At what point did you not "get rocked" by UW anymore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was it after doing a certain number of UW questions? ie: 200-300 questions later?

Basically, I'm about to start UW and I am dreading becoming demoralized by the difficulty and the ensuing panic attacks. :oops:

Got any tips? tutor mode vs time mode?

My plan is to just look over the brief explanation if I get a question right and not read EVERY answer choice for that question (in an effort to save time),, but if I get a question wrong, I'll read everything.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't panic. It is difficult and yes it takes a long time. Remember that people often do the questions twice or more so the actual percent of people that got it correct on the first try is lower. Use UW as a learning tool because that's all it is.

dont do tutor mode or any of that stuff to make it easier

Uworld got easier for me when i went through all the material, i found it essentially straight recall at that point, mostly from first aid too. there are some blocks i do much better than others, and if you do poorly, learn from your mistakes and move on. its not worth spending extra energy to worry about it, just do what you are supposed to (harder said than done, i know..)

There was a steep learning curve for me with UW. Keep studying and you'll get used to the questions. I went from a low of 50% to a high of 89%. That's from a mix of studying and just getting better at guessing the ones your not absolutely sure about.

I didn't take any practice exams so I always did timed and random. I needed to make sure I had practice at my pace through a block.

Try not to sweat the "violations" too much and just learn the material, there will be hard blocks and relatively easier ones. I found the exam to be a mix of questions i only new because of UW, questions that were gimmes, and WTF questions that I hope were just part of my imagination and really there. Put in the hours, that's really what will get you the most return.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it after doing a certain number of UW questions? ie: 200-300 questions later?

Basically, I'm about to start UW and I am dreading becoming demoralized by the difficulty and the ensuing panic attacks. :oops:

My plan is to just look over the brief explanation if I get a question right and not read EVERY answer choice for that question (in an effort to save time),, but if I get a question wrong, I'll read everything.

My average on timed, random sets of 48 had really jumped up (as in 15-20%) by the time I got halfway through World. I'm taking my exam Thursday, so for the last week or so, I have switched to tutor mode to get instant feedback. Honestly, I wish I had done it sooner. I think it's important to do timed blocks at some point (either at the beginning or mixed in with other blocks, like every 4th block or something like that) just so you get a feel for how much time you'll have on the real thing. On the other hand, I suppose you could theoretically do all tutor mode on World and just do timed NBMEs. I think the key is to use World as more of a learning tool than an assessment tool, hence why I now think tutor mode is probably more valuable overall than the timed mode.

Also, I would recommend reading all the answer choices and explanations for EVERY question, even the ones you get right. There is often information in the other answer choices that is not necessarily pertinent to that question, so you might still learn something that you didn't need to know to get the question right. Example: Let's say you have a question that describes the morphology of a thyroid mass and you have to make the diagnosis. After reading the vignette, you are 100% sure that it's a papillary tumor, so you get the question correct. However, the question explanation will probably go into detail about the other answer choices, so you would probably be able to read info about how follicular, anaplastic, etc. would have been described if they were the correct answers, which you may not have been 100% sure of.

Don't panic. It is difficult and yes it takes a long time. Remember that people often do the questions twice or more so the actual percent of people that got it correct on the first try is lower. Use UW as a learning tool because that's all it is.
Thanks for your input TMP-SMX. You said it takes a long time; do you think I can get through the whole UW qbank in a month's time? Thanks in advance.

dont do tutor mode or any of that stuff to make it easier

Uworld got easier for me when i went through all the material, i found it essentially straight recall at that point, mostly from first aid too. there are some blocks i do much better than others, and if you do poorly, learn from your mistakes and move on. its not worth spending extra energy to worry about it, just do what you are supposed to (harder said than done, i know..)
Hey ENThopeful, thanks for the response. You suggested NOT doing tutor mode. So you only did timed blocks? Why didn't you feel that tutor mode would've been of benefit to you? Also, when you said "went through all the material", are you talking about all the UW questions, or what?

Does anyone have the opposite opinions on this? (just want to weigh the pros and cons).

There was a steep learning curve for me with UW. Keep studying and you'll get used to the questions. I went from a low of 50% to a high of 89%. That's from a mix of studying and just getting better at guessing the ones your not absolutely sure about.

I didn't take any practice exams so I always did timed and random. I needed to make sure I had practice at my pace through a block.

Try not to sweat the "violations" too much and just learn the material, there will be hard blocks and relatively easier ones. I found the exam to be a mix of questions i only new because of UW, questions that were gimmes, and WTF questions that I hope were just part of my imagination and really there. Put in the hours, that's really what will get you the most return.
Thanks for your advice. :thumbup: But regards to practicing your pace through a block, wouldn't it be better to practice that with an NMBE exam? (I know you said you didn't use practice exams). I ask because I've always read that UW is to LEARN, and not to assess/practice test-taking skills (since UW is substantially harder than the real step 1).

My average on timed, random sets of 48 had really jumped up (as in 15-20%) by the time I got halfway through World. I'm taking my exam Thursday, so for the last week or so, I have switched to tutor mode to get instant feedback. Honestly, I wish I had done it sooner. I think it's important to do timed blocks at some point (either at the beginning or mixed in with other blocks, like every 4th block or something like that) just so you get a feel for how much time you'll have on the real thing. On the other hand, I suppose you could theoretically do all tutor mode on World and just do timed NBMEs. I think the key is to use World as more of a learning tool than an assessment tool, hence why I now think tutor mode is probably more valuable overall than the timed mode.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.

Also, I would recommend reading all the answer choices and explanations for EVERY question, even the ones you get right. There is often information in the other answer choices that is not necessarily pertinent to that question, so you might still learn something that you didn't need to know to get the question right. Example: Let's say you have a question that describes the morphology of a thyroid mass and you have to make the diagnosis. After reading the vignette, you are 100% sure that it's a papillary tumor, so you get the question correct. However, the question explanation will probably go into detail about the other answer choices, so you would probably be able to read info about how follicular, anaplastic, etc. would have been described if they were the correct answers, which you may not have been 100% sure of.
I hear you loud and clear on that but I'm afraid I just won't have enough time to get through all of the questions if I do that. It's either A) risk reading through EVERY explanation and not getting through all the questions, or B) NOT reading EVERY explanation, and answering all the UW questions.

Option B seems better to me since I'll be learning things from all the questions ANYWAY, (just as I would be learning if I read EVERY explanation). Just a piece of mind knowing that "I went through" all of the UW questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input TMP-SMX. You said it takes a long time; do you think I can get through the whole UW qbank in a month's time? Thanks in advance.

Hey ENThopeful, thanks for the response. You suggested NOT doing tutor mode. So you only did timed blocks? Why didn't you feel that tutor mode would've been of benefit to you? Also, when you said "went through all the material", are you talking about all the UW questions, or what?

Does anyone have the opposite opinions on this? (just want to weigh the pros and cons).

Thanks for your advice. :thumbup: But regards to practicing your pace through a block, wouldn't it be better to practice that with an NMBE exam? (I know you said you didn't use practice exams). I ask because I've always read that UW is to LEARN, and not to assess/practice test-taking skills (since UW is substantially harder than the real step 1).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.

I hear you loud and clear on that but I'm afraid I just won't have enough time to get through all of the questions if I do that. It's either A) risk reading through EVERY explanation and not getting through all the questions, or B) NOT reading EVERY explanation, and answering all the UW questions.

Option B seems better to me since I'll be learning things from all the questions ANYWAY, (just as I would be learning if I read EVERY explanation). Just a piece of mind knowing that "I went through" all of the UW questions.

I am writing on the 8th. I bought a 30 day subscription, with the two SA's. By Saturday I would have finished world on timed and random, read through every answer except those that were just repeats (world repeats some concepts a lot), done both SA's and 2 NBME's and read through FA and HY molec again, all in 30 days. I'm not showing off, i might not even do that well, but if you put in the hours you can get a lot done in a month...

:)

I bought a 1 month subscription to UWorld a month before my exam and I was able to get through 84% of it. I probably did the first 50% on random timed blocks of 48, and then when it was getting to be crunch time, I found that it saved a lot of time to do tutor mode (so you don't have to read the question again when checking answers later). I think you could get away with doing all tutor mode (and again, this will save time) and just timing yourself on the NBMEs. Or do a few timed UWorld blocks every now and then just to see how you time yourself through blocks.

As far as feeling like you "got rocked": that's exactly the feeling I had during the first 50% of the questions or so. Basically, until I had been through all of the material in FA at least once, I always felt like something came up that was out of left field. Towards the last 2 weeks, I finally felt like I got it under my belt and my scores went up 15-20% from my original baseline. UWorld questions are much longer and more intense than the vast majority of what I saw on the actual Step 1 exam yesterday. I think it's really great preparation, and I only wish I had a bit more time been able to get through those last 300 questions and re-do ones I got wrong.

when u say random- does that mean you did all subjects and all questions- unused, incorrect, flagged....or just all subjects and unused questions?

when u say random- does that mean you did all subjects and all questions- unused, incorrect, flagged....or just all subjects and unused questions?
Mostly unused. I'll do some of the incorrect and flagged maybe after every few days so that I'm not recalling answers straight up from memory (also for redoing questions I had gotten wrong, I try to answer without looking at the answers in hopes of answering from what I learned versus what I remembered).

Always unused questions... I didn't have a chance to go back and do the ones I marked or missed.

I always wonder why people feel they are "rocked" by UW. When I started using UW in MSI, it was more logical and comfortable than many of my course exams. In fact, I prefer UW questions to USMLErx because of the multi-step logic of UW vs. the "gotcha with a badly written attempt at a tricky question!" style that Kaplan and USMLErx use 40%-50% of the time.

To answer your question, if you know the concept and the details (as per what you were chiding me for in the other post) you would only get "rocked" by very few questions.

In fact, you would start getting upset with Qbank and USMLErx for their crappy questions and run back to UW questions ...like I did before taking step 1.

But hey, like you say, "useless details that are never used in clinical rotations and residency should not even be taught in med school."

Surprise, knowing the details AND the concepts are medicine...knowing patterns is nursing.

I think McGill is right. :thumbup:

Study the material, then World is your friend and you won't get rocked. OR, 'rocked' will be when you get 68% instead of 78%, which is not that bad anyway.

I am writing on the 8th. I bought a 30 day subscription, with the two SA's. By Saturday I would have finished world on timed and random, read through every answer except those that were just repeats (world repeats some concepts a lot), done both SA's and 2 NBME's and read through FA and HY molec again, all in 30 days. I'm not showing off, i might not even do that well, but if you put in the hours you can get a lot done in a month...

:)

I bought a 1 month subscription to UWorld a month before my exam and I was able to get through 84% of it. I probably did the first 50% on random timed blocks of 48, and then when it was getting to be crunch time, I found that it saved a lot of time to do tutor mode (so you don't have to read the question again when checking answers later). I think you could get away with doing all tutor mode (and again, this will save time) and just timing yourself on the NBMEs. Or do a few timed UWorld blocks every now and then just to see how you time yourself through blocks.

As far as feeling like you "got rocked": that's exactly the feeling I had during the first 50% of the questions or so. Basically, until I had been through all of the material in FA at least once, I always felt like something came up that was out of left field. Towards the last 2 weeks, I finally felt like I got it under my belt and my scores went up 15-20% from my original baseline. UWorld questions are much longer and more intense than the vast majority of what I saw on the actual Step 1 exam yesterday. I think it's really great preparation, and I only wish I had a bit more time been able to get through those last 300 questions and re-do ones I got wrong.

Always unused questions... I didn't have a chance to go back and do the ones I marked or missed.

Thanks for the constructive input, guys. :)

I always wonder why people feel they are "rocked" by UW. When I started using UW in MSI, it was more logical and comfortable than many of my course exams. In fact, I prefer UW questions to USMLErx because of the multi-step logic of UW vs. the "gotcha with a badly written attempt at a tricky question!" style that Kaplan and USMLErx use 40%-50% of the time.

To answer your question, if you know the concept and the details (as per what you were chiding me for in the other post) you would only get "rocked" by very few questions.
I wasn't "chiding" anyone. Stop bringing up apples and oranges. Obviously we have to know the [nit-picky, never gonna be used in the clinic] details to do well on UW/Step 1. Nobody was/is arguing against it.

But hey, like you say, "useless details that are never used in clinical rotations and residency should not even be taught in med school."
I never said they shouldn't be taught. My other thread must've struck a nerve with you or something for you to bring that up like a little kid. LoL, you're still on that? Stop derailing the thread with irrelevant drivel.

Stop holding e-grudges. :laugh:

Surprise, knowing the details AND the concepts are medicine...knowing patterns is nursing.
*yawn*

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, another question:

Does UW have the same tutorial that the real step 1 will have? If not, where can I get this tutorial?

Thanks in advance everyone.

At least you finally admit that you were wrong and I am right...considering that I use all kinds of tiny details in rotations. It’s TRUE that most students get by without using them. That is not the point because that reflects on their intellectual laziness, not on whether it is useful in practical medicine. Any mechanic can fix most things on most cars but wouldn't you agree that tiny details become more and more important when a complex multi-faceted issue arises that don’t fit any set pattern? And since humans are a bit more complicated and unpredictable than an auto, I am sure you see my point.

I hope that you do realize that I am willing to help you get the best score you can get, despite your so-so attempts at being witty at my expense. I'll do my best to help you rock step 1, which I am sure you will.

Thanks for the constructive input, guys. :)

I wasn't "chiding" anyone. Stop bringing up apples and oranges. Obviously we have to know the [nit-picky, never gonna be used in the clinic] details to do well on UW/Step 1. Nobody was/is arguing against it.

I never said they shouldn't be taught. My other thread must've struck a nerve with you or something for you to bring that up like a little kid. LoL, you're still on that? Stop derailing the thread with irrelevant drivel.

Stop holding e-grudges. :laugh:

*yawn*

At least you finally admit that you were wrong and I am right...considering that I use all kinds of tiny details in rotations. It’s TRUE that most students get by without using them. That is not the point because that reflects on their intellectual laziness, not on whether it is useful in practical medicine. Any mechanic can fix most things on most cars but wouldn't you agree that tiny details become more and more important when a complex multi-faceted issue arises that don’t fit any set pattern? And since humans are a bit more complicated and unpredictable than an auto, I am sure you see my point.

I hope that you do realize that I am willing to help you get the best score you can get, despite your so-so attempts at being witty at my expense. I'll do my best to help you rock step 1, which I am sure you will.

Aww.. Now big hug! :laugh:

At least you finally admit that you were wrong and I am right...
Thus far, I don't recall admitting that I was wrong nor that you were right.

It's TRUE that most students get by without using them. That is not the point
It WAS the point of my other thread (to which you made a reference for some reason in THIS thread).

because that reflects on their intellectual laziness, not on whether it is useful in practical medicine.
You could've just simply stated that fair, honest opinion right from the beginning and maybe we could've carried on a meaningful discussion.

Any mechanic can fix most things on most cars but wouldn't you agree that tiny details become more and more important when a complex multi-faceted issue arises that don't fit any set pattern? And since humans are a bit more complicated and unpredictable than an auto, I am sure you see my point.
Yes, I see THAT point, and again, you could've just posted that analogy from the get-go rather than attempting sarcasm.

I hope that you do realize that I am willing to help you get the best score you can get,
Thanks.

despite your so-so attempts at being witty at my expense.
LoL @ irony. :laugh:

I'll do my best to help you rock step 1,
Thanks, just as long as you address the questions I pose to the forum without lame sarcasm.

which I am sure you will.
God-willing. :)

Aww.. Now big hug! :laugh:
:highfive:

New question:

Is the UW interface is 100% identical to the real exam?

Minus the heart sounds audio/video yes it is identical. They both use Fred 2.0. The NBME free 150 is identical and I highly recommend you do it.
For some reason (maybe because I used it on a mac?), I was never able to multi-task with UWorld -->if I had the notes open, I couldn't mark an answer. I had to close notes to open the calculator, etc. But on the real Step 1 you can have multiple tools open. Other than that, they are exactly the same.

I realize we've kinda let this go, but just my opinion:

I am fully into the clinical part of my course, I have seen tons of patients, assisted in surgeries, got **** on by residents, etc etc etc. I have also seen residents and doctors make mistakes that have cost the patient, and I have seen nurses make mistakes. And I have made mistakes. No-one forgets how to do CPR or how to put up an IV or how to feel a pulse, but everyone forgets details - and I have seen it cost a patient his life. (At least one patient). Knowing which chromosome is involved in NF 2 won't save someone's life, but the ATTITUDE of trying to remember all the details and revising and keeping up to date with the latest details will - I promise you.

Oh, and when a patient comes in with 40 pages of notes from 'wrong diagnosis' or 'wikipedia' and asks you stacks of questions you'll look like a complete idiot if you don't know details, and they notice, and then compliance goes down etc etc.

It is ALL in the details...

Minus the heart sounds audio/video yes it is identical. They both use Fred 2.0. The NBME free 150 is identical and I highly recommend you do it.
Thanks for the help.
For some reason (maybe because I used it on a mac?), I was never able to multi-task with UWorld -->if I had the notes open, I couldn't mark an answer. I had to close notes to open the calculator, etc. But on the real Step 1 you can have multiple tools open. Other than that, they are exactly the same.
Thanks.
I realize we've kinda let this go, but just my opinion:

I am fully into the clinical part of my course, I have seen tons of patients, assisted in surgeries, got **** on by residents, etc etc etc. I have also seen residents and doctors make mistakes that have cost the patient, and I have seen nurses make mistakes. And I have made mistakes. No-one forgets how to do CPR or how to put up an IV or how to feel a pulse, but everyone forgets details - and I have seen it cost a patient his life. (At least one patient). Knowing which chromosome is involved in NF 2 won't save someone's life, but the ATTITUDE of trying to remember all the details and revising and keeping up to date with the latest details will - I promise you.

Oh, and when a patient comes in with 40 pages of notes from 'wrong diagnosis' or 'wikipedia' and asks you stacks of questions you'll look like a complete idiot if you don't know details, and they notice, and then compliance goes down etc etc.

It is ALL in the details...
True, true..

hot damn your thread blew up. I didnt bother reading it so hopefully im not being redundant.

The reason why I suggest not doing tutor mode is cause it will only psyche you out. and also, its not similar to the real test, you have to learn how to get that flow going and learn how to move on etc, like you would on the real test. I got addicted to tutor mode for awhile and it was really hard to make the switch cause i was dieing to see my answers.

I still do get rocked in UWorld occasionally (i'll drop 20%s in some blocks) because sometimes they have these questions straight out of left field I didn't study for, I got one in 16s subunit and shine delgrado sequence today that was a slap in the face, because I had read it 2 weeks ago and deemed it unimportant... but to make myself feel better I just average the ones I did well in vs. the ones I didn't and it turns out alright.

Im taking my test in 2 weeks so I'll give you more advice when I'm on the other side..

hot damn your thread blew up. I didnt bother reading it so hopefully im not being redundant.

The reason why I suggest not doing tutor mode is cause it will only psyche you out. and also, its not similar to the real test, you have to learn how to get that flow going and learn how to move on etc, like you would on the real test. I got addicted to tutor mode for awhile and it was really hard to make the switch cause i was dieing to see my answers.

I still do get rocked in UWorld occasionally (i'll drop 20%s in some blocks) because sometimes they have these questions straight out of left field I didn't study for, I got one in 16s subunit and shine delgrado sequence today that was a slap in the face, because I had read it 2 weeks ago and deemed it unimportant... but to make myself feel better I just average the ones I did well in vs. the ones I didn't and it turns out alright.

Im taking my test in 2 weeks so I'll give you more advice when I'm on the other side..
Hmmmm, good point you make about psyching yourself out.

But there are 2035 questions, so maybe after doing 500-700 questions in tutor mode, I can switch to timed mode for the remaining questions?

w/e,,,,, I'll see what happens. :oops:

I like tutor mode...just as hard. same thing. just get some instant feedback on what you were just thinking. When you go back an hour later, you dont get that "what was I just thinking about" association.... I still do the test in the same amount of time, I dont read the answers, I just look for the green check! i dont dwell on it...keep going

but dont do the whole thing in tutor...simulate testing a bit...mix it up.

As far as how long it took before you dont get rocked, I imagine in varies! For me, I started in the 50-60% range and over the last few months, has gone up steadily. The last few days (I have the test in 4) I am now a 77-80something percents, but who knows, maybe I am just geting use to uworld? I worry the test will be a lot different than uworld...we will see.

good luck!

yea agree with the post above for the most part. just keep at it knicks, ive seen your posts and you've been at it for a long time. it should count for something (tell yourself this and don't let it get you psyched out). you'll get used to UWorld, see the patterns in the questions, find out what they are trying to ask you, and see the hints they give in the stem. often times they drop 2-3 clues. try to understand the kind of hints they give you, and learn not just the stuff in the answer, but also how to answer the question. a good example is a Q i got on h. flu, they said something about hematin, septic arthritis in a baby. i didn't know that it could cause septic arthritis in a baby, but i knew hematin was for h. flu along with NAD..

good luck buddy.

I like tutor mode...just as hard. same thing. just get some instant feedback on what you were just thinking. When you go back an hour later, you dont get that "what was I just thinking about" association.... I still do the test in the same amount of time, I dont read the answers, I just look for the green check! i dont dwell on it...keep going

but dont do the whole thing in tutor...simulate testing a bit...mix it up.

As far as how long it took before you dont get rocked, I imagine in varies! For me, I started in the 50-60% range and over the last few months, has gone up steadily. The last few days (I have the test in 4) I am now a 77-80something percents, but who knows, maybe I am just geting use to uworld? I worry the test will be a lot different than uworld...we will see.

good luck!
My sentiments, exactly.

Thanks.

yea agree with the post above for the most part. just keep at it knicks, ive seen your posts and you've been at it for a long time. it should count for something (tell yourself this and don't let it get you psyched out). you'll get used to UWorld, see the patterns in the questions, find out what they are trying to ask you, and see the hints they give in the stem. often times they drop 2-3 clues. try to understand the kind of hints they give you, and learn not just the stuff in the answer, but also how to answer the question. a good example is a Q i got on h. flu, they said something about hematin, septic arthritis in a baby. i didn't know that it could cause septic arthritis in a baby, but i knew hematin was for h. flu along with NAD..

good luck buddy.
Thanks for the motivational words.

And thanks to everyone in this thread for your advice.

I have been using a USMLE Score Calculator site at the Clinical Review site to get an idea of what my 3 digit score may be. However, am I supposed to enter the average of all of my tested questions from USMLEWorld or just say the last 300 questions. I didn't see any statement saying to enter the percentage of the last few hundred questions.

I started also recently using Kaplan QBank and there is a Step 1 Qbank score estimator at their site, and it seems like I am supposed to enter the average of all of the questions done. This seems a little strange since the average of all questions done may not correlate well with how well the person is actually doing recently.

Any idea which percentage (total average or recent average) I am supposed to enter?

Last edited:
I feel like peoples score starts going up after half way through world because the majority of questions are pharm, path, and micro. I feel like the majority of med students tend to be stronger in these three subjects when compared to biochem, physio, neuro, and anatomy etc etc.

I noticed that when i had like 40% left my scores jumped up to around 70%. The large part of that was because I was getting mostly path, pharm, and micro. So just because your scores are going up, dont trick yourself into thinking you are getting better(even though you probably are). I have been redoing the world questions, but as of right now I am concentrating on everything but path, pharm, and micro. My test is in 3 days so we'll see how it turns out.

Best of luck

I have been using a USMLE Score Calculator site at the Clinical Review site to get an idea of what my 3 digit score may be. However, am I supposed to enter the average of all of my tested questions from USMLEWorld or just say the last 300 questions. I didn't see any statement saying to enter the percentage of the last few hundred questions.

I started also recently using Kaplan QBank and there is a Step 1 Qbank score estimator at their site, and it seems like I am supposed to enter the average of all of the questions done. This seems a little strange since the average of all questions done may not correlate well with how well the person is actually doing recently.

Any idea which percentage (total average or recent average) I am supposed to enter?
Good question(s).

I'm also looking forward to the responses.

Good question(s).

I'm also looking forward to the responses.

From the clinicalreview site:

The data used to create the calculators is obtained from the public domain and from our own pool of students who have completed the entire USMLE Review course. The sample size is approximately 4,000 and consists of US Medical Graduates and Foreign Medical Graduates. The score estimate provided above is based on a complex multivariate weighted regression analysis and estimated continuous probability distribution.

With the calculator, you are able to enter one or more test scores to estimate your performance on the USMLE. If you have taken the NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessment (CBSSA), choose either your most recent score or the average of your most recent scores if the exams are within the same timeframe. Enter only your raw score (out of 800), not the converted score (out of 300). Other testing services offer a 3 digit score or an overall percentage of correct answers. Enter your average percent based off a large (over 250 questions) pool of timed, single-use questions with no repeats.

As you move the sliders to the appropriate numbers, small icons on the graph will move to show your estimated performance as an overlay on a normal distribution. Your estimated three digit score is the X-axis, while the Y-axis is the Gaussian function. As you enter more scores, you will note that your score estimate (the black icon) will move around accordingly.

From the clinicalreview site:

The data used to create the calculators is obtained from the public domain and from our own pool of students who have completed the entire USMLE Review course. The sample size is approximately 4,000 and consists of US Medical Graduates and Foreign Medical Graduates. The score estimate provided above is based on a complex multivariate weighted regression analysis and estimated continuous probability distribution.

...If you have taken the NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Self-Assessment (CBSSA), choose either your most recent score or the average of your most recent scores if the exams are within the same timeframe. Enter only your raw score (out of 800), not the converted score (out of 300). Other testing services offer a 3 digit score or an overall percentage of correct answers. Enter your average percent based off a large (over 250 questions) pool of timed, single-use questions with no repeats.

Since it mentions the most recent NBME score, I guess that implies also the most recent average from Qbanks. I was a little confused because the Clinical Review site's prediction for Kaplan Qbank percentages matches the predictions on Kaplan's own site, the latter which has the following statement on their estimator "(Enter) Average percentage you have received on the Qbank" which implies the percentage from all questions tested.

Well, at least for the prediction for USMLEWorld percentages, it seems to be based on the most recent percentage correct on questions .

Thanks.

Since it mentions the most recent NBME score, I guess that implies also the most recent average from Qbanks. I was a little confused because the Clinical Review site's prediction for Kaplan Qbank percentages matches the predictions on Kaplan's own site, the latter which has the following statement on their estimator "(Enter) Average percentage you have received on the Qbank" which implies the percentage from all questions tested.

Well, at least for the prediction for USMLEWorld percentages, it seems to be based on the most recent percentage correct on questions .

Thanks.

Ya, i think clinicalreview only uses the data from their 4000 odd student reports. I wasn't sure whether to enter the raw NBME score based on the chart for forms 1-4 or 5-6, but then I saw it predicted the same as 5-6, so I would assume if you took 1-4 then you have to use the 5-6 forms to 'convert' your raw score into the 'new' format.

As for Kaplan - I cannot imagine anyone predicting on the total score as some students take 4 months to do a Qbank and some do it all in one month. I would think (as medfriends suggests) that taking your last 600 odd questions should be very predictive.

Good luck! :thumbup:

i dont know why anyone bother's using clinical review, it way overinflates your UWorld percentage in comparison to NBMEs, at least in my experience

i dont know why anyone bother's using clinical review, it way overinflates your UWorld percentage in comparison to NBMEs, at least in my experience
Is there another online score estimator that people here use? (no sarcasm, genuinely curious).

Is there another online score estimator that people here use? (no sarcasm, genuinely curious).

wikitestprep for the free 150 and medfriends for free 150/kaplan/mcat.

I think...

(But medfriends and wikitestprep predicts very different things for free 150. Like, more than 10point diff)

i use those formulas out there that predicts a lower score than clinical review. the one im familiar with is 2.44 * score + 70, but there are so many out there..

im the kind of guy who doesnt like to be over confident and clincal review is too good at boosting my ego...

like a 70% on uworld = a 251? give me a break.. haha

Thanks for clarifying this. With the number of questions I was guessing, it did seem like the Clinical Review predicted score was a little too high.

Does Clinical Review also overestimate for the Kaplan Qbank percentage?