At you interview, when you get asked...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that a decent amount of schools (judging from SDN's interview feedback) ask what you think the biggest problem in health care is. Some go a step further and ask you what you would do about it. Any thoughts?

I was thinking the number of uninsured Americans. Thoughts to fix it: national health coverage. Not sure how this would work, though.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

SeminoleFan3 said:
I know that a decent amount of schools (judging from SDN's interview feedback) ask what you think the biggest problem in health care is. Some go a step further and ask you what you would do about it. Any thoughts?

I was thinking the number of uninsured Americans. Thoughts to fix it: national health coverage. Not sure how this would work, though.

Anyone else?

You might read the book "Critical Condition". It is a fairly recent book on health policy but I cant remember the authors. That will give you A LOT of background info on insurance issues in the US and health care costs, etc... that should give you some ideas.

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...3229/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4490291-4648027?ie=UTF8

I've always felt that if I knew how to solve the biggest problems in healthcare, I would be going into politics instead of getting a medical degree... I mean, if people who've been trying to solve these problems for 50 years and have experience in the area can't solve them, how do you expect me to have a realistic idea???

Members don't see this ad :)
jillibean said:
You might read the book "Critical Condition". It is a fairly recent book on health policy but I cant remember the authors. That will give you A LOT of background info on insurance issues in the US and health care costs, etc... that should give you some ideas.

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...3229/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4490291-4648027?ie=UTF8

It's funny you say that because I posted this thread right after having bought it this afternoon. So far, it's a pretty good read.

Richspiders07 said:
I've always felt that if I knew how to solve the biggest problems in healthcare, I would be going into politics instead of getting a medical degree... I mean, if people who've been trying to solve these problems for 50 years and have experience in the area can't solve them, how do you expect me to have a realistic idea???

I think they just want to see that you have thought about the issues and have some ideas, however idealistic, about how to improve the situation.

Richspiders07 said:

I agree. At my interviews I have stated, "The permanent solution will most likely be found in our legislatures."

The prevalence of chronic diseases and the reemergence of infectious disease is important. (Cancer, Stroke, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Obesity, and Arthritis. Then of course you have multidrug resistant bacteria and super viruses)

Then you can talk about ethics of genetics in terms of how much information is really good. Once we know the entirety of our genome in terms of what it means how can the public be informed of what their code means? Will insurance companies raise rates based on someone's genetics? Who will have access to this information? Where will it be stored? Will the information be used for parents who want to control the sex of their baby by practicing female infanticide? Will they abort if it is female in other countries such as India or China?

gapotts2003 said:
The prevalence of chronic diseases and the reemergence of infectious disease is important. (Cancer, Stroke, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Obesity, and Arthritis. Then of course you have multidrug resistant bacteria and super viruses)

Then you can talk about ethics of genetics in terms of how much information is really good. Once we know the entirety of our genome in terms of what it means how can the public be informed of what their code means? Will insurance companies raise rates based on someone's genetics? Who will have access to this information? Where will it be stored? Will the information be used for parents who want to control the sex of their baby by practicing female infanticide? Will they abort if it is female in other countries such as India or China?

I've never thought about the ethics of genetics. That's pretty cool

gapotts2003 said:

What about nutrition and how it relates to these and other things? Totally underestimated area of health and one of the least understood.