At what point does rank have diminishing returns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tarenthyl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question. At what point in regards to class rank is there diminishing returns? Top 10%, 25%, 1/3? Seems like to keep a high rank it is a ton of work, so trying to decide if I should dedicate more time to board review this second semester and less to my systems classes and potentially let rank go down a bit. My school ranks us 1-125. No top 1/3,1/2, etc, straight up numbers which can be cutthroat.

What say you?

Members don't see this ad.

Question. At what point in regards to class rank is there diminishing returns? Top 10%, 25%, 1/3? Seems like to keep a high rank it is a ton of work, so trying to decide if I should dedicate more time to board review this second semester and less to my systems classes and potentially let rank go down a bit. My school ranks us 1-125. No top 1/3,1/2, etc, straight up numbers which can be cutthroat.

What say you?

I'd say Top 10% for me, at one point some students differ from each other by fractions of a percent.

Last edited:
1) Depends on where you are going to school
2) Depends on what field you're interested in

Without knowing these, I'd say Top 1/3 in the preclinical years keeps your doors open... at least that's the way it worked out for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
whatever gets you to AOA. if your school doesn't have it, I'd suspect more emphasis will be placed on your Step and grades in clerkship. Hardly anyone uses the Dean's letter that much anyway from what I understand.

...although, do you know what they call the guy who graduates last in his medical school class???

potentially, because they still call that guy doctor, so, yes, he could indeed do family medicine in North Dakota if he so chooses. its a nice area of the country, although not if you like being crowded into a city like roaches into a trash can.

as far as class rank, get over yourself.:eyebrow: learn the s***. Don't be a tool and rank yourself based on the guy or girl next to you.

Now, that's assuming everyone in your class is learning the material and there is not a lot of difference between the middle of the class and the bottom--which if the bottom of the class is still passing, there probably isn't.

What say you?

Find out the criteria for AOA at your school. I'm no PD but I'd venture to say that class rank is not that high on their list unless it's really impressive. Kill Step 1 and get mostly/all honors 3rd year and you will be fine as long as your preclinical grades aren't terrible

I don't want this to be a gunner post, I know I'm in the top 10%. I just know itd be easy to drop down this next semester if my focus is the boards. So, I am torn between trying to keep a good rank or crushing the boards. Because doing both is going to be near impossible with the amount of fluff work my school gives us. I know it can sound like a douchey question, so feel free to flame away if you feel the need.

I don't want this to be a gunner post, I know I'm in the top 10%. I just know itd be easy to drop down this next semester if my focus is the boards. So, I am torn between trying to keep a good rank or crushing the boards. Because doing both is going to be near impossible with the amount of fluff work my school gives us. I know it can sound like a douchey question, so feel free to flame away if you feel the need.
the answer to your dilemma is simple. what matters more? class rank or step 1 score? i think the answer is obvious.

Crush the boards 1st. Maximize your time by skipping any class that's not absolutely required.