, make a ton of money, invest it/save it, relax for a few months/go see the aurora borealis, run a marathon, and bike napa valley.

easily done in one year.

24. linguini

linguini Hopeful member
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I think someone's been watching a little bit too much Deadliest Catch :)

25. MonkeyChow

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am working as a home health care aid for adults with disabilities. It's been a good experience for me and then I am off to travel in Europe and Africa for three weeks.

Definitely work an easy job with lots of free time! If I had the money though, I would spend less time working and more time traveling/having fun. We will work enough during med school, might as well have fun now.

26. Jmoh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If I get accepted to Med School, I want to take a year off and train to be an MMA cage fighter. I want to fight Fedor!

27. sprinkibrio

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Make money or don't do anything. Don't do one of the corps to help your application. I did very little and still got in.

28. Nevadanteater

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    http://www.nachc.org/community-healthcorps.cfm

There is a list of all of the organizations that take Americorps volunteers at the bottom of this page. It used to be that you applied directly through each individual organization, but now (I believe) that you have to apply through the Americorps website (however it is MUCH easier to KNOW which program you're interested in - the Americorps website is a NIGHTMARE to navigate).

+2

I did that before and after (and during?) americorps! Ha.