At what point do locums agencies "own" you and other pitfalls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to dip my feet in the locums pool in the next year. A common piece of advice I often hear is to not send a locums recruiter your CV as they effectively "own" you at this point and you then cannot work at sites that they present your CV to without going through them. Is there truth in this? Other questions I have:

1) Beyond not sending a recruiter your CV, are there other things one should not do to avoid one of these recruiters "owning" you? Can I verbally negotiate and tell a recruiter what rate and locations I am willing to accept without them claiming me in the future?

2) Are there locums agencies you highly recommend / would rather avoid? Would also appreciate recommendations regarding specific recruiters if you are willing to share. Feel free to PM.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Recruiters don't "own you" until you sign a contract. Just sending them your CV doesn't give them any right to exclusively control your services. As far as I know e-mailing a CV to someone isn't a legally binding contract.

I will often talk to them about rate, and occasionally send a CV but as soon as I find out what they are paying, I say no thanks.