At least $200K in debt...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsegalBSD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been a few years since anyone has started a thread like this. Has anyone else calculated the cost of interest alone for our unsubsidized loans? Here's a shout out to all those who are planning on attending schools without merit-based scholarships...

oh man...

Members don't see this ad.

There's a loan calculator out there.. Don't remember what website.. and so long as I live like well.. a college student.. during/after residency for a few years I'll be able to pay off loans interest and all.. I'm sure you'll be fine

Well, it's been a few years since anyone has started a thread like this. Has anyone else calculated the cost of interest alone for our unsubsidized loans? Here's a shout out to all those who are planning on attending schools without merit-based scholarships...

oh man...

Yep, that's the big kick in the nuts that comes with this career decision; however, like others have said, if you live modestly during residency, you'll be more than able to pay off your loans (if you're worried about this, the life of most student loans can be extended to 30 years, thereby reducing your monthly payment). Afterall, how many jobs do you know that guarantee a basement salary of ~120K (if you specialize, you could be looking 2x or even 3x that amount)?