At what point would you give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemc2000

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many years would you keep trying? I don't know how many more times I am willing to go through this. I don't know what else I can do to prove I am worthy of these schools. I've increased my gpa about as far as I am able without commiting identity theft and starting over. I will have completed my BS by this July. I have great LORs and ECs. I am working in a pharmacy and in fact got my CPht after only being there a couple months. I'm not ready to give up, ( I haven't received any letters yet), but I am really hoping I don't have to do this again next year.
:(

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, how old are you? If you are just getting your bachelors degree, you can't be that much old. If you are older and it took you longer to get your degree, you came this far, why give up? What else can you do? Get a Masters degree in a science field. It would look so much more competitive, especially with a high GPA in that. They do look at undergrad grades, but they also look at your graduate GPA. Or you can go back and take all the prereqs over and apply to a school that does academic forgiveness. Like USN, they would only count the most recent 5 years. With that atleast you can work and make descent money and continue for pharmacy school. If this is really what you want to do for the rest of your life, my advice is to keep on trying. If you are willing to give this up, then you really didn't want to do it in the first place. But hey, hang in there you never know. The admissions process is not over yet. Believe me, I am in your same position so I totally understand, but this is all I want to do. Good luck

pAwSN said:
First of all, how old are you? Or you can go back and take all the prereqs over and apply to a school that does academic forgiveness. Like USN, they would only count the most recent 5 years.

I am 41. And neither of the 2 schools I can apply to do academic forgiveness.

It is not a matter of giving up means I don't want to do it. I just have to decide at what point I am beating a dead horse.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that this advice might sound a lot like an after school special, but don't give up. I think we have all been in a position, at some point in our lives, that we have wanted to give up on something. Think of it this way, say you stick with it, apply next year, and get in. You would look back on all of this worrying and probably be very thankfull that you didn't give up. Life doesn't always go the way we want it to, but its how you act in times of adversity that truely defines your character. My mother went through nursing school while raising two children and working. She would tell me of how there were days that she just wanted to give up. Those tough times just make her appreciate how lucky she is to have made it through. Nothing worth having is easy so hang in there and keep working on it. Hard work does pay off.

It can be frustrating, but anything worth having is worth fighting/working for. Let Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill inspire you. You'll get there in due time.

I empathize with you jemc2000. I do not know how long i can keep this going, as well. I have no back-up plan. I thought this was it. By the end of this semester, i will be finished with all my pre-requisites. I am volunteering at an outpatient clinic currently, and am perplexed as to what else I should do to boost my application. I have spent 1.5 years repeating courses, trying to undo my less than stellar undergrad work. But I will be leaning on the adage of persistence eventually paying off.

hey michele,

don't worry, don't give up. when did apply and for what schools? i finished my whole application in september, my gpa is 2.94 i got something for an interview so don't give up!!!! :luck:

Hi Michele,

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any letters, yet. You got your GPA up to UF's minimum for last year and now they've raised the bar again. You still may get in, so don't give up.

I'm surprised that Creighton hasn't sent you anything, either.

If you don't get in this time, try next year. I'll be 50 when I graduate, so you'd still be younger than me.

jemc2000 said:
How many years would you keep trying? I don't know how many more times I am willing to go through this. I don't know what else I can do to prove I am worthy of these schools. I've increased my gpa about as far as I am able without commiting identity theft and starting over. I will have completed my BS by this July. I have great LORs and ECs. I am working in a pharmacy and in fact got my CPht after only being there a couple months. I'm not ready to give up, ( I haven't received any letters yet), but I am really hoping I don't have to do this again next year.

In 2001 I was involved in a serious skydiving accident that mangled my lower right leg. I had to undergo four surgeries and feared that they might have to amputate my leg below the knee. I had bolts and pins drilled into and through my bones. I could not walk for Two Years. There were many days when I wanted to quit. I wanted to give up.

...but I didn't do any of those things. Instead, I fought. I fought for my leg. I fought to walk again. And I fought by going back to school. Every day I wake up with an indomitable spirit to be the best person I possibly can. I strive for dreams that seem unattainable.

You Have What It Takes To Accomplish Your Dreams! There is a seed of Hope and Faith somewhere inside of you that you need to find now.

No one said that life is easy. Every human being walking on the face of this earth can attest to that. But it is the struggles that we face in life that make the successes that much sweeter.

These are the times that we need to lean on friends and family. They are there to share our joy when we are up and they are there to pick us up and dust us off all the rest of the time.

In answering your question, I believe Sir Winston Churchill said it best when he said, "Never, Ever, Ever, Ever Give Up!"

Chris

jemc2000 said:

I would also like to tell you that you should not give up no matter what happens. This is your dream and go after it with all that you've got.

Defeat is not defeat unless accepted as a reality-in your
own mind.
- Bruce Lee

DONT GIVE UP!!! U ARE 41, VERY YOUNG!!! u are pimping when u are a pharmacist!! lots of women will be around you =)

Keep your chin up, Michele

I know you have been focusing on FL out of necessity, but I'm an older married student (no kids though) with NO pharmacy program near me at all. I will be moving several hundred miles away, husband coming along with me. We have to sell or rent our home here because we definately can't afford to pay for two residences. Hubby will have to find a new job wherever we go and this has been both exciting and stressful. Talk about a huge commitment, I feel like we are getting in the covered wagon and heading west,or somthing :laugh: I know it would be even crazier with kids in the picture, but if you want it you will find a way, even if it means leaving Florida. :thumbup: You're in a unique situation down there, much like CA the competition is tougher there. Keep trying there and if it doesn't work, consider applying elsewhere and be willing to move. It seems impossible but you can do it. If this is what you want you SHOULD do it if there's no other way :luck:

wow, all the replies are very helpful..You're guys are soo great!!! :) Like Michelle, sometimes I have doubts, don't know how long, how many times that I have to try....Sometimes I doubt myself, like I'm not good enough...But I understand that each of us faces different situation..Some people got in at 1st time, but others may take 3, 4 times or more than that to get in...I finished my Biology degree last May and waiting for my good news....If and only if nothing turn out positively, I'll need to go back for my M.S and reapply again...Last year, I applied for both Midwesterns and got rejected right away..But this year, I already had both interviews and on alternate list right now...So yeah, which means that there is still hope....

Michelle, just have patience and see, this cycle is NOt ended yet...I understand it's hard to deal with b/c I'm going through exact same thing... :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
WorcesterPHOBoy said:
DONT GIVE UP!!! U ARE 41, VERY YOUNG!!! u are pimping when u are a pharmacist!! lots of women will be around you =)

While I agree with you that 41 is young, I am not sure why she would care if she was "pimping" or if "lots of women" would be around her. :confused:

Michele,

Please don't give up on your dreams. When times are tough with school, family and just life in general I look to my precious son to give me that added boost to continue on. :)

I appreciate all the support from you guys. I haven't given up, I just don't have a back up plan for the next year, and not having a plan worries me.

Not really interested in "getting women", but whatever. :scared:

As for moving, it is not an option. My divorce states that if either of us move out of the city, the other parent gets sole custody. My dream is not worth losing my children over.

jemc2000 said:
My divorce states that if either of us move out of the city, the other parent gets sole custody. My dream is not worth losing my children over.
That blows :thumbdown: .

Have you thought about working in research? As a chemist you can make a descent living. then continue to work on a masters or pHD. you make pretty good money as a senior chemist with like a masters. about as much as a pharmD and sometimes even more. Do what you gotta do but if you still want to go to pharmacy school...don't give up?Ever seen the poster with the frog that got swallowed by a seagull who had his hands reached out from the mouth and choking the damn thing? Never give up! ...my motto.

jemc2000 said:

I feel that you may need to change your approach. Since you in FL, you know that every spot is heavily sought out for. Do you have to live in FL to do Pharmacy School? If you go to another state and especially a private school (because they have no threshold on admitting out of state residents), you chances will be better. Although I dont know facts here, probably in FL for every seat there is a gazillion applicants. But in Wyoming or Alaska, I seriously doubt it.

I dont want to be too harsh but I also dont want to be too wishy washy either. You are 41 which isn't ancient, but you are getting up there. If you were 21, you would have time on your side. You have a lot more responsibility (bills to pay that dont wait and that can't be paid by your parents) so every year that you can't get into Pharmacy School is tremendous.

If this is really what you want to do, you have to be prepared to move to a less populated area to get this done. My dear, FL will always be competitive and that just comes with the territory.

Also, you know that pharmacies could care less whether you get your Pharmacy Degree from the Harvard of Pharmacy Schools (dont know if Harvard offers it or not but you get the gist) or the easiest Pharmacy School in the nation. Pharmacies are always looking for pharmacists just as hospitals are always looking for nurses.

Plan of attack for you: Go to any place that accepts you, forget FL schools!

TennisBoy78 said:
I feel that you may need to change your approach. Since you in FL, you know that every spot is heavily sought out for. Do you have to live in FL to do Pharmacy School? If you go to another state and especially a private school (because they have no threshold on admitting out of state residents), you chances will be better. Although I dont know facts here, probably in FL for every seat there is a gazillion applicants. But in Wyoming or Alaska, I seriously doubt it.

I dont want to be too harsh but I also dont want to be too wishy washy either. You are 41 which isn't ancient, but you are getting up there. If you were 21, you would have time on your side. You have a lot more responsibility (bills to pay that dont wait and that can't be paid by your parents) so every year that you can't get into Pharmacy School is tremendous.

If this is really what you want to do, you have to be prepared to move to a less populated area to get this done. My dear, FL will always be competitive and that just comes with the territory.

Also, you know that pharmacies could care less whether you get your Pharmacy Degree from the Harvard of Pharmacy Schools (dont know if Harvard offers it or not but you get the gist) or the easiest Pharmacy School in the nation. Pharmacies are always looking for pharmacists just as hospitals are always looking for nurses.

Plan of attack for you: Go to any place that accepts you, forget FL schools!

Her last post states that she cannot move. Perhaps you didn't see it. ;)

jemc2000 said:

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!

FutureRxGal said:
Her last post states that she cannot move. Perhaps you didn't see it. ;)

Wow, if she can't move, she should maybe focus on internet schools. I wouldn't do it, but some people do. Thank god I'm not in her position, but I empathize with her.

If she can't get into FL schools this year, she probably wont ever. There are gobs and gobs of people there, and it wouldn't be realistic for her. This is just my opinion of course, but it seems like she has to do something to adjust her position, and reapplying to the same schools is not the answer. When you apply to schools in big states like CA, NY, FL, etc, you ask for your application to be scrutinized in every possible way.

I was raised in a small state in the Deep South, and I can tell you that although I've lived in different places across the US, I sincerely think that reputation of schools are overemphasized. Schools should be ranked, but a school in the Northeast or in California earns its reputation almost automatically. There are one billion applications to the known schools there. Yes, the people are more intelligent (nerds), but are they better adjusted? Some are, some not. Just because someone has a degree from some stuck-up $40k a year tuition school does not mean that they are any better than all of us normal people from the South.

Getting back to the point, every FL school is difficult to get into. Frankly, I wouldn't feel safe if I was applying there even if I had a 4.0 GPA and the highest possible PCAT score, LORs, and pharmacy experience. Simply put, when you are one out of a million applications, your application is simply relegated to a number. These schools would not really take into account other factors. It is to her advantage to apply to a school less popular, no matter what she would have to sacrifice (that being she really wants to become a pharmacist).

TennisBoy78 said:
Wow, if she can't move, she should maybe focus on internet schools. I wouldn't do it, but some people do. Thank god I'm not in her position, but I empathize with her.

If she can't get into FL schools this year, she probably wont ever. There are gobs and gobs of people there, and it wouldn't be realistic for her. This is just my opinion of course, but it seems like she has to do something to adjust her position, and reapplying to the same schools is not the answer. When you apply to schools in big states like CA, NY, FL, etc, you ask for your application to be scrutinized in every possible way.

I was raised in a small state in the Deep South, and I can tell you that although I've lived in different places across the US, I sincerely think that reputation of schools are overemphasized. Schools should be ranked, but a school in the Northeast or in California earns its reputation almost automatically. There are one billion applications to the known schools there. Yes, the people are more intelligent (nerds), but are they better adjusted? Some are, some not. Just because someone has a degree from some stuck-up $40k a year tuition school does not mean that they are any better than all of us normal people from the South.

Getting back to the point, every FL school is difficult to get into. Frankly, I wouldn't feel safe if I was applying there even if I had a 4.0 GPA and the highest possible PCAT score, LORs, and pharmacy experience. Simply put, when you are one out of a million applications, your application is simply relegated to a number. These schools would not really take into account other factors. It is to her advantage to apply to a school less popular, no matter what she would have to sacrifice (that being she really wants to become a pharmacist).
wow you annoy me....

i'm sorry i agree no job is worth sacrificing your children.

don't give up michele... my vote is to keep your chin up, if you don't get in this year try again...
in the mean time see if you can find other things you may want to do

i'm not usually one to give all that much encouragement on here... but what the heck.. you are younger than the oldest guy in my class (i believe he's late 50s)

keep trying

TennisBoy78 said:

Do you have kids?

I don't have any kids, either, but I don't think that there is anything that can be put above them...at least, that is what I have seen out of my friends who have them.

Rxbound said:
I don't have any kids, either, but I don't think that there is anything that can be put above them...at least, that is what I have seen out of my friends who have them.
You are right! Hopefully this person does not have kids (although NOTHING surprises me anymore about parents nowadays!)

She said she would lose her kids if she moved.

Michele, I think your best bet is to focus all your efforts to get into Creighton's web-based program. I assume you already applied there this year and past years, but have you talked with Creighton to see specifically what you can do to improve your app? I understand that you've already done everything you can for your GPA, but maybe if you talk to them (and I assume that maybe you haven't yet), they will tell you what they like to see... it is my understanding that most schools will talk to you about this at the end of the cycle if you ask. (Am I wrong? If so, let me know, all you people who are more experienced! I know this is the case for med school.) At the very least, they will know that you really really want to get in there and will be aware that you are constantly trying to improve your app.

Guys and gals, I agree with you on the premise that having kids is a challenge and she should be commended for trying to do Pharmacy School. However, I tend to be a realist, not a romantic.

There are two clear things that are going against this woman. I have no idea what her GPA or PCAT score is because she has not stated so, nor do I know if this is her first, second, third, fourth, or whatever time (year) she has applied. What she has stated is that it would be difficult for her to improve her credentials significantly (seems like she will admit to this), so telling her that she should continue to hope for something that currently is not there for her may never be there for her either. But no one know how many times she has tried, so we are all guessing on that.

The second thing going against her is geographics. Unfortunately she lives in one of the most populous states in the US, and slots there are amplified. She should be commended that she has children, but if someone else has better scores (and being in a populous state, you wouldn't have to go far), it would be difficult for those schools to deny them.

If this woman chooses a smaller school, perhaps one with less competition, her chances would be much better. Smaller schools will take other factors into account because they receive fewer applications, while the megopolis schools are under time constraints, so they tend to quantify students (identify them through PCAT scores/GPA).

Believe me, if I were on the admissions committee, I would definitely give this lady an interview and make a strong argument to the committee to give this woman a chance at Pharmacy School.

Just because her situation is unique does not give her a right to go anywhere. Don't bite my head off, but put yourself in the shoes of the admissions committee. Is the probability that she completes Pharmacy School better or worse since she has a bundle of other commitments? That is a risk, because a qualified young student with no commitments would have a better chance of completion.

My mother completed Nursing School while she had three kids in elementary/middle/and high school (one of each). It was definitely difficult, but she did it and I know that this lady can too. But Pharmacy School is much more competitive than Nursing School (probably not even comparable), and admitting one person to Pharmacy School means denying someone else.

Simply, a smaller school would give her situation more credence. She should use that to her advantage and stop spinning her wheels at schools that are just too competitive. She can always move her family (her husband could take a job somewhere else if it was necessary). This is an extremely difficult decision that only she will have to make (none of us will). I'm just trying to expand her thinking and not reiterating encouragement that she can find in 99 percent of the population.

In any event, I DO want this woman to succeed.

TennisBoy78 said:
Simply, a smaller school would give her situation more credence. She should use that to her advantage and stop spinning her wheels at schools that are just too competitive. She can always move her family (her husband could take a job somewhere else if it was necessary). This is an extremely difficult decision that only she will have to make (none of us will). I'm just trying to expand her thinking and not reiterating encouragement that she can find in 99 percent of the population.

I will give you credit for trying to help.
You aren't coming off as very helpful, though.
Here's the number one reason:

MOVING IS NOT AN OPTION FOR HER!!!

She has stated that she is divorced and will have to give up custody of her children to her ex-husband if she leaves her current city of residence.

You lose all credibility when it becomes obvious (and your above quoted paragraph makes it abundantly clear that this is the case) that you either haven't fully read her posts or haven't bothered to understand the crux of her problem. As such, any advice you might proffer seems ill-conceived, and frankly - not helpful.

TennisBoy78 said:
Guys and gals, I agree with you on the premise that having kids is a challenge and she should be commended for trying to do Pharmacy School. However, I tend to be a realist, not a romantic.

There are two clear things that are going against this woman. I have no idea what her GPA or PCAT score is because she has not stated so, nor do I know if this is her first, second, third, fourth, or whatever time (year) she has applied. What she has stated is that it would be difficult for her to improve her credentials significantly (seems like she will admit to this), so telling her that she should continue to hope for something that currently is not there for her may never be there for her either. But no one know how many times she has tried, so we are all guessing on that.

The second thing going against her is geographics. Unfortunately she lives in one of the most populous states in the US, and slots there are amplified. She should be commended that she has children, but if someone else has better scores (and being in a populous state, you wouldn't have to go far), it would be difficult for those schools to deny them.

If this woman chooses a smaller school, perhaps one with less competition, her chances would be much better. Smaller schools will take other factors into account because they receive fewer applications, while the megopolis schools are under time constraints, so they tend to quantify students (identify them through PCAT scores/GPA).

Believe me, if I were on the admissions committee, I would definitely give this lady an interview and make a strong argument to the committee to give this woman a chance at Pharmacy School.

Just because her situation is unique does not give her a right to go anywhere. Don't bite my head off, but put yourself in the shoes of the admissions committee. Is the probability that she completes Pharmacy School better or worse since she has a bundle of other commitments? That is a risk, because a qualified young student with no commitments would have a better chance of completion.

My mother completed Nursing School while she had three kids in elementary/middle/and high school (one of each). It was definitely difficult, but she did it and I know that this lady can too. But Pharmacy School is much more competitive than Nursing School (probably not even comparable), and admitting one person to Pharmacy School means denying someone else.

In any event, I DO want this woman to succeed.

What do you mean her husband can take another job? She is divorced! She will lose custody of her kids if she moves. Read her post again please.

I agree with starsweet and try with Creighton, but I think that online program is no cakewalk to get into.

Smilescali, you're right, I'm having enough problems getting in Creighton myself! Talk about being anal with credit hours!

But anyway, Michele, I think that if you really want to go to pharmacy school as much as you ALSO need to stay with your family in FL, the only way to do it is to focus all your efforts on Creighton. This is the only way you can have both... just trying to be realistic.

TennisBoy78 said:
Is the probability that she completes Pharmacy School better or worse since she has a bundle of other commitments? That is a risk, because a qualified young student with no commitments would have a better chance of completion.

This is a bunch of crap.

Attrition rates for professional programs are low across the board to begin with. For traditional and non-traditional students.

If she gets into pharmacy school she will finish because she has so much riding on it.

Those of us with families and children know that it isn't just about us and will work that much harder, for ourselves and our loved ones.

Of course, I'm biased because I am also a mother.

I apologize and concede. She would lose custody if she leaves the city. That is a terrible factor in this. This would pretty much limit her selection to the schools in her proximity.

This leaves one of two options:

(1) Internet Pharmacy Programs

(2) Find out EXACTLY what you need to do to get in. Although this local Pharmacy School may not be able to offer this information, present your case to them until everyone in the committee knows her name and situation. Most students without family commitments can apply anywhere. She cannot. So she would have to make that school realize that. By simply applying and not speaking to the admissions committee personally is not getting her anywhere. She will have to do more. (I am just speculating this because she has not offered any information as to how much contact or information (access) she has gained from this Pharmacy School.

Better to know the truth about your chances upfront than to keep praying about it. What has this school said about your chances?

Agree with me or not? I am only trying to help.

All4MyDaughter said:
This is a bunch of crap.

Attrition rates for professional programs are low across the board to begin with. For traditional and non-traditional students.

If she gets into pharmacy school she will finish because she has so much riding on it.

Those of us with families and children know that it isn't just about us and will work that much harder, for ourselves and our loved ones.

Of course, I'm biased because I am also a mother.

All4MyDaughter,

You are so right! Additionally, people with kids have most likely matured and they have more life experiences than someone who is much younger without kids ( I know I have). Being a parent is a huge sacrifice and it involves mastering the art of time mangement and multi-tasking. Adcoms are smart and they know this (especially if they are parents themselves!) It is true that just because you have kids you should not receive special treatment for admissions, but if anything it would help your application rather than hinder it.

I'm sorry, but all I was trying to say is that the probability of completing Pharmacy School when there are other commitments for a person on the table, the odds are NOT as favorable.

One question to ask all of you mothers (and I commend you all) -

What comes first, your kids or your school?

To everyone single, one question:

What comes first, your school or your partying?

That is a very unfair question(s) because in the first (to mothers), no one like to be put in that situation. In the second question (to single people), what in the heck is the value of partying?

My Mom got through Nursing School with three kids of different ages and it was very difficult. Believe me, she was determined and I am sure that all of you will be. But she did know of so many other students in her situation that did not get through it. And again, Nursing School is not nearly as competitive as Pharmacy School. Also, pharmacy is much more difficult. Pharmacy students are much brighter than Nursing Students (typically), so stating that mothers will do better than younger people is forgetting the fact that Pharmacy students are not like your typical college students.

From being mothers, I know you can testify that you have had to take off work or school (unless your kids never had anything ever happen to them) in the past and of course you should not regret this. But if you had to do this in Pharmacy School, it would not help you (may not hurt you either, but it can't help you). This is what the admission committee may be faced with.

Nursing Programs are a dime a dozen. Pharmacy Programs are not.

Your thoughts.

TennisBoy78 said:

my partying

and i've accomplished a lot b/c of it

bbmuffin said:
my partying

and i've accomplished a lot b/c of it

Well, there always has to be at least one smarta** of the bunch.

Now, isn't it good to party after that all so important test? Having things happen to kids could happen anytime, including the day/night before that test.

TennisBoy78 said:
I'm sorry, but all I was trying to say is that the probability of completing Pharmacy School when there are other commitments for a person on the table, the odds are NOT as favorable.

One question to ask all of you mothers (and I commend you all) -

That is a very unfair question(s) because in the first (to mothers), no one like to be put in that situation. In the second question (to single people), what in the heck is the value of partying?

My Mom got through Nursing School with three kids of different ages and it was very difficult. Believe me, she was determined and I am sure that all of you will be. But she did know of so many other students in her situation that did not get through it. And again, Nursing School is not nearly as competitive as Pharmacy School. Also, pharmacy is much more difficult. Pharmacy students are much brighter than Nursing Students (typically), so stating that mothers will do better than younger people is forgetting the fact that Pharmacy students are not like your typical college students.

From being mothers, I know you can testify that you have had to take off work or school (unless your kids never had anything ever happen to them) in the past and of course you should not regret this. But if you had to do this in Pharmacy School, it would not help you (may not hurt you either, but it can't help you). This is what the admission committee may be faced with.

Nursing Programs are a dime a dozen. Pharmacy Programs are not.

Your thoughts.

If you think single people are immune to distractions or other commitments you are very wrong. Whether it is your children or partying or dating drama etc.. we ALL have other commitments. I will concede that mothers have a double duty vs. people without kids, but we know how to handle it and have already adapted to this at every level of our lives.

I was asked about how I am going to handle graduate school with kids at my interview and I said, " Well, I have managed to maintain a 4.0 GPA, co-run my own business with my husband and still be a dedicated mother and wife. I will hire someone to help me with my half of the business and lean on my support network of my husband, my mother and my mother-in-law." They seemed very impressed with this. Especially when they see others that have a much lower GPA than me that do not have half of the "distractions" I have.

Another thing I noticed is that in all of my classes, it is the people that have kids and who are older that excel in the classes and receive the highest grades. Hmmm maybe it is the single people that are in fact choosing to party? Your thoughts?

TennisBoy78 said:

My life's priorities:

1. My marriage/relationship with my husband
2. My daughter
3. School and work

It is possible to do well in all three, but it takes some work.

Of course there are going to be times when I have to let some school/work stuff slide because my daughter needs me. I don't plan on trying for straight A's in pharmacy school. I probably won't join a lot of clubs or organizations. I don't drink or party. Will I miss out on some of the pharmacy school "experience"? Probably. Will it hurt my career? Not likely. I already have a good job lined up when I graduate, if I want it.

I've got lots of support lined up, which I think is essential. Number 1, my husband is AWESOME. Two, we've got family in the area: my mother, her wife, his mother, his father, our siblings, etc. Three, my BFF is going to help with picking up my daughter and keeping her on evenings my husband is going to work late.

I think my status as a wife and mother actually allowed me to connect with some of the admission committee members in a way that younger students couldn't. For one, many of them have children themselves and understand the challenges of balancing career and family. Additionally, they could see that I know what I'm getting into and have made arrangements for the support I need to succeed in school and in life.

TennisBoy78 said:
Well, there always has to be at least one smarta** of the bunch.

Now, isn't it good to party after that all so important test? Having things happen to kids could happen anytime, including the day/night before that test.
you'd be surprised at how serious i am

I commend all of you Moms for being so great, because I know that you are doing this for a much greater purpose than single people (at least at the present time). Not all of us single people will be so forever (gosh, wouldn't life be so much easier without these decisions)

You must admit that you are Moms in the minority. Saying this, I also think you should say that singles who party are as well, especially if they are choosing Pharmacy over some other easy major in comparison, because there is more at stake in Pharmacy than let's say a BA in whatever Ology (I say Dreamology, and yes, I have one of those dumb degrees, and am trying to make up for it now)

Everyone's situation is different. I applaud your commitment and hope to see you in my classes (if I ever get there).

Back to the topic: This lady should fight as hard as she can to get in, and if she fails, she should not do so silently. Can you agree with me in the fact that she should do more than applying and waiting for a response without doing anything more? She has not offered any other information, but I believe that if she did PERSONALLY talk to admissions, she would have the COMPLETE story as to her chances of gaining admission. Period.

PS-We are not the admissions committee and have no bearing in this matter. We can support her, but we need to offer more of a suggestion than just "I hear you, I feel your pain, try harder, don't give up." This lady needs to make the admissions committee know who she is IN PERSON. Otherwise, applying for the second time is just like playing the lottery for another week.

Your comments (Are my arguments getting a little better - this lady needs some constructive answers, not a pity party)

TennisBoy78 said:
Back to the topic: This lady should fight as hard as she can to get in, and if she fails, she should not do so silently. Can you agree with me in the fact that she should do more than applying and waiting for a response without doing anything more? She has not offered any other information, but I believe that if she did PERSONALLY talk to admissions, she would have the COMPLETE story as to her chances of gaining admission. Period.

I agree. Set up a meeting with the school.

When I decided to apply to Kentucky I made an appointment with the pre-pharmacy advisor, took my transcripts, resume, etc. and asked her for her honest assessment of my chances and what else I needed to do.

We came up with a semester by semester schedule of how I would do the pre-reqs, when I would take the PCAT, etc. I also got advice about shadowing, etc.

During the application process I would email her and ask questions about things I was unsure about. I asked her advice about what should go in my personal statement (her advice was very surprising) and checked in with her to make sure that things I was snail mailing to the school were getting there. When I walked into my interview we recognized each other immediately and it was so nice to see a friendly face!

During the application process I would email her and ask questions about things I was unsure about. I asked her advice about what should go in my personal statement (her advice was very surprising) and checked in with her to make sure that things I was snail mailing to the school were getting there. When I walked into my interview we recognized each other immediately and it was so nice to see a friendly face![/QUOTE]

Your credentials were very important towards getting in, but wouldn't you say that this simple fact of them recognizing your face played a tremendous part in your acceptance?

I am consulting with my school of choice and I've made dam*sure that they know who I am. The hardest part of the whole thing is to get into school, and ANYTHING that you can do to make admissions know who you are only can help you. Frankly, I consider persistent contact with admissions a must because the more they see you, the more at home they will feel when they talk about you.

Maybe this lady will see all the postings and offer more information as to what she has done to stand out at the schools so far.

Your thoughts on the above.

All4MyDaughter said:
I agree. Set up a meeting with the school.

When I decided to apply to Kentucky I made an appointment with the pre-pharmacy advisor, took my transcripts, resume, etc. and asked her for her honest assessment of my chances and what else I needed to do.

We came up with a semester by semester schedule of how I would do the pre-reqs, when I would take the PCAT, etc. I also got advice about shadowing, etc.

During the application process I would email her and ask questions about things I was unsure about. I asked her advice about what should go in my personal statement (her advice was very surprising) and checked in with her to make sure that things I was snail mailing to the school were getting there. When I walked into my interview we recognized each other immediately and it was so nice to see a friendly face!

I did the same sort of thing. I contacted the school way ahead of time and asked them any questions I had during the year before I applied. I set up my own interview (interviews weren't required when I was accepted) and really put myself out there to show them how interested I was in that school. I had a similar situation in that moving was not an option so I did everything I could to make myself stand out.

Good luck :luck:

TennisBoy78 said:
I am consulting with my school of choice and I've made dam*sure that they know who I am... ANYTHING that you can do to make admissions know who you are only can help you. Frankly, I consider persistent contact with admissions a must because the more they see you, the more at home they will feel when they talk about you

Id give you a denial letter...

You're playing with a double edge sword, and frankly your attitude would piss me off.

Don't cut yourself..

I know some of you people are new and don't know Michele. She knows her options and applied to both UF (st pete site) and Creighton last year. After not getting in, she returned to school, retook classes and will be getting her BS this summer.

If she gets rejected a second time, should she continue to apply? This was the question. Her application won't be any better the 3rd time than the 2nd time and it only gets more competitive each year.

I think she should apply one more time, but at the same time start looking into masters programs at USF in Tampa. Take the GRE and maybe start a masters of public health or physician's assistant program.

dgroulx said:
I know some of you people are new and don't know Michele. She knows her options and applied to both UF (st pete site) and Creighton last year. After not getting in, she returned to school, retook classes and will be getting her BS this summer.

If she gets rejected a second time, should she continue to apply? This was the question. Her application won't be any better the 3rd time than the 2nd time and it only gets more competitive each year.

I think she should apply one more time, but at the same time start looking into masters programs at USF in Tampa. Take the GRE and maybe start a masters of public health or physician's assistant program.

Did Michele make an appointment with admissions as to find out how she needs to stand out? If anything, this would allow them to match a face with the application, which could only help her chances (to which she desperately needs). I care about Michele but she nor you answered my question to which I want to know.

Honestly, if she goes to the source (admissions) directly, she would already know the answer to her question and wouldn't be fishing for it on here. We can't be admissions for her.

Pertaining to the MPH vs Physician's Assistant, those are completely different (seems like she would do better with Physician's Assistant with a science background). An MPH degree is mostly an administrative position, which is fine, but there are many more people with that degree who have no such science background at all. She can also consider OT or PT as well.

Your comments.

TennisBoy78 said:
Did Michele make an appointment with admissions as to find out how she needs to stand out? If anything, this would allow them to match a face with the application, which could only help her chances (to which she desperately needs). I care about Michele but she nor you answered my question to which I want to know.

Honestly, if she goes to the source (admissions) directly, she would already know the answer to her question and wouldn't be fishing for it on here. We can't be admissions for her.

Pertaining to the MPH vs Physician's Assistant, those are completely different (seems like she would do better with Physician's Assistant with a science background). An MPH degree is mostly an administrative position, which is fine, but there are many more people with that degree who have no such science background at all. She can also consider OT or PT as well.

Your comments.

I know Michele talked with admissions. I doubt that she talked with anyone from Creighton face to face, because she'd have to fly to Nebraska.

There are several people in the MPH program at USF (where Michele goes to school) that got their first degree in a science field. I know one guy who did that to strengthen his app for med school, when he didn't get in. My April pharmacy rotation is in administration.

dgroulx said:
I know Michele talked with admissions. I doubt that she talked with anyone from Creighton face to face, because she'd have to fly to Nebraska.

There are several people in the MPH program at USF (where Michele goes to school) that got their first degree in a science field. I know one guy who did that to strengthen his app for med school, when he didn't get in. My April pharmacy rotation is in administration.

Two responses:

If she talked to admissions, doesn't she know what she has to do? (Why in the heck she is talking to us about it---WE ARE NOT ADMISSIONS)

Secondly, the guy that got the MPH wasted another year or two out of his life for a degree which was meant to be a stepping stone for him (into Medical School). What good is that?

I'm not saying anything else on this because there is no right answer here, but statistically, the odds are against this woman. Failing to realize this only makes her believe that admissions are out of their mind for not accepting her. If so, then she should channel this energy to them, not to us.

If you cant take criticism constructively, then don't bother asking the question. I do believe this woman wants answers, and we in this forum CANNOT be qualified to be admissions at the school that she wants to apply to.

Michele-What did admissions tell you?