At what age did you enter Med school????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_GirL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what age did you enter Med school???? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

My class ranges from 21 to 34.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also 22-- our class ranges from 20-46 (!).

27 when I entered this year; I spent the last seven years since undergrad working as an occupational therapist.

Our class ranges from 20-41.

dc

but our class range is 17-45.
when I was seventeen, I could hardly tie my shoes...

boilerbeast said:

but our class range is 17-45.
when I was seventeen, I could hardly tie my shoes...

23 (24 shortly thereafter)

17 is freaking ridiculous - I'm glad I actually got to have some free time before starting :thumbup:

Antigunner said:
23 (24 shortly thereafter)

17 is freaking ridiculous - I'm glad I actually got to have some free time before starting :thumbup:

Bringing up the age curve at my school by entering at 36. Our average is 23 and oldest is 45. I have a theory that everyone is 21 1/2 and the 45 year old and myself shift the curve to 23!

23, turned 24 a couple weeks after starting. Oldest in our class is somewhere around 40 (I am guessing, we have 4 -5 that are 30 + I think).

Members don't see this ad :)
25....lost my late 20's to studying :( :p

if i had entered when i was 17 or 18, med school woulda been much easier. but no.... people want you to be well rounded, and sample the humanities in undergrad.

26, with grad degree (M.Sc.).

There are only 4-5 older people in my class but, nobody in their late 30's or above, I think...

It's a pretty young class, since here there is an entry premed program (70 or so spots) form High School (aka CEGEP); they do the M.D.C.M. in 5 years instead of 4 (the M.D.C.M. part is actually 4 years, but they take an undergrad year with various courses before medicine proper)... and start it at the tender age of 19.

noncestvrai

24 here. Would have liked to start a bit earlier but what can you do?

noncestvrai said:
High School (aka CEGEP)
:laugh: Yea, but they do a 5 year MD program there, so it compensates a little bit.

My class went from 18 to 38. Most people were 19 when starting, me included. I'll be 21 in 3 months and I'm satisfied with my current situation.

17 is insane.

I am 22 yrs old. I kinda wish I would have done something other before coming. But I am here now.

19. our class range is 18-25... pretty young eh?

Scottish Chap said:
28. Our class range:21-50.
50?!? would he have a harder time in studying? i don't know if i would still be that mentally active in that age as to now

marooner said:
50?!? would he have a harder time in studying? i don't know if i would still be that mentally active in that age as to now

Wow, I agree. Plus, being a med student is physically strenuous at times too. I'm a 24- year old 3rd year and after a night of call, I feel as tired, stiff and aching as an old man. One of the guys on my team used to be a Marine, and even he is worn out after 8 hours of rounding post-call. I say kudos to the older crowd, 'cause its hard enough for those of us that are still relatively young and spry.

I'll be 21 when I enter next fall

oompaloompa said:
Wow, I agree. Plus, being a med student is physically strenuous at times too. I'm a 24- year old 3rd year and after a night of call, I feel as tired, stiff and aching as an old man.
That's because you guys grew up on Mickey D's.
I'll be 39 when I start! :thumbup:

I was 23 when we started, but I turned 24 the week after. Most of my classmates are two years younger than I am. Makes me feel old...

21. I'm a 22 year old first year now. The average age at my school is 24, and the range is 19-51. Medical school is definitely forcing me to develop my maturity/life skills quickly.

22. A majority of medical schools in Australia are now post-grad schools like the American ones, so the commonest age of entry into med school is 21-24.

bigdan said:
27 when I entered this year; I spent the last seven years since undergrad working as an occupational therapist.

Our class ranges from 20-41.

dc

same here, 27... and i was a pilates instructor :). our class ranges from 19 to 47.

21... and married.

20 but turned 21 in Oct...but there are some 19yr olds running around in my class

I will be 34 when I enter.

My uncle was 38 when he started. Now he owns about 15 other doctors, a beautiful clinic and some amazing imaging equiptment :cool:

entered this year at 25, just turned 26. I keep running into people my age and older that seem to regret (!) not coming a couple of years sooner. Which I find strange - I took my few years off to work 9-5, party, and figure out some things in life. Thank god for that, now I can study like crazy and not worry about what I'm missing...

Dr GeddyLee said:
Now he owns about 15 other doctors

Didn't know slavery was back in session :laugh:

19 then, now 21.

bgreet said:
Didn't know slavery was back in session :laugh:
Alive and well in the age of managed care :laugh:

23 when I started just turned 24 a couple of weeks ago. I did a 2 year MPH program.

24...was the youngest in my optometry school class....graduated in June, then started med school in August...In the middle of my second year now and still feel like an old geezer surrounded by my 20,21 y/o classmates. Still, they keep me young (am I old enough to say that?)