• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

thingerser

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi all! I'm new to this forum!

I just received my MCAT score from the 3/24 test: 36P (13 PS 9 VR 14 BS)

While I realize that this is a good score, the uneven-ness of the sections worries me a little (The science sections were on par with my practice tests, but the verbal was an average of 2 points lower). I don't believe that I am in this situation, but I figured I'd ask anyway: At what point would I want to consider a retake because of section differentiation? I am interested in top 20 medical schools, and I believe the other areas of my application are up to par.

Thanks in advance! :)

RedSox10

5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Talk about unevenness is garbage. A 9 is fine and respectable and NO school will turn down because of your MCAT score (they might turn you down for other reasons though). When people talk about unevenness its genrally because they have a 6,7,or 8 and even and 8 is salvageable. Dont retake.

thingerser

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Ah. sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

I wasn't planning on a retake, but I just wanted to ask because it seems like the collective wisdom here knows far better than I do :p. Thanks for the advice!

About the Ads

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
When one score is considered bad. For instance, if you got a 6 in a section, you should retake.

My goal is to get a 40 on my mcat and have a 14 14 12 and make a thread about it on SDN and be like "OMG UNBALANCED SCORES RETAKE??!!".

Im really not trying to be an ******* but when you ask questions like these it's like a millionaire going up to a hobo and saying "HEY I HAVE A MILLION DOLLARS, SHOULD I GET MORE MONEY?"

fas376

Jul 28, 2011
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My goal is to get a 40 on my mcat and have a 14 14 12 and make a thread about it on SDN and be like "OMG UNBALANCED SCORES RETAKE??!!".

Im really not trying to be an ******* but when you ask questions like these it's like a millionaire going up to a hobo and saying "HEY I HAVE A MILLION DOLLARS, SHOULD I GET MORE MONEY?"

Hey man, even though you got a 40, that 12 is really going to hurt you.

I'd apply to DO, puerto rico, and the caribbeans

kryptonian

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Uneveness means something like 13/6/14. Any subsection score that's 8 or above is awesome. For your reference, A LOT of people on this forum are dying to get an 8 on the Verbal. You have a 9 and your composite is 36. You should feel happy about it and go party.

thingerser

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thank you all again for the serious responses. I was legitimately curious, and I have nothing to gain by bragging on an ANONYMOUS forum. Calm down people.. dear..

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
WV
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thank you all again for the serious responses. I was legitimately curious, and I have nothing to gain by bragging on an ANONYMOUS forum. Calm down people.. dear..

Don't worry, we're all a bit psychotic.

I just received my MCAT score from the 3/24 test: 36P (13 PS 9 VR 14 BS)

I'm hoping to get a 9 on the exam in VR...so congrats. How did you find the verbal section compared to the AAMC practice exams?

About the Ads

thingerser

Apr 24, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I found it very comparable to all of the practice tests despite scoring lower. I didn't really notice a difference. I guess I just got unlucky on the actual test. Practice is key!

Good luck!

typicalindian

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I found it very comparable to all of the practice tests despite scoring lower. I didn't really notice a difference. I guess I just got unlucky on the actual test. Practice is key!

Good luck!

Thanks. Good luck on applications, your mcat is great :thumbup:

IncognitoGuy

life of leisure
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Don't worry about the sarcasm. More serious trolls have come through here with the same question.

A 36 is great, especially with high science subscores. Would a more balanced score look appealing? Sure, but it's not worth risking scoring lower than a 36, especially when the only thing holding you back is a 9 in verbal.

Good work!

railgun

7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Just as an FYI for people that don't look at stickies but wonder about retaking, look at the first sticky in this forum.

railgun

7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.