At what point do safeties become a waste of time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmgggee1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am applying this upcoming cycle and wanted a little clarity from people's experience applying with high stats. My own stats are 3.8, 36 mcat, so they are high, but obviously not ridiculous like a 40 mcat etc. I have heard that lower stat schools designate or may designate high stat applicants as low yield and therefore it may be a waste to even apply to them.

Does anyone have any idea at what point a school becomes less of a safety and more of a reach because an applicant's stats are too high? Like should I not apply to lower stat schools like Creighton? I love the mission of some of them, but I am afraid I may be wasting money. Thanks for any help you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

just weigh the potential of wasting $100 on a secondary to the potential of wasting a year of physician salary reapplying

Reactions: 4 users
The best safeties are your state schools if you have any (unless you're from CA). But your stats aren't "too high" for a lot of schools that aren't top tier, you just have to put in some effort of expressing your interest in the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
as long as your application is a strong fit for the mission of the school, it's worth applying. Really consider if you would attend them before applying though.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied with what you call "ridiculous" stats to some safety schools (low stat students, low rank, low reputation) and got in them. I think this "too good for a med school" idea is a bit of a myth.

In addition to my high stats, I also had a good reason behind each school I applied to (besides the usual "because you hand out MD degrees, duh"). I specifically did not apply to some high stat and low stat schools where I didn't think I would be a good fit.

So to answer your question, I think it would be a waste to apply to a safety school if the only reason you are applying is because you will raise their acceptance stats.

Hey guys,

I am applying this upcoming cycle and wanted a little clarity from people's experience applying with high stats. My own stats are 3.8, 36 mcat, so they are high, but obviously not ridiculous like a 40 mcat etc. I have heard that lower stat schools designate or may designate high stat applicants as low yield and therefore it may be a waste to even apply to them.

Does anyone have any idea at what point a school becomes less of a safety and more of a reach because an applicant's stats are too high? Like should I not apply to lower stat schools like Creighton? I love the mission of some of them, but I am afraid I may be wasting money. Thanks for any help you can give.

I think this is a good question! Um, I'd say go with LizzyM and apply +/- 4 (totally arbitrary). For the OOS schools, try to find ones that interview and matriculate high percentages of OOS students. You'll find lists of these all over SDN. Also, it sounds corny, but try to play to your strengths and apply schools with mission statements you truly agree with. I always recommend people apply to at least 20 MD programs no matter how well they've done. One their first acceptance trickles in, they're good to go! While they spent a bit of extra money, I would think it was worth the stress of taking the risk of not applying to safeties.

If you got into only a safety, would you attend or would you be here asking if you should decline the offer and reapply because you are sure you could do better? If you would not want to attend a safety you are applying to then that is too much.

Reactions: 3 users
Safeties are never a waste of time. They may not be as fast as most cornerbacks, but they are typically stronger, and when you need coverage help over the top you'll be glad they're in there.
But sometimes they are a waste of money... like Marcus Gilchrist, and Georgetown. Just ask @Jalby .

Reactions: 4 users
Lets say you are late in the fourth quarter. You are down by 6 points and the other team has 3rd and long on their own two yard line. In this case, if you get a safety, you will be down by four and still need the touchdown to win. But instead of having them punt from their own two yard line where it would be easier to block/get a touchdown and the punt would be under pressure, they will punt from the 35 yard line with no pressure. So really it would be a 30 yard difference if you get the safety or not.

But sometimes they are a waste of money... like Marcus Gilchrist, and Georgetown. Just ask @Jalby .

Looking back, I would still pay the $150 for the secondary just for the story.

Reactions: 3 users
While there's a risk that a lower tier school might take a pass on you, figuring that you're low yield (meaning "mgee could easily get into Harvard, so s/he'll never come here), I think it's worth having a dew, because one may bomb the interviews at Harvard and Yale. In essence, I think it's better to have a downward reach, as opposed to a higher reach.

My school will always take you!

Hey guys,

In the same way that applicants at or below the 10th percentile are unlikely to receive an interview (without some compelling reason), so are those at or above the 90th% .

About as direct an answer you'll get to an incredibly subjective question.