At what point during medical school did you learn...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GC1000

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Draw blood

Star an IV

Give shots

take blood pressure

What other things do you learn in the first two years of medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, they have little clinics throughout the first two years where you practice these on dummies or your classmates. You will really get learn how to do this depending on your FM/IM/peds rotations. For instance, I had a FM rotation where I had to take everyone's blood. Not because I'm a vampire. Giving shots? Also FM. Taking BP? IM.

If you want to learn more, there's always Youtube.

Draw blood - NEVER

Start an IV - Once in med school, once in residency, have never done it again. The nurses/ EMT's are better at it than me.

Give shots - Residency

take blood pressure - knew that before med school

One thing I wish I knew better was different heart sounds and different lung sounds. I always worry that I'm missing something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Draw blood
Star an IV
Give shots
take blood pressure

These are mostly nursing skills, but you'll still pick them up along the way and sometimes expected to be able to do them better than a nurse with years of experience. The cool procedures IMO are central lines, arterial lines, lumbar punctures, intubation, thoracentesis, etc. Some of which you may get to do / help with in medical school but most not until residency.

These are mostly nursing skills, but you'll still pick them up along the way and sometimes expected to be able to do them better than a nurse with years of experience. The cool procedures IMO are central lines, arterial lines, lumbar punctures, intubation, thoracentesis, etc. Some of which you may get to do / help with in medical school but most not until residency.

Sometimes I read on here about M3 and M4 students doing the central and arterial lines, is it normal to do those. I think it would be neat actually get to do these, but is that normal? Maybe it just depends if your clinical site allowed medical students to do them?

Draw blood - first year

Star an IV - first year

Give shots - first year

take blood pressure- first year

Sometimes I read on here about M3 and M4 students doing the central and arterial lines, is it normal to do those. I think it would be neat actually get to do these, but is that normal? Maybe it just depends if your clinical site allowed medical students to do them?

It depends on your rotation. If you want to put in a lot of lines, I'd recommend doing an anesthesia rotation and/or an ICU rotation ( make sure the ICU is run by anesthesiologists). I put in roughly 10 lines as a med student.

Many of the medicine residents where I am do not really know how to put in a central line or, even, intubate someone. They page anesthesia or surgery to get them to do it, so don't feel bad if you don't know how to do it as a med student.

I think that's rotation dependent. If you are on a rotation where residents needs procedures, it goes to them. Depending on their logs, you may get to do extras. However, I have friends that have been on rotations with no residents that have gotten to put in lines. Your mileage may very.

We learned BP's during clinical skills course first year. The other stuff we covered over the summer between 2nd and 3rd year. I've drawn blood maybe a total of 4 times, same for IM injections. I hope to never do either again.
Peripheral IV is a useful skill though the nurses are usually better at them. I have done quite a few EJ's or ultrasound guided in basilic vein though when nurses couldn't get anything.

As for students doing more advanced procedures, I know a lot of folks who didn't do any independently or only did a couple. I was fortunate and was able to get into double digits for central lines and intubations most all in 4th year. Had a handful of arterial lines, thoracenteses, and one transvenous pacer (didn't do that one all on my own.) Got to help with a couple of chest tubes but didn't actually do any myself. I think it just depends on your school, what rotations you do and how willing you are to jump in there and do the stuff. Time of year can make a difference as well. Doing EM late in 3rd year meant the interns weren't fighting me for every procedure so I got to do a lot more. ICU during the peak of killer flu season meant tons of super sick people and more than enough procedures for 2 residents and myself.

Last edited:
a lot of students learn to give prostate exams and genitourinary exams during 1st year.

in addition to the above, i learned how to give a complete physical exam and neuro exam.

Draw blood

Star an IV

Give shots

take blood pressure

My peds rotation 3rd year. It was in one of our urban centers where we are 100% responsible for the patient except check in and check out. AKA, we're gonna work you to the bone.

I learned central lines as a forth year during my anesthesia rotation. My attending only did open heart cases so every case got a central line after they were asleep and I got to do most of them after the patient was out.