At risk of a C in final DIY post bacc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

workaholic181

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm really desperate to get some advice on this. I am in the last class of a DIY post bacc (physics 2). I took both gen chems, physics 1, orgo 2 and biochemistry 1 in this post bacc at a variety of state, private and CC schools and aced all of them.

I recently moved to another part of my state for work and enrolled in physics 2 at the local CC. I am at serious risk of getting a C, possibly worse. The entire class is failing as of now; the class average on the first exam was a 20%. My professor is extremely old, missed a week due to a surgery, and does not pretend to teach the course. He simply leaves after writing practice problems on the board, then gives exams that are not indicative of anything we would encounter in the book/homework.

I talked to the physics dept. head and so have several classmates. We are going to draft a letter about the issue and submit it up the different channels we have but I'm obviously freaking out a bit over this. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has ever complained about a prof on SDN but something really bizarre is going on with this guy.

I'm very worried that this would completely kill my success in my other post bacc classes. I took physics 1 in an even shorter summer course, at a state school known for being a pre med channel, and got an A and loved it. This course is just simply unfair for all enrolled and I'm considering taking the W. I know I could get an A anywhere else this situation is just untenable.

Any advice is appreciated. I have a week to decide to W or not. Just wondering how best I should play it for my app. It is possible I could get a B but again his exams are uncurbed and being utterly failed by the whole class; I'm not confident this is realistic.

Edit: I got a 514 MCAT; I can handle this difficult work, this professor is just killing everyones grade and refusing to teach.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the W and protect your streak of success in your post-bac. Use rate my professor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the W and protect your streak of success in your post-bac. Use rate my professor.
i did use that site before the semester and believe it or not he has a solid rating. Everyone in my class has exclaimed how odd it is that it's so far removed from that. I truthfully believe he's not well anymore, which is a shame.

Thank you guys for the advice. I am meeting with the dept. head again in a few mins.

This!!!

And complain tot he Dep't Chair and Dean. This professor is not fit to be teaching.

Goro if I were to drop, how would I even report this? It's in my Aacomas app that in taking this class now. Would I have to have this transcript with a single W uploaded?

I'm not trying to hide it and would absolutely let any school I'm admitted to know, I'm just curious as to how best go about it. Thanks for your advice as always.

Goro if I were to drop, how would I even report this? It's in my Aacomas app that in taking this class now. Would I have to have this transcript with a single W uploaded?

I'm not trying to hide it and would absolutely let any school I'm admitted to know, I'm just curious as to how best go about it. Thanks for your advice as always.
I'm not familiar with that level of logistics. However, this should be of lesser priority than your GPA.

Hey guys,

Thanks again for your advice.

One last thing; were I to drop this course and ace physics 2 at my state school (already registered for fall 2017) while working full time, and then updated all transcripts including the W from this CC, will that make the whole thing a wash basically? Do you think schools will write me off for this W, followed by an A at a better institution?

Hey guys,

Thanks again for your advice.

One last thing; were I to drop this course and ace physics 2 at my state school (already registered for fall 2017) while working full time, and then updated all transcripts including the W from this CC, will that make the whole thing a wash basically? Do you think schools will write me off for this W, followed by an A at a better institution?
I have a W from CC in a class much easier than physics and have been told to not worry about 1 W.