At what age did you enter Med school????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
18 it was a 6 year course at the time but the scary thing is there are several people who just turned 17 on the new course which is 5 years Some of the guys seriously look 12. If they introduced themselves to me as my doctor or med student I would laugh at them.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how there are quite a few people who started at 18 or something... I've forgotten about the BS/MD programs. Knowing dead sure you want to be a doctor right out of high school is craaaazy!

I'm Irish and medicine is an undergraduate degree over here. I was reading an article in a medical newspaper by an Irish guy who did his intern year here and is now doing residency in the States he was saying how strange it is to have med students who are older than him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Ive been to these forums for a while and am now posting for the first time.
My question is for those who started at a younger age than 20 at a US medical school (not combined bachelor-MD programs, just the regular MD programs- after getting a bachelors degree)...How hard was it to get in?
My reason for asking is because I just turned 17 and am almost done with my bachelors degree and currently applying. How did others convey their maturity to the admission committees (during interviews) in order to compensate for being younger than the avg. applicant. I have an interview coming up :scared: and have cold feet that they may find out and possibly question maturity because of a number.
Thanks in advance
PS. I have good academics and am involved in research and extracurriculars. I just worry that since the average medical student in the US is a little more experienced or educated than simple college graduates, getting a graduate degree would probably be the only way I can get in :( even though I did well enough as an undergrad.
Am I overanalyzing this? :confused:

accepted at 19. turned 20 10 days before school started.

DrZee said:
Hi!
My question is for those who started at a younger age than 20 at a US medical school (not combined bachelor-MD programs, just the regular MD programs- after getting a bachelors degree)...How hard was it to get in?
My reason for asking is because I just turned 17 and am almost done with my bachelors degree and currently applying. How did others convey their maturity to the admission committees (during interviews) in order to compensate for being younger than the avg. applicant. I have an interview coming up :scared: and have cold feet that they may find out and possibly question maturity because of a number.
Thanks in advance
PS. I have good academics and am involved in research and extracurriculars. I just worry that since the average medical student in the US is a little more experienced or educated than simple college graduates, getting a graduate degree would probably be the only way I can get in :( even though I did well enough as an undergrad.

I was 17 when I started college. I can't imagine applying to med school at that age. Isn't there some like 14 year old at University of Chicago or something like that? I know it happens, but it seems crazy to me, but I'm not quite that smart so I can't imagine what life would be like for someone who has the ability to go through schooling that fast. Good luck with your interviews...my advice would be not to tell the other interviewees exactly how young you are, they might not be very receptive to comparing themselves with someone who is that much younger than them and interviewing at the same school.

I was 21 when I started med school.

starwisher said:
I was 17 when I started college. I can't imagine applying to med school at that age. Isn't there some like 14 year old at University of Chicago or something like that? I know it happens, but it seems crazy to me, but I'm not quite that smart so I can't imagine what life would be like for someone who has the ability to go through schooling that fast. Good luck with your interviews...my advice would be not to tell the other interviewees exactly how young you are, they might not be very receptive to comparing themselves with someone who is that much younger than them and interviewing at the same school.

I was 21 when I started med school.

thanks for responding.. yes your absolutely right, I wouldnt go around telling people in interviews that Im 17...It attracts a lot of attention that makes me uncomfortable.
I've also heard of the guy at the university of Chicago who is 14...but he's studying for an MDPhD so he will be about the same age or a little younger than other ppl (early 20s) when he starts practicing (and besides he may wish to become a more academic physician and go into lab work and spend a little more time there before entering a residency) so overall theres no big deal in either of our situations, it just attracts opinions and possible negative attention that I cant afford to have in an interview situation.
For now Im just having fun and planning my vacation for the holiday break!
Most of the med students Ive talked to seem to wish they had an extra summer or another time to relax and enjoy thoroughly before classes started so thats what Im gonna do just in case I have somewhere to go next fall :p :) .

21, now 22. (5 years high school, 3 years undergrad)
Age range in my class is 21-35, mean of 24.5, mode of 23

Members don't see this ad :)
bigdan said:
27 when I entered this year; I spent the last seven years since undergrad working as an occupational therapist.

Our class ranges from 20-41.

dc

Its funny, my class range is also 20-41. Are you an RFUMS student by any chance?

i was 22 but turned 23 shortly after...mean age of my entering class was 25, age range was 20-43, with lots in their mid 20's - early 30's.

I am 29 now; will be 30 when I matriculate in July.

medgirl20 said:
I'm Irish and medicine is an undergraduate degree over here. I was reading an article in a medical newspaper by an Irish guy who did his intern year here and is now doing residency in the States he was saying how strange it is to have med students who are older than him.

Wow, that's a new one! I've heard of the 6 yr European model vs. the 4+4 (8yr) U.S. model, but 5yrs? Do most physicians feel that is enough time to learn everything they need to know? I'm not criticizing, just curious. I couldn't imagine cramming 8 yrs. of school into 5yr.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Wow, that's a new one! I've heard of the 6 yr European model vs. the 4+4 (8yr) U.S. model, but 5yrs? Do most physicians feel that is enough time to learn everything they need to know? I'm not criticizing, just curious. I couldn't imagine cramming 8 yrs. of school into 5yr.

Well the US model is basically 4 years of undergraduate medical education really since most ppl take much of the pre-reqs bare bones in high school and college goes just a little deeper (but not that much) so really, the US model is prolly the thinnest slice of medicine out there. the 4 years of University (college) we take can be as general and unrelated to anything healthcare as there is, so I wouldnt really count the undergrad years toward the medical education...its just called 8 years so we can think we are taking everything slow and easy and supposedly getting 8 years worth of "medical" education. I think its a long circuitous (spelling? :laugh: ) route to becoming a doctor. just my opinion.

I'm not been condescending or anything here but the courses we take in our last two years of secondary school and the terminal exams we sit at the end of them (Leaving Cert) are considered equivalent to NA college courses. Five years is plenty of time the only thing I'd say about it is people should be 18 starting it.

DrZee said:
Hi!
Thanks in advance

At my school we have several students who were accepted to a BA/MD program and so started their first year after 2 years of college, so they're all around 19-20. Having spent time with most of them (in class, out of class, in clinical situations)- I'm completely against these BA/MD programs or really anyone that young entering med school. These guys (the girls, for the most part, are able to sort of act like functioning, mature human beings, so it's mostly the guys) are incredibly immature and there's no way in hell I would ever let anyone I know be seen or treated by one of them- now, in 5 years, maybe ever. If you're still giving one another wedgies and laughing every time the professor says "breast cancer" or "rectal exam", you're not ready to be in a professional school.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, and is based on my experience with maybe 20 people at one school. And my opinion with 17 and 18 year olds in general. Nothing against teenagers, I used to be one...but a long time ago and I (and most other people in med school) have significantly matured since then.

mules05 said:
At my school we have several students who were accepted to a BA/MD program and so started their first year after 2 years of college, so they're all around 19-20. Having spent time with most of them (in class, out of class, in clinical situations)- I'm completely against these BA/MD programs or really anyone that young entering med school. These guys (the girls, for the most part, are able to sort of act like functioning, mature human beings, so it's mostly the guys) are incredibly immature and there's no way in hell I would ever let anyone I know be seen or treated by one of them- now, in 5 years, maybe ever. If you're still giving one another wedgies and laughing every time the professor says "breast cancer" or "rectal exam", you're not ready to be in a professional school.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, and is based on my experience with maybe 20 people at one school. And my opinion with 17 and 18 year olds in general. Nothing against teenagers, I used to be one...but a long time ago and I (and most other people in med school) have significantly matured since then.

I understand what you are saying and agree that maturity is certainly very important. Fortunately, I am a girl (not that being a boy is bad or anything :) ) and have been acting like a "functioning, mature human" since I was 13 and a half (about when I started college) and so I have a 4 year record of being sane and responsible for my actions. But most people just freak out when they hear this so I shy away from talking about it. When ever people ask me how old I am in public, I have to instinctively lie and say 19 or 20. Otherwise it gets two types of reactions: 1)WOW! Thats great! Your must be like a prodigy or something (I hate this answer the most because it implies that I Was a smart person at some time in the past and no longer can be that same person or that I am a modern day clone of Mozart and Einstein combined in one. In reality, no one is that perfect, and certainly neither am I, and I dont like flattery either) and Reaction #2) Oh, Really? Do you have a life? Why are you doing this? Did your parents make you do it? Do you feel adjusted? and other comments affecting deep cynicism, criticism and/or pity (This is not you, mules05, what you said is all with good reason, and I absolutely agree with your premises on who should attend a professional school).
Personally, I like neither reaction and I dont know anyway to get rid of it in other people so I just keep on quiet or change the subject in conversations.
This is the first time I am even talking about it in such detail. I must have lost all my inhibition or something. Oh well, enough of my ramblings :D

P.S. I got another interview invite today...yay :p

22. Fresh out of college. :)

DrZee said:
and have been acting like a "functioning, mature human" since I was 13 and a half (about when I started college) and so I have a 4 year record of being sane and responsible for my actions.

One question I have would be whether a 17-18 year old of either sex would be far enough advanced psycho-socially to be able to handle the responsibility of being a physician. Secondly, I would question how well someone in your situation (i.e., starting college so young) would be able to relate to a typical patient having not had the degree of life experience most doctors have had. Now, if you want to do enter a specialty that doesn't deal with patients all that much (e.g., research, pathology, radiology) that may not be a problem. Also, I would surmise that your young age might be used against you in any lawsuits if you practice in the U.S., FWIW.

Again, please realize I am not criticizing anyone who is cabable and interested in applying to med school at such a young age. I am simply making an intellectual argument against people starting med school so young. Whatever happens, best of luck to you.

32 - in spite of what I am sure are stellar academic credentials, I can't say I would feel comfortable having a 20 year old MSIII caring for any family member of mine... just from a communication stand point, I think it would be awkward.. I dunno..

Flopotomist said:
32 - in spite of what I am sure are stellar academic credentials, I can't say I would feel comfortable having a 20 year old MSIII caring for any family member of mine... just from a communication stand point, I think it would be awkward.. I dunno..

But what if the MSIII doesnt Look like a 20 year old and doesnt act like one either??
Part of my daily routine back in the day (freshman year) was to emulate older classmates in manners of speech, habits, preferences....eventually I decided this is making me feel older, so now I pick and chose how I act and do so with deliberate caution. For example, you will probably see me dressed the same way and smiling the same way in a psychiatry floor as you will see me on the street (I usually have a grin :oops: or grimace :confused: anyways) and I dont show my age that much so it shouldnt attract attention. Some people say I am baby faced :idea: but personally, I havent felt like I exhude inexperience or incompetence (even though I am). I find that looking people straight in the eye helps satisfy doubts on one's trustability. Competence, however, is harder to convey at a first glance....a few gray hairs help. Although my family usually starts going gray in their late 20s so not to worry, I'll get there :laugh: .
It takes time and experience to establish a rapport with any patient. In some specialty fields like Neonatology, the youngest ones are probably the best to go to for a problem since they are recent graduates and have been trained in the latest technology while the older MDs are either reluctant or doubtful so you see them administering certain drugs in amounts that new research shows negatively impacts another aspect of the patients development. There is the lag in everyone catching up and so being a younger MD isnt necessarily = to being inexperienced, it means you stand on the "shoulder of giants" who came before you. Ofcourse there are exceptions and even I can think of other fields where this theory falls apart. But I think I will go into a specialty where this may hold true-Although not Neonatology.

29 now, will be 22 when I get in.

Entering while young, exiting while yound, practicing while young and enjoying while old.

cant have something for nothing!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
One question I have would be whether a 17-18 year old of either sex would be far enough advanced psycho-socially to be able to handle the responsibility of being a physician. Secondly, I would question how well someone in your situation (i.e., starting college so young) would be able to relate to a typical patient having not had the degree of life experience most doctors have had. Now, if you want to do enter a specialty that doesn't deal with patients all that much (e.g., research, pathology, radiology) that may not be a problem. Also, I would surmise that your young age might be used against you in any lawsuits if you practice in the U.S., FWIW.

Again, please realize I am not criticizing anyone who is cabable and interested in applying to med school at such a young age. I am simply making an intellectual argument against people starting med school so young. Whatever happens, best of luck to you.

The fact that one can sucessfully academically and socially cope with graduating from college at 17, experience a broad range of extracurriculars, and feel confident enough to apply to medical school at such a young age should be good enough for most people.

Personally, I know many typical 22 year old premeds who are not psycho-socially advanced enough to be doctors. It is very much a personal matter. People who are not mature enough tend to become mature during the process.

Lastly, what kinds of experiences did you gain during four years of high school that will be immensely useful for you as a doc? :laugh:

btw...i tend to be quite immature.

Flopotomist said:

What if the 20 year old was just as mature as the 24 year old?

In India as in Ireland medicine is an undergraduate course. I am a m1 student 17 years old. Minimum age limit over here is 17 and max is 21. Over here it is a craze to get admission into med school. Anually 500,000 students give pre med exams for only about 11,000 seats throughout India. Med education in govt colleges is quite cheap. the govt subsidises almost 90% of the fees. A student of a govt college has to pay Rs. 24,000 i.e about $ 571 anually. The course is of 4 years with one year internship. Right now I am having Anatomy,Biochemistry and Physiology.Histology,Embryology,Neuroantomy and Genetics are included under Anatomy.

I’m 20 and in my 2nd year. Most of my experiences so far have been positive but there’s still that stigma of "he is a genius, a prodigy, but more common is people don’t take what you say as seriously.
Look, competition drives and maintains the exceptional standards in this profession. People will instinctively take any and every opportunity to 'walk on you'....if they are smarter, if they are more confident and especially if they are older and believe that wisdom and maturity come with age. The later is true to some respect, but should not be basis for jumping into conclusion on every teenager out there.
I spoke to several upper classmen and physicians before I got in about my speaking of my age and they all said i shouldn’t subject myself to the stigmata….added stress that ill face. I took the advice and I lied or just changed the subject whenever I was asked. But I’ve realized that IT AINT WORTH IT......It was actually more stressful holding on to your true age than it is telling it as it is. When I opened up, understandably, I started getting the stares, attitude, people trying to take advantage of you or walk on you but its part of what makes you ‘more mature’ and tougher mentally.
Its unfair to jugde if one is competent enough to take care of patients based on age. In fact, I can assure you that there are many young paduans out there with more exceptional life experiences have met more diverse groups of people and have better communication skills ----things that AGE CANNOT justify. Teenagers will be teenagers...laughing at dry jokes...giving wedges and some teenagers will be more mature than others but its important that you hold your judgements until youve seen em in the clinics interacting with patients.
My point is AGE is irrelevant when it comes to being a professional. Life experiences, personality and all those other factors speak louder than AGE. A measure of an astute physician has nothing to do with his age but his ability to be a team player and meet patient satisfaction. This will vary more from individual-to-individual than from 18 –to-45 years.

im gonna be 21 in june and i will be taking the boards by march :)

I'll be 30 when I start next year. "the older the berry the sweeter the juice" :thumbup:

21 --> will begin next year

TIMMY said:
I’m 20 and in my 2nd year. Most of my experiences so far have been positive but there’s still that stigma of "he is a genius, a prodigy, but more common is people don’t take what you say as seriously.
Look, competition drives and maintains the exceptional standards in this profession. People will instinctively take any and every opportunity to 'walk on you'....if they are smarter, if they are more confident and especially if they are older and believe that wisdom and maturity come with age. The later is true in some respect, but should not be basis for jumping into conclusion on every teenager out there.
I spoke to several upper classmen and physicians before I got in about my speaking of my age and they all said i shouldn’t subject myself to the stigmata….added stress that ill face. I took the advice and I lied or just changed the subject whenever I was asked. But I’ve realized that IT AINT WORTH IT......It was actually more stressful holding on to your true age than it is telling it as it is. When I opened up, understandably, I started getting the stares, attitude, people trying to take advantage of you or walk on you but its part of what makes you ‘more mature’ and tougher mentally.
Its unfair to jugde if one is competent enough to take care of patients based on age. In fact, I can assure you that there are many young paduans out there with more exceptional life experiences have met more diverse groups of people and have better communication skills ----things that AGE CANNOT justify. Teenagers will be teenagers...laughing at dry jokes...giving wedges and some teenagers will be more mature than others but its important that you hold your judgements until youve seen em in the clinics interacting with patients.
My point is AGE is irrelevant when it comes to being a professional. Life experiences, personality and all those other factors speak louder than AGE. A measure of an astute physician has nothing to do with his age but his ability to be a team player and meet patient satisfaction. This will vary more from individual-to-individual than from 18 –to-45 years.
Well Done :clap:

Pompacil said:
21 then which would make me uimmm 24 now.

And the ones who came in younger? Chumps. Way to miss out on the college experience, jackasses!

you sure u r not 12?

Wow, such young ages to be considered for medical school. There has been talk on maturity and I thought I'd throw 2 cents into the bank. First off, anyone who tries to emulate people and lie about their age does not strike me as mature. Dr. Zee, in no way am I trying to knock you. Actually, I'm impressed at your accomplishments. Hear me out. As you grow older, you will experience what life brings your way, and it will make you a better person. If you are a religious person, you can check out Romans 5:1-5 and it preaches on what I'm talking about.
Not only is maturity behavioral, it is also physical. There is no way I could handle medical school at the age of 17 as well as I could now because my intellectual ability was not as large as it is now. I was not as developed at that age. Considering Dr. Zee went to college at 13 goes to show you that not all people develop at the same rate and maybe she is actually 5 years ahead of everyone else, physical wise.
Dr. Zee, be proud of what you have done and do not be ashamed or feel timid about your age/accomplishments. Be proud.

Age is just a number to me!

TX515 said:
Wow, such young ages to be considered for medical school. There has been talk on maturity and I thought I'd throw 2 cents into the bank. First off, anyone who tries to emulate people and lie about their age does not strike me as mature.
I don't agree with this. We all emulate others whom we admire. Had Dr. Zee explicitly called the older students in her class her "role models" or "mentors," you would probably agree with her that it is great for her to have these older people to emulate. Or, had these people been professors rather than students whom she admired for their medical skills, teaching ability, research accomplishments, etc., again this would be considered laudible by most people. Why should it be any less laudible if her role models happen to be some of her fellow students, assuming that they are indeed people worthy of emulating?

Also, sometimes people ask questions that aren't anyone's business. Why should any of us feel obligated to respond if others intrude on our personal space? Am I obligated to disclose my MCAT score to every person that asks me about it, particularly when I know that doing so might lead to a similar kind of reaction as what Dr. Zee described? I certainly CAN choose to tell people, but MUST I do so just because they ask? Why should Dr. Zee have to tell people her age and feel uncomfortable because they are nosy? If Dr. Zee and other young students have convinced the adcom at their schools to admit them, who are we as their medical school classmates or fellow pre-meds to second-guess this decision? We will never know the full story about another applicant's life. Of course, the adcom doesn't either, but they certainly know a lot more about Dr. Zee than you or I likely ever will.

Dr. Zee, my suggestion to you would be to handle these awkward situations with humor and grace. The next time someone asks you about your age, feel free to look them in the eye, give a big smile, and sweetly tell them that a lady never reveals her age. ;)

Qof, You totally missed the whole point to my post.
Dr. Zee: Part of my daily routine back in the day (freshman year) was to emulate older classmates in manners of speech, habits, preferences....eventually I decided this is making me feel older, so now I pick and chose how I act and do so with deliberate caution.
Following someone who may not be mature is not maturity. Being your own self is believing that you are someone who is important.

TX515 said:
Qof, You totally missed the whole point to my post.
Dr. Zee: Part of my daily routine back in the day (freshman year) was to emulate older classmates in manners of speech, habits, preferences....eventually I decided this is making me feel older, so now I pick and chose how I act and do so with deliberate caution.
Following someone who may not be mature is not maturity. Being your own self is believing that you are someone who is important.
I don't think I missed the point of your post, but I do DISAGREE with that point. Emulating others is not necessarily a harbinger of immaturity. We all learn how to behave by copying others. I am 30 years old, but if you plop me into a brand new social environment, of course I am going to watch the "natives" and try to comport myself appropriately for the situation. At the beginning, I will not be as individualistic, at least until I begin to figure out what kinds of boundaries and behaviors are appropriate and acceptable in that context. Dr. Zee stated that she "emulate(d) older classmates in manners of speech, habits, and preferences" but she "now....pick(s) and choose(s) how (she) acts....with deliberate caution." We can argue about whether these classmates were in fact the best arbiters of proper behavior since they were first-years themselves, but she never said that THEY were immature or otherwise poor role models in general. She said that emulating them was "making (her) feel older." (Maybe her older classmates just have different interests since they are so much older?)

So, I disagree that her behavior makes her immature. (Inexperienced, yes, but that isn't the same thing.) I interpreted what she said to mean that she was feeling her way in a new situation. In fact, I would argue that her learning process (picking and choosing what works for her as she became more comfortable) does display considerable maturity. If, on the other hand, she simply blindly followed what the other students were doing without any type of analysis or consideration, that would be a different story. Perhaps we are actually in agreement, and we are just interpreting where Dr. Zee is coming from differently. If you thought she was a blind follower who didn't think for herself, then your conclusion would make sense. That wasn't how I interpreted what she said, though.

QofQuimica said:
I don't think I missed the point of your post, but I do DISAGREE with that point. Emulating others is not necessarily a harbinger of immaturity. We all learn how to behave by copying others. I am 30 years old, but if you plop me into a brand new social environment, of course I am going to watch the "natives" and try to comport myself appropriately for the situation. At the beginning, I will not be as individualistic, at least until I begin to figure out what kinds of boundaries and behaviors are appropriate and acceptable in that context. Dr. Zee stated that she "emulate(d) older classmates in manners of speech, habits, and preferences" but she "now....pick(s) and choose(s) how (she) acts....with deliberate caution." We can argue about whether these classmates were in fact the best arbiters of proper behavior since they were first-years themselves, but she never said that THEY were immature or otherwise poor role models in general. She said that emulating them was "making (her) feel older." (Maybe her older classmates just have different interests since they are so much older?)

So, I disagree that her behavior makes her immature. (Inexperienced, yes, but that isn't the same thing.) I interpreted what she said to mean that she was feeling her way in a new situation. In fact, I would argue that her learning process (picking and choosing what works for her as she became more comfortable) does display considerable maturity. If, on the other hand, she simply blindly followed what the other students were doing without any type of analysis or consideration, that would be a different story. Perhaps we are actually in agreement, and we are just interpreting where Dr. Zee is coming from differently. If you thought she was a blind follower who didn't think for herself, then your conclusion would make sense. That wasn't how I interpreted what she said, though.
Wow, I feel like QofQuimica can read my mind :)
Yes, when it came to emulating older classmates I did not blindly follow any freshman I found in my path. In fact I went to a community college for the first 2 years so many of my classmates were considerably more experienced in life (many had worked and had left other careers to return to college, some had traveled extensively) and they were older (many were over 21, some were married) than the average university freshman of 17-18. I think the people I chose to appreciate as role models were as diverse and interesting as one can find in any environment. So even then, I had a good idea of where I was and of what I wanted to learn from others. "emulate" is a bad word for it...perhaps the cliche: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" would be closer to it. Maybe even : "see what the Romans have already figured out so you dont make the same mistakes later in your own life" is a better approximation. :)