At what point is it worth retaking an uneven MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thingerser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to this forum!

I just received my MCAT score from the 3/24 test: 36P (13 PS 9 VR 14 BS)

While I realize that this is a good score, the uneven-ness of the sections worries me a little (The science sections were on par with my practice tests, but the verbal was an average of 2 points lower). I don't believe that I am in this situation, but I figured I'd ask anyway: At what point would I want to consider a retake because of section differentiation? I am interested in top 20 medical schools, and I believe the other areas of my application are up to par.

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Talk about unevenness is garbage. A 9 is fine and respectable and NO school will turn down because of your MCAT score (they might turn you down for other reasons though). When people talk about unevenness its genrally because they have a 6,7,or 8 and even and 8 is salvageable. Dont retake.

Ah. sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

I wasn't planning on a retake, but I just wanted to ask because it seems like the collective wisdom here knows far better than I do :p. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
In other words. Do not retake. You got a good score. Now sit back and relax and be happy you did well!

My goal is to get a 40 on my mcat and have a 14 14 12 and make a thread about it on SDN and be like "OMG UNBALANCED SCORES RETAKE??!!".

Im really not trying to be an ******* but when you ask questions like these it's like a millionaire going up to a hobo and saying "HEY I HAVE A MILLION DOLLARS, SHOULD I GET MORE MONEY?"

I promise you that if you retake, your science scores will go down. It's not an opinion, it's statistics.

My goal is to get a 40 on my mcat and have a 14 14 12 and make a thread about it on SDN and be like "OMG UNBALANCED SCORES RETAKE??!!".

Im really not trying to be an ******* but when you ask questions like these it's like a millionaire going up to a hobo and saying "HEY I HAVE A MILLION DOLLARS, SHOULD I GET MORE MONEY?"

Hey man, even though you got a 40, that 12 is really going to hurt you.

I'd apply to DO, puerto rico, and the caribbeans

Uneveness means something like 13/6/14. Any subsection score that's 8 or above is awesome. For your reference, A LOT of people on this forum are dying to get an 8 on the Verbal. You have a 9 and your composite is 36. You should feel happy about it and go party.

Thank you all again for the serious responses. I was legitimately curious, and I have nothing to gain by bragging on an ANONYMOUS forum. Calm down people.. dear..

Thank you all again for the serious responses. I was legitimately curious, and I have nothing to gain by bragging on an ANONYMOUS forum. Calm down people.. dear..

Don't worry, we're all a bit psychotic.

I just received my MCAT score from the 3/24 test: 36P (13 PS 9 VR 14 BS)

I'm hoping to get a 9 on the exam in VR...so congrats. How did you find the verbal section compared to the AAMC practice exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
I found it very comparable to all of the practice tests despite scoring lower. I didn't really notice a difference. I guess I just got unlucky on the actual test. Practice is key!

Good luck!

I found it very comparable to all of the practice tests despite scoring lower. I didn't really notice a difference. I guess I just got unlucky on the actual test. Practice is key!

Good luck!

Thanks. Good luck on applications, your mcat is great :thumbup:

yet that doesnt stop many people on here from doing it anyways.

go have sex and get drunk you made a 36

Don't worry about the sarcasm. More serious trolls have come through here with the same question.

A 36 is great, especially with high science subscores. Would a more balanced score look appealing? Sure, but it's not worth risking scoring lower than a 36, especially when the only thing holding you back is a 9 in verbal.

Good work!

Just as an FYI for people that don't look at stickies but wonder about retaking, look at the first sticky in this forum.