At first were you turned off by blood/guts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlwaysLearning!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My younger brother really wants to be a doctor, he loves biology and he is really smart, the only problem is he doesnt really like blood/guts/cutting people open, now is this just a phase that can/will pass? Maybe the more you see it the more it doesnt bother you? Did any of you have this problem? Its not like he is really grossed out, its just not something he likes to see at this moment in his life (hes 18). thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My younger brother really wants to be a doctor, he loves biology and he is really smart, the only problem is he doesnt really like blood/guts/cutting people open, now is this just a phase that can/will pass? Maybe the more you see it the more it doesnt bother you? Did any of you have this problem? Its not like he is really grossed out, its just not something he likes to see at this moment in his life (hes 18). thanks!

There are few things in this world you cannot desensitize yourself to. And there are plenty of specialties in medicine where other bodily fluids will be more prevalent than blood, if that makes him feel better.

You get desensitized pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell him to go volunteer at your local hospital. Ask for a spot in the ER or OR so that you get exposure to the blood and guts. That's what I requested and got when I got my spot in a level one trauma operating room. My first two operations were pretty gross and I almost passed out in the first one. By the end of the night, I couldn't look away. So you never know until you see it. If the people you end up volunteering with know what you want to see, they'll usually try to hook you up. Good luck.

Last edited:
As a rural kid who grew up hunting and raising live stock I have gutted, bled and bludgeoned nearly everycreature that walks the hills and valleys of the western united states. This doesn't bother me, neither does human blood. What does bother me is when people express distress or pain behavior when I see blood, patient knocked out in surgery with their guts on display no problem, people getting a cyst excised who make so much as a moan of discomfort, I damn near hit the floor. I think this is good--it lets me know that I am human, I am distressed by human suffering, or animal suffering for that matter, not even your food should have to suffer (however I'm not sure reserach counterparts agree--they to unbelievably awful things to animals). People think that tv decensitizes you to violence and gore. it doesn't. There is nothing like the real thing, I think for most of human history people were more like me than urbanites--blood and guts are just part of life. None the less, I have gutted and cut up more things than most of you could imagine, and still the blood of a suffering or distresed creature disturbs me, and on occasion makes me feel woosy. Eat a greasy breakfast, however, makes it a little better. People who don't find blood, guts and pain disturbing worry me.

I'd be concerned if someone actually enjoys seeing blood/guts. We didn't enter this field because we like it, but you have to accept it.

Just tell him to keep on cutting people open till he gets used to it. If he doesn't get caught and locked up for life he'll make a great doctor! Good luck.

It's a normal reaction. He'll most likely get used to it and move on. And even veteran doctors have things that absolutely gross them out.

I'd be concerned if someone actually enjoys seeing blood/guts. We didn't enter this field because we like it, but you have to accept it.
I like seeing blood. I'm not gonna lie. Showing up on scene for a 911 call and seeing blood everywhere was exciting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will never get use to those rotting, nasty, scaly, unwashed feet with the thick yellow toenails that look like fritos and the rotting digits.

For God's sake. Wash yer' goddam feet every now and then. You know who you are. You're not that sick. It will make it more pleasant for everyone.

Yes I agree. Dead people/horribly injured are way less disturbing than people who smell or have barnacles. I think there should be somone in front of the ED with a fire hose of soapy water. I mean really, they delouse people before they put them in PRISON but the hospital, nope.

People think that tv decensitizes you to violence and gore. it doesn't. There is nothing like the real thing, I think for most of human history people were more like me than urbanites--blood and guts are just part of life.

I actually am more bothered by watching operations on TV than I am watching them in real life. Such as, the plastic surgery TV show (before & after I think it's called?) on the discovery channel or even Nip/Tuck. I have to shield my eyes sometimes because it is just awful to watch. But if I'm in the room and the surgeon is digging around in someone's abdomen with their intestines hanging off to the side... I'm okay with that.

Don't ask me why - I don't really get it.

I have a professor who's a surgeon and said she used to pass out in biology class in high school when they used to show surgeries on video.

So yes, it will pass.

Tell him to stand in on a surgery. I was a little afraid that I would be disturbed by blood and guts, but then I saw a surgery and wasn't bothered in the slightest.

I would suggest some conditioning first. Even med students that have survived gross anatomy frequently faint during their first surgery. There's an entire thread on this in the Clinical Rotations forum.

I would suggest some conditioning first. Even med students that have survived gross anatomy frequently faint during their first surgery. There's an entire thread on this in the Clinical Rotations forum.

Yeah, you occasionlly run into stuff that will give you creeps the first time. Like the first really, really, really obese patient you see in an exlap, all that yellow fat being cut open - the first time that happened I broke out in a cold sweat had to look away. Also one time was first assist with the ENT plastics attendeding as we plated this guys jaw back together - working in the mouth (hello, where is OMF when you need those lazy dentists?), scraping tissue away from the jaw bone to get a good surface to drill. I gagged. But it was just me an him and it was too good an oppourtunity to pass up and you just "buck-up". Things will still catch ya for sure, but nothing ever sticks.

weird, I guess I just played too many violent video games as a kid. The only thing that has ever bothered me is feces.

I will never get use to those rotting, nasty, scaly, unwashed feet with the thick yellow toenails that look like fritos and the rotting digits.

For God's sake. Wash yer' goddam feet every now and then. You know who you are. You're not that sick. It will make it more pleasant for everyone.

Uh....I don't know if you realized this, but your blog isn't AT ALL like Grey's! WTF! WTF!?!

That's so true. Guts are clean and sterile at least.

Wait, how many experiences has an 18 year old had to see blood and guts, and who the hell let him cut someone open?

Tell him he needs to quit thinking about his future, and start thinking about poon-tang. :)

if he really enjoys cutting people open right now, he may be headed somewhere else before medical school.

don't worry about it, most people are relativley squeamish at first.

As a rural kid who grew up hunting and raising live stock I have gutted, bled and bludgeoned nearly everycreature that walks the hills and valleys of the western united states. This doesn't bother me, neither does human blood. What does bother me is when people express distress or pain behavior when I see blood, patient knocked out in surgery with their guts on display no problem, people getting a cyst excised who make so much as a moan of discomfort, I damn near hit the floor. I think this is good--it lets me know that I am human, I am distressed by human suffering, or animal suffering for that matter, not even your food should have to suffer (however I'm not sure reserach counterparts agree--they to unbelievably awful things to animals). People think that tv decensitizes you to violence and gore. it doesn't. There is nothing like the real thing, I think for most of human history people were more like me than urbanites--blood and guts are just part of life. None the less, I have gutted and cut up more things than most of you could imagine, and still the blood of a suffering or distresed creature disturbs me, and on occasion makes me feel woosy. Eat a greasy breakfast, however, makes it a little better. People who don't find blood, guts and pain disturbing worry me.

ah, do the two sentences in bold strike you as a wee bit ironic, coming from the same person?

ah, do the two sentences in bold strike you as a wee bit ironic, coming from the same person?

No no, I get it. If you raise it and eat it yourself, it's okay. If you raise it and use it to cure diseases, you're a pig and a mass murderer. Makes perfect sense to me.

Seriously, the blood stuff doesn't bother me (I've yet to be in an OR so don't know about that yet) but I got all pre-syncope in a small stuffy room with a patient with a rotting limb, the smell and the warmth of the stuffy room almost put me out.

No no, I get it. If you raise it and eat it yourself, it's okay. If you raise it and use it to cure diseases, you're a pig and a mass murderer. Makes perfect sense to me.

Did you guys fail the critical reading part of the MCAT. Notice that one situation involves pain and suffering and the other does not. That´s the difference--he can cut up a DEAD animal with no problem but watching an animal SUFFER during testing is a problem.

Did you guys fail the critical reading part of the MCAT. Notice that one situation involves pain and suffering and the other does not. That´s the difference--he can cut up a DEAD animal with no problem but watching an animal SUFFER during testing is a problem.

Actually I smoked that whole f-ing test, and your name is really much more appropriate than your probably realize, TexasFool. Here, let me quote the bolded portion for you again:

"I have gutted, bled and bludgeoned nearly everycreature that walks the hills and valleys of the western united states."

and

"however I'm not sure reserach counterparts agree--they to unbelievably awful things to animals"

We were laughing at the irony of those two sentences being juxtaposed. Both involve animals suffering and being killed, but the first is apparently morally acceptable, while the author claims that the second is morally repugnant. We were not referring to the OP in any way, shape, or form.

Now do you get it?

(God, nothing ruins an ironic moment more than someone standing there going, "Wait, I don't get it . . . ")

it was mostly the bludeoned part that was rather hypocritical. i knew what he meant though. he just didn't state it too convincingly....

oh, and RELAX!

he can cut up a DEAD animal with no problem but watching an animal SUFFER during testing is a problem.

Last time I checked they didnt' dose dear with some hard narcotics before they shot at them. Back in the day when I did animal research in undergrad the rats got so much pain meds(for an admittedly narly experiment) that they began to eat their own feet because it didn't hurt them to.

I ain't seen bambi chowing down on his tail during hunting season.